Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Writers & Scripts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #11
Terrance Mulloy

Default Re: KILLING ON CARNIVAL ROW by Travis Beacham

It's funny - this is the one script I just can't seem to sit down and read. I keep trying to, but everytime, I end up either forgetting about it, or I start reading another script instead.

I have not heard one bad thing about this script. Everyone loves it. I really gotta read it.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
ShaneBlackFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
It's funny - this is the one script I just can't seem to sit down and read. I keep trying to, but everytime, I end up either forgetting about it, or I start reading another script instead.

I have not heard one bad thing about this script. Everyone loves it. I really gotta read it.

Same here. It took me a few weeks to actually read it. It's worth the wait.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
lordmanji

i think we all agree it's an awesome script. it oozes originality and style. so i'll point out some of what i didnt like about it which largely has to do with plotting.

SPOILER ALERT

philostrate runs from the cops. he had no reason to. he just saved a faerie's life. the logic behind this was razor thin as he somehow thought the faerie in his home would be incriminating. this took me out of the story for about five pages. but he did such a great job in the first act that i kept reading and all was eventually forgiven.

philostrate goes to the museum to check out the dead faerie even though there are a ton of constables there. and somehow doesnt get noticed until the end. even if you tip your hat to conceal your face, policemen who have worked with you unless theyre daft will realize it's you.

a huge coincidence occurs in the beginning where philostrate just happens to stumble upon unseelie jack attacking Vignette.

another remarkable coincidence occurs when the mayor kicks out the young faerie who then happens to be swooped up by unseelie jack.

but dont get me wrong, even with these issues where i felt the plot felt forced by the writer, the world is just too amazing to pass up. i think del toro wouldve been a fantastic director for the movie and i can see why its in development hell right now since it's gonna take someone of del toro's vision to really pull it off. i hope they dont jump the gun and place a lesser director into this world.
lordmanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #14
FilmTony
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji View Post
i think we all agree it's an awesome script. it oozes originality and style. so i'll point out some of what i didnt like about it which largely has to do with plotting.

SPOILER ALERT

philostrate runs from the cops. he had no reason to. he just saved a faerie's life. the logic behind this was razor thin as he somehow thought the faerie in his home would be incriminating. this took me out of the story for about five pages. but he did such a great job in the first act that i kept reading and all was eventually forgiven.

philostrate goes to the museum to check out the dead faerie even though there are a ton of constables there. and somehow doesnt get noticed until the end. even if you tip your hat to conceal your face, policemen who have worked with you unless theyre daft will realize it's you.

a huge coincidence occurs in the beginning where philostrate just happens to stumble upon unseelie jack attacking Vignette.

another remarkable coincidence occurs when the mayor kicks out the young faerie who then happens to be swooped up by unseelie jack.

but dont get me wrong, even with these issues where i felt the plot felt forced by the writer, the world is just too amazing to pass up. i think del toro wouldve been a fantastic director for the movie and i can see why its in development hell right now since it's gonna take someone of del toro's vision to really pull it off. i hope they dont jump the gun and place a lesser director into this world.

Agreed with the criticisms. I seem to be the only person on the planet who read it and looked like this afterward

Don't get me wrong, it oozes style and has lots of cool ideas, but I was disappointed with how by-the-numbers the plotting was. Some characters made very odd decisions. There's some bad dialogue in a lot of spots.

Ironically, Guillermo Del Toro is reviving this script as a series for Amazon. I say "ironically" because I think Carnival Row suffers from a lot of the same flaws that I see in his FX show "The Strain." Cool world, lots of interesting ideas, but its weighed down by thin characters, weird plot contrivances, and lots of predictable story beats.

Granted, I could be very wrong since everyone loves the script. Then again, I wasn't a Pacific Rim fan for a lot of the same reasons so maybe it's just really not my style.
FilmTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #15
asteven50
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmTony View Post
Agreed with the criticisms. I seem to be the only person on the planet who read it and looked like this afterward

Don't get me wrong, it oozes style and has lots of cool ideas, but I was disappointed with how by-the-numbers the plotting was. Some characters made very odd decisions. There's some bad dialogue in a lot of spots.

Ironically, Guillermo Del Toro is reviving this script as a series for Amazon. I say "ironically" because I think Carnival Row suffers from a lot of the same flaws that I see in his FX show "The Strain." Cool world, lots of interesting ideas, but its weighed down by thin characters, weird plot contrivances, and lots of predictable story beats.

Granted, I could be very wrong since everyone loves the script. Then again, I wasn't a Pacific Rim fan for a lot of the same reasons so maybe it's just really not my style.
Agree - it's really the ability to world build that really got everybody's attention here. Beacham hasn't shown he is the most brilliant writer when it comes to dialogue or character.

Oh, and if you love this script I advise you don't go back and read Midsummer Night's Dream. Might kill your appreciation a little as half the names and locations are lifted straight from it. =/
Old 04-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #16
bjamin

Think I got about 15 pages before I quit. Too much ink for my taste. But he does have a visual style that impressed me
bjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #17
bjamin

Did they flip this into a series? Pretty sure I saw a commercial for it yesterday. Pretty nifty if true.
bjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #18
docgonzo

Yes, it's an Amazon series now called CARNIVAL ROW that's premiering on Aug. 30.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:32 PM   #19
Mark Somers

They're were some silly coincidences. The one lordmanji points out could have been easily remedied, I think so anyways, by Philostrate actually acting on a tip or a hunch that brings him in the vicinity of unseelie jack when he attacks Vignette.

I have to agree too that Philostrate running from his own colleagues doesn't make sense but then maybe it does if it is shown earlier just how militarized the police are. The police are flying heavily armed "drakes" ( helicopter equivalences ) while chasing Philostrate and Vignette. Vignette is as far as the police know an innocent victim but they're firing on the both of them with a gatling gun , in a residential area no less. Reminds me of Fallout 4. Or the US in a few years. And the Mayor seems to have his own heavily armed army.

The world building is great. I pictured the faeries with huge wings, not like Disney fairy wings, but wings that actually look like they could support the weight of someone. And little things like how vampires can't drink faerie blood.

Very well executed.

"Hey! We don't lick our balls in this house!" -- Albert Einstein

Mark Somers is offline   Reply With Quote