Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
JoeBanks

Default The Nice Guys

things you expect to find in a Shane Black buddy detective/cop movie:

Los Angeles,

women in distress,

men in shambles,

ironic running commentary from said men as their case unfolds in twists and turns,

conspiracy and corruption that leads back to the seat of power,

a cold, evil killer who says little but kills a lot,

astounding violence and amazing action set pieces,

and Christmas.

The Nice Guys checks all the boxes in a comfortable and entertaining way, even if the MacGuffin might not be the strongest one we've ever seen. Sometime it's fun just to sit back and enjoy being in the good hands of a consummate pro
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #2
mgwriter

Default Re: The Nice Guys

I thought this was just okay. I guess films that are just okay get 90% ratings ar Rotten Tomatoes these days given the current landscape.

The thing that kept pulling me out of the illusion was the little girl (wise beyond her years) helping to solve the case. Even a terrible parent wouldn't repeatedly allow their child to be in that much danger.

Wasn't a fan of the little boy helping Tony Stark in IM3 either. But I guess the little girl in Nice Guys gives all the children who watch rated R movies a character they can relate to.
mgwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
roscoegino

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwriter
The thing that kept pulling me out of the illusion was the little girl (wise beyond her years) helping to solve the case. Even a terrible parent wouldn't repeatedly allow their child to be in that much danger.

Wasn't a fan of the little boy helping Tony Stark in IM3 either. But I guess the little girl in Nice Guys gives all the children who watch rated R movies a character they can relate to.
Been one of Shane's trademarks. He did this kind of thing in THE LAST BOY SCOUT as well.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
nativeson

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoegino View Post
Been one of Shane's trademarks. He did this kind of thing in THE LAST BOY SCOUT as well.
And Monster Squad. It's a trademark, so not really a beef that holds much weight, IMO.
nativeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
nativeson

Bingo.

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Why...ys-132597.html
Old 05-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
mgwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
And Monster Squad. It's a trademark, so not really a beef that holds much weight, IMO.
Monster Squad was about kinds in peril, like the Goonies. the Nice Guys was an adult movie, where adult character puts/allows daughter to be in great peril, big difference.

Shane Black doesn't do the child helper thing in every movie, so it's not a signature move. It's merely a device for adding levity to a story that he seems to rely on too often when the plot gets bogged down and too heavy feeling. And the way it was used in Nice Guys was especially grating IMO. Curious if the people commenting here actually saw the movie?
Old 05-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
tuukka

I haven't seen this film, but the kid in IM3 was good.

To me it sounds like it's just a pet peeve of yours. Some people dislike too smart and capable kids in movies. Some dislike women who can kick ass (a reoccurring theme on these boards).

A lot of movies are designed to be fantasies. Unbelievable, unlikely things happen. For most of the audiences, that's part of the appeal.
tuukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
mgwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuukka View Post
I haven't seen this film, but the kid in IM3 was good.

To me it sounds like it's just a pet peeve of yours. Some people dislike too smart and capable kids in movies. Some dislike women who can kick ass (a reoccurring theme on these boards).

A lot of movies are designed to be fantasies. Unbelievable, unlikely things happen. For most of the audiences, that's part of the appeal.
Although I wasn't a fan of the kid in IM3, it was a super hero movie so I get it. Incorporating kids into story gives the youngsters in the audience someone they relate to while watching super hero flick.

Nice Guys was a violent rated R movie. The kid helping solve the crime and having the kid's parent put them in danger was off tonally. As I said in my earlier post, I guess it did create a character for all those children watching rated R movies to relate to?

Appearantly not many people saw this flick on the all important opening weekend. I guess they were all too busy complaining about how studios don't make many non-superhero movies for adults anymore.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
nativeson

Exactly. It's *R,* so all the moralistic bellyaching about poisoning young minds is MOOT.

And Monster Squad had child profanity in it. My point.

"Especially grating" is subjective, as I don't agree. The detective's daughter was adorable. It was *the girl they were searching for* who grated. Which was very calculated, IMO, considering the rest of the plot (continuing to chase her down and try to placate her for another thirty minutes would have been a real drag).

Not only did I see it, *I knew* kids in the seventies who talked like that. And there's bigger problems in the world, especially when you consider the *heart* of the detective's daughter character, and her sweet efforts to change Healy's nature
Old 05-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #10
mgwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
Exactly. It's *R,* so all the moralistic bellyaching about poisoning young minds is MOOT.

And Monster Squad had child profanity in it. My point.

"Especially grating" is subjective, as I don't agree. The detective's daughter was adorable, and it was *the girl they were searching for* that was grating. Which was very calculated, IMO, considering the rest of the plot (continuing to chase her down and try to placate her for another thirty minutes would have been a real drag).

Not only did I see it, *I knew* kids in the seventies who talked like that. And there's bigger problems in the world, especially when you consider the *heart* of the detective's daughter character, and her sweet efforts to change Healy's nature
Of course my opinion of a movie is subjective...duh? So is yours.

I never said anything about the profanity. I have no problem with children swearing. That's how they talk.

I didn't do any "moralistic bellyaching". My problem was that it blew the illusion for me to have this kid who's character was tonally off for the movie thrown in to solve plot problems more so than she was there to solve the crime. Using a kid to add levity rather than fixing the narrative is a cheap device.

I didn't say the movie was horrible. I said it was okay, and takes nothing away from Shane Black's past successes.