Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Saw it in Imax yesterday at 7:30. Packed theater. Some people actually had to leave who came in late because they couldn't find a seat. Age skewed a little older, probably around thirty. Didn't see any tweens or little kids unlike for Twilight.

The movie itself was really, really enjoyable. Brad Bird, the writers, and all actors especially Tom Cruise really put their everything into it and it shows. The film had a breezy touch which pairs well with the set pieces of intrigue and deception. In these ways, it reminded me of the first movie. But Brad Bird injected quite a bit of humor and it worked. Some parts, the entire theater was cracking up. Best way to describe the humor is something from an Indiana Jones movie, with Simon Pegg a great comedic foil. Believe it or not, Jeremy Renner doesn't have bad comedy chops either. The action was almost nonstop, and different than what we've seen, and while I didn't understand every single goal of their team, I didn't mind because it was like watching them go on an actual mission if that makes sense. The centerpiece of it all was Tom Cruise. He anchored the movie; he has a way of drawing you in unlike any other actor or actress and we're talking about a tentpole action movie. I hope they bring back the same team for the next installment.

p.s. And the Batman preview was spectacular. People keep saying it was 6 or 8 minutes. It felt like 2 minutes or maybe we just saw the trailer?

Re: Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

In before the haters.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
      In before the haters.
      Define 'hater'.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
        Define 'hater'.
        i think most peeps around here will agree that all you need to do is look in the mirror!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
          p.s. And the Batman preview was spectacular. People keep saying it was 6 or 8 minutes. It felt like 2 minutes or maybe we just saw the trailer?
          You probably just saw the teaser....

Comment

Brad Bird is the real deal Holyfield. Really hope Bay opts out of T:4 and they give it to this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
              You probably just saw the teaser....
              Yeah, you're right. I looked it up and only the larger Imax screens with the 70mm projectors showed the 6 minute preview. It's all good, I didn't go to MI for the preview. But it does make me want to see MI again on the larger screens

Comment

Saw it, and was really really impressed. I didn't have any expectations. I'm a pretty big Cruise fan.

Two things stuck out to me about the movie.

1 - I thought Cruise did a great job of not being a camera hog. It really felt like an ensemble piece. He was the main character, but it never felt like the others were just acting around him.

2 - A lot of awesome moments of suspense and surprise that didn't rely on loud bangs or shock. A lot of us in the theater were literally gripping the seats and leaning back from the spectacle of a few scenes. If you've seen it, you probably know which one.

As far as The Dark Knight Rises preview, I really dug it. It's too bad that Batman Begins didn't open with Scarecrow performing some sort of heist, Nolan almost has a Bond movie signature opening going on now.
                Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

I basically want to see this for the set piece on the Burj Khalifa. Am sort of bummed about it because wrote a script a few years back set in that building, and gosh darn it I thought it was a great location to film, and I was right, oh wells.

Comment

Won tickets to this. Hope to see it next week. Really dug the Third one.
                    Half a bubble off level... systems normal.

Comment

I thought maybe this wasn't going to be all that great since I hadn't heard anybody really talking about it....but man I enjoyed every minute of this. I'm a Tom Cruise fan so not sure if that had anything to do with it, but I was especially surprised with Paula Patton's performance. I first rolled my eyes when I saw she was in it because people seem to hype her up...but she did GREAT and kicked some serious a$$ and not in a cheap, laughable, girly Colombiana type of way either. There is only a few females I actually believe when they're fighting in action movies and she's now one of them (based on her performance in this). Jeremy Renner was good as expected. Liked his character. Even the other guy with the blonde hair who was sort of the comic relief had me cracking up. I think this was the best installment. Great production all around.
                      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
                        I basically want to see this for the set piece on the Burj Khalifa. Am sort of bummed about it because wrote a script a few years back set in that building, and gosh darn it I thought it was a great location to film, and I was right, oh wells.
                        I'll see your 'bummed' and raise you.

My optioned Shotgun Cinderella script, written early 2008, is almost entirely set in the Burj Khalifa (or what was then the Burj Dubai).

I wrote it (as I'm sure Cap Jack knows) when it was next to impossible to find details on the building because it was all being kept secret. I had to go through reams of google pages till I found a pdf issued to security in case fires. Even emailed the firm who designed the layout (which is supposed to be a flower from above) and got no reply.

So, when I first saw the trailer with Cruise dangling outside a familiar building, I would say bummed was an understatement. There may even have been tears. There was definitely one or two rum and cokes to ease the pain!

Comment

Mission Impossible was awesome. Great action movie. Tom Cruise hasn't lost a step. The fact he does most of the stunts himself makes it even more impressive. Brad Bird's career doing live action looks bright. Definitely worth the money seeing it in theaters.
                          Last edited by Deion22; 12-26-2011, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I can't stand Cruise, but I'll have to agree...MI:4 is all kinds of awesome. The rare film that reminds me of why I love film.

Really rare anymore.
                            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I really enjoyed it.
                              I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

Working...
                              X