Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Announcements, News, & Opportunities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #11
SCRIPTFELLA
New User

Default Re: 7 Dealpoints You MUST Have In Your Screenwriting Contract

Sorry double posted

Last edited by SCRIPTFELLA : 04-17-2019 at 03:55 PM.
SCRIPTFELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:51 AM   #12
sherbetbizarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
It was the free rewriting that was the problem.
And that's exactly what has come up in a contract I'm expected to sign...If the producer "elects to commission any further drafts, rewrites or polishes to the Script, the Writer hereby agrees to do any further amendments as reasonably required by the Producer for no further payment."

Now this is slightly different, as the script is based on his idea. But as the option is for 3 years, I guess I'm expected to work for nothing as he sees fit..?
sherbetbizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #13
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
And that's exactly what has come up in a contract I'm expected to sign...If the producer "elects to commission any further drafts, rewrites or polishes to the Script, the Writer hereby agrees to do any further amendments as reasonably required by the Producer for no further payment."

Now this is slightly different, as the script is based on his idea. But as the option is for 3 years, I guess I'm expected to work for nothing as he sees fit..?
Personally, I don't see how you do that when you don't even have a script to start with, but what may get them to come off that horse is if you retain all rights to the work, all drafts, including rewrites directed by them, as well as restricting them from bringing any outside writers in to rewrite your work.

I walked away because of both the free rewrites, their option to bring in another writer at their leisure, and a too low ceiling, which should have actually been the floor. they are a mid-sized prodco, who would do the packaging and also had a separate arm that was a management agency, so I really saw this as an opportunity for them to turn my IP over to someone else to rewrite. it's like, no, not gonna happen.

Know your value. understand the value of your script, too. cuz some IPs are huge opportunities for a franchise and others are simply a one off, right?

What you don't want is to have an incredible draft that you can't use should things fall apart three years down the line. They shouldn't be able to use it either. But you don't want your time to have been a waste, so if you really believe you can execute the script, then you want to keep all rights to all drafts you write in lieu of rewrite payment. If it's a good idea/concept, that could have value. it's really something you should discuss with a lawyer. for me, I don't ever want to work for free. That's one consideration.

Are they paying for the first draft? two steps? Then any rewrites are free? Is that the request?

The three year option, jeez that's steep.

Was the story your pitch or did they pitch you?

Honestly I don't want to write for free, and writers shouldn't have to, because we can use that time to write a spec that we could sell because we own it outright. that's how I feel. My manager at the time (managerless now so will be looking when new spec is ready) never suggested that i consider rewrites for free. He was primarily a producer.

I think it's really shitty to ask a writer to work for free. How would they like to work for nothing? I mean, do their creditors allow them to defer their monthly bills based on possibly selling something three years down the line? Maybe they need to work harder to find a partner with some cash?

Anyway, just food for thought.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #14
sherbetbizarre

Thanks for taking time to reply. Turns out the contract was meant to say if the DIRECTOR asks for rewrites or additions etc then those should be for free. So not much difference really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
Are they paying for the first draft? two steps? Then any rewrites are free? Is that the request?
Yeah, my fee for handing in the first draft is seperate to the Option Contract. And they want me to sign this contract first.

Quote:
Was the story your pitch or did they pitch you?
It's the Producers story, so he pitched it to me. No doubt he'll want polishes too...
sherbetbizarre is offline   Reply With Quote