X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is an old Nicholl script still good?

Hey DDP,
    I'm a newbie here.
    My script was a 2011 Nicholl Semifinalist. It was my first script, and I was still in school at the time, so I wasn't ready to actively pursue a career at the time. I got a few requests from managers and producers at the time, sent the script to the ones I thought were worth contacting, didn't hear back form any, and didn't follow up (Again, a complete novice to the industry, I didn't know I was supposed to follow up) so I don't even know if those assistants or readers even read it.

Anyway, I revised it and re-submitted this year, but didn't make it past the first round (apparently, I don't revise properly).
    So, now I'm out of school, ready to really start a career, and hoped that this year's Nicholl would get me more requests and generate the opportunities that I need.....No such luck.

So, my question is: What do I do with a year old Nicholl script? If I send it out now calling it a 2011 Semifinalist, I feel like it will be obvious to most reps that I reentered this year and didn't get very far. Also, they're all more concerned with the current quarter/semi list. Can I send an email to those Management companies that requested it last year to see if they want to take a second look at the script, (I noticed that some have new assistants)? If so, how do I approach the ones like Energy Entertainment that say "no unsolicited queries"?
    Any help would be great!
    Thanks

Re: Is old Nicholl still good?

I just wouldn't specify the year. They're mostly interested in the logline, and the additional line that it was a Nicholl semi-finalist might be enough to add that extra bump if they're undecided -- but it's really almost completely dependent on your logline.

Comment

Originally posted by zooey View Post
      I just wouldn't specify the year. They're mostly interested in the logline, and the additional line that it was a Nicholl semi-finalist might be enough to add that extra bump if they're undecided -- but it's really almost completely dependent on your logline.
      That makes sense. Thanks.
      Do you think I can still re-submit to the same companies that may have read it last year?

Comment

I'd upload your script to Blacklist 3.0. The readers here are VERY strict. It'll be a good barometer.

Those chaps remind me of an old math proofs prof in college who would give out negative marks for incorrect answers. Talk about a stickler.
        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

First of all, your revision may have been fine. The Nicholl has a fantastic reputation for a reason, but everything is still subjective. There are plenty of success stories involving scripts that didn't even make it past the first round.

As far as querying goes, the suggestion to simply say "Nicholl Semi-Finalist" and leave it at that is a good one. Above all, people are simply looking for a good logline. The Nicholl bit is simply there to give it a slight edge and let them know that at least a couple of people thought your writing was really solid.
          QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Re: Is an old Nicholl script still good?

Look, if this script is at least a year old (maybe more), you should be aggressively turning out new material. That should be your priority, IMHO.

Comment

Re: Is an old Nicholl script still good?

Basically, I know what I did with the revision....tried to make it too artistic. The story is completely commercial, so the artistic element just doesn't work that well. (Though, I did get two good reads in this year's Nicholl. Need three to advance.)
              Anyway, the same night I posted this thread, I queried some managers with just "Nicholl Semifinalist," and got a request the next day. So, thanks for that advice! (I sent the earlier, commercial draft, with a few tweaks.)

As far as other work, I completed another script this year and have been working on other things. This one has just proven to be my best so far, so I'm sending it out where I can.

Comment

Working...
              X