Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
sellingideas
New User

Default Movie Idea

In the past 2 months I searched movie production company, producers, to present my idea, without success.I worked like 3-4 months on my idea Sci-Fi, Action.I presented my idea to a friend of mine who watched many movies and he says that in the right hands the idea can be a good movie.It is unique, I'm saying that because I did not see a movie similar to my idea, didn't copy or inspire from any movies.Don't know what movie production company are looking for Sci-Fi ideas at the moment, if someone can help me, it will be more than appreciated.Thank you.
sellingideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
mlongton

Default Re: Movie Idea

They don't buy ideas, they buy scripts.
mlongton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
scripto80

^Exactly.

Unless you're an experienced and respected writer who can easily set up a meeting with a top producer or studio executive to pitch it, then no one cares. Seriously, that may sound brutal, but it's true.

You need to turn your idea into well-written screenplay, then find a rep, then have them try to get your script into the hands of those who can make it happen.
scripto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
sellingideas
New User

Man it's not an idea with 1-2 pages, it contains 8 pages.And I'm not interested to make a script right now unless I get an answer from a pro that it is indeed a good idea.This is my only interested right now to present it to someone.If you read the whole idea it will be like a script just didn't put the details.Thanks for your answers.

Last edited by sellingideas : 06-13-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Forgot something to add
Old 06-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Grandmaster

Nobody here wants to buy your idea, we have way too many of our own already.
Grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
scripto80

Great, you have a treatment. That's a good thing, but the thing is...unless you're already well-connected or have a respectable credit(s) to your name, very few "pros" will be willing to take a look. If all aspiring writers had the luxury of having a pro read every one of their ideas and tell them whether or not to pursue it then a.) there wouldn't be so many crappy scripts floating around and b.) all the reps and producers would be so busy reading every whim and idea someone has that there'd be no time to read actual scripts, lol.

A guy like Terry Rossio can call up his agent or even a producer directly and say, "I have an idea." and go in with a few page treatment and be taken seriously. But a random, uncredited, unconnected aspiring writer simply doesn't get that kind of opportunity and shouldn't expect to.

Run your idea by writer friends, and if you don't have any, run it by people here on the boards if they're willing to take a look. Get some opinions if you think you need them, and then if the feedback is positive, WRITE THE SCRIPT. And THEN try hitting up reps or producers and production companies. There's no EXACT, one-size-fits-all path by which a writer "makes it", but there are certain things to be expected, and certain procedures it's wise to follow if you really want to succeed.

In summary, use what you have at your disposal to decide what is worth pursuing. And what you have at your disposal is your own gut, friends, and fellow writers. And if no fellow writers are willing to take a look, drop me a PM and I'll give you my email and take a look. You may not value my opinion, but I'm willing to give it if you need it. Cheers.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
sellingideas
New User

I will value all opinions good and bad.I know that I have no chance presenting it to someone big.Thanks for your answer.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
scripto80

No problem. Remember nothing is impossible but some things are simply improbable so you have to work around it.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #9
nic.h

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellingideas View Post
If you read the whole idea it will be like a script just didn't put the details.Thanks for your answers.
If it's just about "the details", then write the script. I don't know of a single situation where a new writer has sold an idea without having the script to back it up.

Thing is, just adding the details isn't as easy as it sounds. And great ideas are a dime a dozen, so that in itself is not enough unless there's proof you can write too. That's where the script comes in.

Good luck.
Nic
nic.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
Mycroftbrett
Regular

If you've already spent "3-4" months on this thing, it's time to write the script.

Your vision will only be realised if you are the author.
Mycroftbrett is offline   Reply With Quote