Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
iggy

Default Re: "The meeting" share stories, tips, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartell View Post
If they are studio based it doesn't hurt to know of a couple of films in the vault you might want to write the remakes of. I did a couple of rounds of meetings where everyone was asking me that before I got a clue and figured out some possible remakes.

Try not to vomit or poo yourself.

- Bill
How do you find out what films are in their vaults? Is it the company listed on the dvd of the original film that owns the remake rights? If that company no longer exists is there a way to find out? Thanks.
iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
acquaformosa
Regular

Don't have much to add that hasn't already or might be on other threads (haven't been on a lot of mtgs), but . . .
  • Don't turn down the offers of water.
  • Be ready for the question: "What else are you working on?"
  • Be careful what info you volunteer . . . my former manager once told me, "It's good that you look young, so whatever you do . . . don't tell them you're over 40 or say anything about being married with kids."
Yeah, do all your research, but still be careful how much you volunteer. I once had a meeting with one of the producers who had apparently brought the Stranger Than Fiction property in to his former company (Mandate I think). And I went out of my way to talk up the movie cause I loved it so much and even mentioned the bus-riding scene where I described it as "playing one of my all-time favorite songs by The Jam ("That's Entertainment") on the soundtrack."

His expression changed abruptly as he told me that prior to bringing in the director, he had already been instrumental in helping to pick all the music, which was promptly changed by the incoming director -- including that scene in particular. He had wanted The Pixies "Monkey Gone to Heaven" instead and still seemed upset about it.

Suddenly, it seemed like all the air in the room had left and I was floundering, saying something like, "But I love The Pixies! Great song, too!"
acquaformosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
Jules

That movie had great music. I loved the scene when Ferrel plays the guitar. Gonna have to youtube it now.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
acquaformosa
Regular

Oh, yes. I definitely wasn't going to ask what his original choice of music was for that scene, because I loved that obscure tune, as well. One of those moments where you run and Google the thing later and discover some obscure artist you never knew about . . . in this case Wreckless Eric of course.
acquaformosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
Greenwood
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartell View Post
If they are studio based it doesn't hurt to know of a couple of films in the vault you might want to write the remakes of. I did a couple of rounds of meetings where everyone was asking me that before I got a clue and figured out some possible remakes.

Try not to vomit or poo yourself.

- Bill
*adds the above to iphone notes...*
Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #16
scripto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquaformosa View Post
Don't turn down the offers of water.
Hahaha this is so true. I find that when I decline a drink in any setting, the person offering looks at me like an alien, and then a series of "Are you sure?"s follow to the point where it then gets awkward, and thus the entire mood is set from the very beginning....all over water, lol.

Quote:
Be careful what info you volunteer . . . my former manager once told me, "It's good that you look young, so whatever you do . . . don't tell them you're over 40 or say anything about being married with kids."
That's pretty ironic, seeing as how most of today's most successful working writers are white males aged 30-50 with a wife and kid and dog at home. It's pretty funny how everyone says they want you to be cool, young, and fresh meanwhile those who work the most are boring, old, and stereotypical.
scripto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:16 AM   #17
Terrance Mulloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood View Post
Did the phone meeting thing before several times, but have a face2face coming soon. She's the head of development @ Rainforest films.

Are dev execs a different animal? My past meets have been w/ reps for the most part.

Definite no-no's, or dare I say, do-do's? (lol)

I'm sure there are other threads on this topic in the archives, but that can be said for virtually every thread. Trends, habits, taboos etc change fast in this game so maybe it's time for a fresh meeting thread.

So give up the goods...
Just be yourself.

Being yourself is what it's all about. It's a very insular industry. Everyone talks. So don't go in trying to be funny when you're really being full of sh!t - or trying to ape someone you're not. XL and acquaformosa pretty much hit the nail on the head. You'll need some ideas to pitch - even if they're just rough - "...." kinda meets "....".

I flew out and had my first round of face-to-face generals late last year, and I found all of them to be very relaxed and casual. Chatting about my script, what kind of movies we like, and what kind of stuff I want to write, etc. In one meeting, we just spoke about video games for nearly 45 minutes. Another meeting we immediately broke the ice because one of the producers had visited Byron Bay a year earlier and loved it. So the main thing is to just be yourself and have fun.

Good luck.

Last edited by Terrance Mulloy : 06-11-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Terrance Mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #18
vstm10
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquaformosa View Post
[*]Don't turn down the offers of water.
can someone please explain in detail why is that?

is it sort of a test?

Last edited by vstm10 : 06-11-2010 at 02:48 AM.
vstm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 AM   #19
Terrance Mulloy

^ Also reminds me - when leaving a meeting, always take your bottled water or coffee with you. Never leave it with them.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #20
Jules

Why? Are they going to pass on you because they don't think you hydrate yourself properly?