Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confessions: I havn't seen...

Fight Club (Hype + knowing the spoiler has caused some reluctance)

The Godfather 2 & 3 (I dunno why)

Good Will Hunting

Crash

Thelma & Louise

The Usual Suspects

Citizen Kane

Other random confessions:
    -I thought Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was mega boring.
    -I didn't like Good Felas. Wasn't charmed at all by the voice over.
    -Hated the movie Heat. I'll defend that hate.
    -Confused by the praise A History of Violence received. Love Cronen, love comic, but that movie...

I've got plenty more but let's hear yours.
    Last edited by SkyPolynomial; 08-24-2011, 02:43 PM. Reason: additional info
    -chris

Re: Confessions: I havn't seen...

I'm with you on Citizen Kane. I tried to watch it a few times and was bored to death. Same with Lord of the Rings. It just dragged on for me, only got through part of the first one.
    Last edited by LighterD; 08-24-2011, 03:12 PM.
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.-- The Late Great Bill Hicks...

Comment

I haven't seen The Godfather Part III based on all the negativity associated with it.

I've made a strong effort to see everything that has been labeled a "classic" ... seen everything on AFI list and all the Best Picture winners.

However, I can still play... I have never seen Caddyshack or Animal House.

Comment

I haven't seen The Sandlot.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Confessions?

Nothing posted thusfar to be ashamed about, thusfar; besides, the "talkies" are just a passing fad, (like Hollywood's "colorization" gimmick and "3D").

However..., if you haven't seen METROPOLIS, (lately), you're missing something!!!

I'll confess that I haven't seen all of Mr. Martell's INVISIBLE MOM.
          JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Originally posted by SkyPolynomial View Post

Good Will Hunting

Crash

Thelma & Louise

The Usual Suspects

Citizen Kane

-Confused by the praise A History of Violence received. Love Cronen, love comic, but that movie...

Alright - I'll bite.

Some of those are "whatever" to me, because there's a handful of essentials we've all yet to make time for I'm sure (though Avatar? c'mon. who didn't see that in 3-D)

I will challenge you on a couple of random notes. Heat? You're just being difficult. And History of Violence deserves every gleeming drop of love it gets.

Comment

Elmer Gantry

Raging Bull

(until a few days ago, Patton)

Hotel For Dogs

Comment

I will challenge you on a couple of random notes. Heat? You're just being difficult. And History of Violence deserves every gleeming drop of love it gets.
                Heh,

You know, here's the thing with heat. I watched it for the 1st time earlier this year. Among other things, I just couldn't connect/care about any of the love stories; they felt rushed, and awkward. Sometimes unbelievable. And many of the films scenes felt extraneous and drawn out. I liked the shots though – so visually I enjoyed the movie, but plot wise not so much. And for sure, I’m exaggerating using the word hate. Overall I just wasn’t on board.So by the end of the film I just felt, meh. And felt that it was way over hyped. The last sequence was good. But yeah, I'm out of line for saying I hated it. I just wasn't really on board. Didn't care about the set ups. The battle between protag and antag not as 'epic' as I was told it was. Maybe it's just the time difference. So yeah, you hit the nail on the head, I was being a bit difficult but I stand by my issues with the movie.

But regarding A History of Violence, I don't know what to say. I'm really just in a state of confusion over what was seen in that film. I was looking forward to it and really wanted to like it. I’ll try to explain my issues but will probably fail because it has been a while…

[SPOILERS]
                I liked the opening, as well as the entire 1st act. But after that, except for the scene where son saves father, the plot felt kinda weak due to lack of explanation. I know I’m biased having read the comic, but I just don’t know on this one. The third act was particularly troublesome to me. It felt like things just happened with little explanation about who was who. Details which are found in the comic. But I’m not gonna be the nerd guy to flail arms because movie didn’t do exactly as the comic did. I’m flailing my arms because I felt the plot was handled poorly, reducing its potential affect on me.

Protag, due to his past, ends up killing a bunch of dudes and scaring his family. The relationships between him and who he kills are hardly touched. They might as well have been random thugs. When we get to the end of the movie, and introduce the protags brother, no character building has been done between the two. So for me, he felt like a random baddie, one more dude to easily dispatch of -- there’s no emotional attachment, no extra stakes, no extra tension, even though it’s his brother, and they have an interesting past. I’m asked to care about a relationship I don’t really know about. For sure you can respond with, that’s what it’s all about. I’ll take that in, but it won’t change my opinion too much. I’ll still feel like, instead of being more, it was just a dude dispatching of some loose, poorly explained threads of his past. With violence ooooooo

Special note: No amount of Cronenberg’s explanations will elevate the sex scenes to something important and arty. To me, they were just Cronenberg, being Cronenberg. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I didn’t think they were necessary. Hardly the reason I wasn’t into the film tho, just a little cherry on top. And yes, I’m aware of the explanation given...

But perhaps you can help me out just a bit. Let me know what you liked about the movie. I’m not the stubborn type at all, so I’ll definitely hear you out on it. It may just be the case that I missed the point.
                Last edited by SkyPolynomial; 08-25-2011, 09:15 AM.
                -chris

Comment

Originally posted by Donreel View Post
                  Elmer Gantry

Raging Bull

(until a few days ago, Patton)

Hotel For Dogs
                  Hah, I did Raging Bull just last month. =o
                  -chris

Comment

Originally posted by LighterD View Post
                    Same with Lord of the Rings. It just dragged on for me, only got through part of the first one.
                    Nice one. IMO, you win so far with this one. Really?
                    -chris

Comment

Re: Confessions?

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
                      Nothing posted thusfar to be ashamed about, thusfar; besides, the "talkies" are just a passing fad, (like Hollywood's "colorization" gimmick and "3D").

However..., if you haven't seen METROPOLIS, (lately), you're missing something!!!

I'll confess that I haven't seen all of Mr. Martell's INVISIBLE MOM.
                      =D

I watched Metropolis a while back. But I'll probably watch again given this new version.
                      -chris

Comment

Originally posted by Popcorntreect View Post
                        I haven't seen The Godfather Part III based on all the negativity associated with it.

I've made a strong effort to see everything that has been labeled a "classic" ... seen everything on AFI list and all the Best Picture winners.

However, I can still play... I have never seen Caddyshack or Animal House.

I don't even know what Caddyshack or Animal House is about

I have heard of them though.
                        -chris

Comment

I don't even know what Caddyshack or Animal House is about

I have heard of them though.
                          http://youtu.be/q7vtWB4owdE

There, that outta take care of that.

Comment

Good Will Hunting

Crash

Thelma & Louise

The Usual Suspects

Citizen Kane

Fight Club - Great, see it now.
                            The Godfather 2 - Great, see it now.
                            The Godfather 3 - not as bad as it's regarded, but nowhere near 1 and 2.
                            Good Will Hunting - Great, see it now.
                            Crash - meh.
                            Thelma & Louise - Great, see it now.
                            The Usual Suspects - Great, see it now.
                            Citizen Kane - Great but dated, see it now.
                            Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - overrated but great.
                            Goodfellas - overrated but great.
                            Heat - very overrated but good.
                            History of Violence - good enough, I guess.

Comment

How could you never have seen Caddyshack or Animal House - were you never like 13 years old or what?

I'm with this guy on HISTORY OF VIOLENCE. It had some cool moments and a great lead performance (better than the written part) by Viggo but ultimately the execution of the premise fell short for me. I'm baffled that the screenwriter was Oscar nominated for the script. The villains were like one dimensional cartoon characters which was a shame because Ed Harris and William Hurt are both amazing actors.

And the Philly of it all was, well, ummm, no.

Fight Club - this was awesome.

The Godfather 2 - Awesome but didn't enjoy it as much as the first. The fact that Deniro won an Oscar for this surprises me.

The Godfather 3 - I saw it but don't remember it.

Good Will Hunting - This is still poignant but some of the scenes don't age well. The slow motion fight scene almost plays comically now.

Crash - see Cronenberg's!

Thelma & Louise - Very good. Very fun.

The Usual Suspects - Another movie that hasn't age well. Just seems a little silly now.

Citizen Kane - Saw it but don't really remember a lot of it aside from "Rosebud." Love the origins of the Rosebud thing, too. Gotta dig a tycoon who nickname's his chick's clit.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - saw it but don't remember it aside from the end which I liked.

Goodfellas - amazing.

Heat - solid.

History of Violence - see above
                              Last edited by joe9alt; 08-25-2011, 10:22 AM.
                              "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Working...
                              X