Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
JoeBanks

Default Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

much like last year's award season "Manchester By The Sea," Martin McDonough's "Three Billboards" is an exploration of grief and loss. But where Casey Affleck's character in MBTS was all bottled-up guilt and quiet desperation, Frances McDormand's Mildred Hayes is pure unfiltered rage and anger. if nothing else, Mildred will take a place next to Marge Gunderson as McDormand's most memorable and realized roles. and like "Fargo," TBOEM is also part cop story/mystery (though not the better part and not as well-constructed as a Coen Bros. whodunit). as in McDonough's "In Bruges," dialogue stands out -- profane, gallows humor, but also with insight even as the characters cut each other with their words. the ending sorta falls apart in the last 10-15 minutes but until that point it's mostly great.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
WriteByNight

Default Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Loved it. Disagree about the final 15 minutes. I thought it was brilliant from start to finish. Sharply written script really made me feel as though the characters were right next door to me. No false notes in acting. Here's hoping Rockwell, Harrelson, McDormand and McDonagh all get noms.

And yeah, I'd like to think of Mildred as Marge's Southern cousin.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
roscoegino

McDonagh knows his characters backwards and forwards. All the nuances, the quirks. Marinated in realism. Well done. Best film I've seen thus far this year.

SPOILER AHEAD: You can make a separate film out of Willoughby's letters. They were hilarious.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
LateNightWriter

Brilliant film from start to finish. A script that gives actors at the top of their game the opportunity to fly. I was in awe of each note-perfect performance. There was nothing in this film that was predictable, not one moment. Its like watching a master class in screenwriting, directing and acting. Unbelievable.

Late Night Writer
LateNightWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Joaneasley

I think it's a great film.
Joaneasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
mlongton

Superb film. I understand JoeBanks problem with t5he ending. McD obviously wanted to avoid a deus ex machina ending but also wanted some kind of closure - not sure what else he could have done. Great acting, dialog, direction and photography. I don't know why they didn't change the title - I don't believe there's a square mile anywhere in Missouri that could possibly be the landscape of this film (shot in North Carolina). But why should we care... How many years has it been since the studios produced a film like this?
mlongton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
SBdeb

Agree it was well done, well acted, unpredictable and kept my interest, and also with JoeBanks about the last 15 minutes.

But I still don't see it as one of the best films of the year.

In my case, the film was largely harmed by the audience laughing loudly in bizarre scenes of the films. It's still surreal for me to remember thinking "what am I missing here" and "when did firebombing become funny?"
SBdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #8
Darthclaw13
Regular

Saw this one about a week ago. I enjoyed it a great deal. Didn't find myself shifting a lot in my seat. It also went by pretty quick which to me means it must be a good film for time to go by without me noticing.

My only 2 issues are: one, the weird reactions/behaviors of some of the characters. Mainly the mom character. Especially when the ex-husband comes over and grabs her by the throat and throws her up against the wall and the son puts the knife to the dads neck. Very intense moment to show the volatile relationship. Then right after they sit at the table and the mom is comforting the dad and patting his hand. What? Sorry, hard to believe that behavior. Plus there were other times her behavior was just odd.

And two, the ending. Many people like an open ended situation at the end of a film. Not me. Not saying I have to have everything packaged up with a nice little bow. But with this film I am now left eternally wondering "Will they or won't they when they get there?". Frustrating. I understand it gives the audience something to ruminate on after the film, but I personally don't like a film to just end like that in the middle of something.
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #9
CthulhuRises

Definitely the best film I've seen all year. Rockwell is criminally underrated.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
SundownInRetreat

Along with Logan, this was the film of 2017.
SundownInRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote