No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Results - Valentine's Day '19 contest

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
    Arguing over definitions is almost as fun as the contests, where's ComicBent when you need him?
    Speaking of arguments.

Under "Articles" in the RSS Feeds section, sub-topic "Screenplay Rules", there's a Twitter feed were several pro screenwriters (including Mazin) are once again fighting the good fight against the "rules nazis". I don't do Twitter, so it's hard for me to make heads or tails of it, but some pros are linking scripts that show they broke all the "rules".

Grab your popcorn and watch the pros slug it out for freedom! (Or jump in and say something meaningless, (or meaningful) if you want to. That's what a great argument is all about.)
    "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
      Speaking of arguments.

Under "Articles" in the RSS Feeds section, sub-topic "Screenplay Rules", there's a Twitter feed were several pro screenwriters (including Mazin) are once again fighting the good fight against the "rules nazis". I don't do Twitter, so it's hard for me to make heads or tails of it, but some pros are linking scripts that show they broke all the "rules".
      I don't see anything about Twitter or Mazin. I just see one link to a Brian Koppelman blog entry. And there, you'll find a link to one of his scripts that breaks all the rules. No Twitter links or anything else. What am I missing?
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
        I don't see anything about Twitter or Mazin. I just see one link to a Brian Koppelman blog entry. And there, you'll find a link to one of his scripts that breaks all the rules. No Twitter links or anything else. What am I missing?
        That's what I meant about not being able to figure Twitter out. The link goes to Koppelman's script, but the message says:

"There was a good twitter thread today about supposed screenwriting rules. Mazin, McQuarrie, Mangold, Rian J and a few others got in there to reiterate that these supposed rules don't matter. Here's my screenplay for Solitary Man. You will see I break all the rules on the first page. Michael Douglas read it and signed"

Comment

Just do a search for "Mazin" and "Twitter". Eventually, I think you'll get to the mother lode.

"Craig Mazin
          ‏Verified account
          @clmazin
          Feb 17

There needs to be a version of "mansplaining" that describes the Twitter phenomenon of amateurs explaining how a business *really* works to professionals actually in that business.

It's ... just.... flames. Flames. Flames... on the side of my face..."
          Last edited by StoryWriter; 02-23-2019, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
            Just do a search for "Mazin" and "Twitter". Eventually, I think you'll get to the mother lode.

"Craig Mazin
            ‏Verified account
            @clmazin
            Feb 17

There needs to be a version of "mansplaining" that describes the Twitter phenomenon of amateurs explaining how a business *really* works to professionals actually in that business.

It's ... just.... flames. Flames. Flames... on the side of my face..."
            Actually that doesn't work much, either.

Comment

I enjoyed the reading on https://twitter.com/clmazin

Edit: with hindsight, not a discussion I want to get into, lol.
              Last edited by dpaterso; 02-23-2019, 11:59 AM.

Comment

well, this looks like a fun time. will there be other opportunities to jump in?

read the Mazin tweet feed and somehow got onto a thread about how little assistants get paid, i mean, it's depressing as $hit-- $13.50 and hour? it's kinda sick... i mean how much would it really take to make it a fair wage?

then, they talked about when they get promoted to the next step up, they make less because now they're salary instead of getting overtime.

yikes! good for Mazin, standing up for what's right.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                X