Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #21
sixridgeroad
Regular

Default Re: Arrival

Scriptus -- totally, and I did get that while watching flick -- but for me it came a day late/dollar short in terms of my real-time experience of the story.
sixridgeroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:25 AM   #22
Margie Kaptanoglu
Regular

I loved this. For me it worked completely because of its emotional and philosophical content. I'm usually very analytical (perhaps over-analytical) when watching a film, but here I mainly felt the movie. Still, I can understand how Arrival would not appeal to everyone. There are certainly plenty of holes that a close analysis will reveal.

I love that I'm still thinking about it days later.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com
Margie Kaptanoglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #23
Cyfress

I couldn't wait to rent this when available. I finally had the chance to watch it. I liked it. I watched it a second time just from a development standpoint trying to figure out what story elements the writer is building in every scene. Just look at the thought that was put into sequence #1 of the script. So, we open up right away in scene A of a bookend. Something powerful that will come back into play at the end. More than that, because of the cinematic experience where 'flashbacks' are the norm, the writer knows that we will think it is a flashback, but really at the end we find out it was a flash forward.

Right away the film opens with a scene that works on many different levels.

Be interested to see what notation was used, if any, in the script in the slugs of those scenes. Obviously, Flashback can't be noted cause it is not a flashback.
Cyfress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #24
Ronaldinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfress View Post
Be interested to see what notation was used, if any, in the script in the slugs of those scenes. Obviously, Flashback can't be noted cause it is not a flashback.
The script is a great read, and it's interesting to see the changes that have happened in the development process since the script floating around out there is a few years old.

IIRC, it does actually call them flashbacks. It's a little sleight-of-hand. probably the right choice so as to not tip its hand.
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #25
Cyfress

Interesting. I guess a small cheat there is overlooked when the flash forward will is paid off.
Cyfress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #26
Captain Jack Sparrow

I enjoyed this film, it was an intelligent piece of sci-fi which is quite rare these days. The concepts are quite interesting, reminded me of bits of Arthur C Clarke novels in areas.

More films like this and less comic book films please.
Captain Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #27
ChadStrohl

Good movie. Great visuals.

But since Jump the Shark became Nuke the Fridge, I propose we change God in the Machine to Aliens in the Machine. That's where this story lacked, I think.

I did enjoy it though so it wasn't a total loss.
ChadStrohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:50 AM   #28
Bananos
Regular

I love the movie. Sicario was fantastic too from the same director. But unlike Sicario, I don't think Arrival had great cinematography.

It was clear that the director wanted the movie to be shot in a way that Tarrence Mallik movies are shot. But arrival is shot in a very bland and dark way with a bluish light. I would argue that it is technically very flawed. Unlike in Lubezki's work with Malik, where yellow and orange colors work are making dark parts even darker because of contrast. The bluish color in Arrival just makes everything bland. They probably wanted to reseble actual daylight or natural light. But to me, this failed completely.

Also the framing of the shots were often awkward and mediocre. I just hate to think about how much better it could have been if it had been made with a better cinematographer.
Bananos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:13 AM   #29
Mpimentel
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananos View Post
I love the movie. Sicario was fantastic too from the same director. But unlike Sicario, I don't think Arrival had great cinematography.

It was clear that the director wanted the movie to be shot in a way that Tarrence Mallik movies are shot. But arrival is shot in a very bland and dark way with a bluish light. I would argue that it is technically very flawed. Unlike in Lubezki's work with Malik, where yellow and orange colors work are making dark parts even darker because of contrast. The bluish color in Arrival just makes everything bland. They probably wanted to reseble actual daylight or natural light. But to me, this failed completely.

Also the framing of the shots were often awkward and mediocre. I just hate to think about how much better it could have been if it had been made with a better cinematographer.
I agree. Visually its flat, for me.
Episode 2 (African commercial)
Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)
Mpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #30
SBdeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by madworld View Post
I thought about this for days after.

Sign of a good movie.
SBdeb is offline   Reply With Quote