Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First screenplay - my name change testimony

I'm rewriting a screenplay for a movie, this movie is supposed to be about a Squillien family (my mom, dad, sisters, an adopted human sister, and our close relatives) and other people in our life at the time I was in 5th grade at age 12, and in this movie I'm a Squillien boy.

In this movie I have a name that I dislike, and I go thru several ages and stages of my life picking/using different names until I finally settle on one name I like and at the end of the movie (or near the end) I change my name legally by going to court in front of a judge.

This movie is to be a sci-fi with Christian features (or maybe it's supposed to be the other way around), a Christian movie with sci-fi features? Or possibly 50 % Christian, 50 % sci-fi?

Anyway, I wrote this screenplay (started out using what I learned from these 4 books which I shall link to from my personal library

Film Directing Fundamentals

and

how to write a movie in 21 days

and

The Figure in Film by R.N. Clifton

and

writing your life: putting your past on paper

I did not read the whole of these books, I've only read part way, and I probably will need someone to explain some of the terms from these books, so could you guys please bear with me (thanx)) in Microsoft Word 2010, in table format, and I'd like to start getting some feedback on it, b/c there are lots of terms in "How to write a movie in 21 days" by Viki King (loglines, jeopardy, etc) that I don't understand but would like to learn (mind you, this is a hobby)

and one of my initial questions is, although I can save parts of my screenplay as a pdf, how exactly do I upload this pdf to this board in order to receive feedback?

Thanks in advance.

Re: First screenplay - my name change testimony

Alien,

You need to go this page and read section (C) on how to post pages written in Word. You cannot just do a copy-and-paste from Word unless you want to reformat all the lines manually. You have to create a PDF file and then convert the PDF to a formatted text file.

Now, to something else.

The fact that you are using tables in Word to format a script tells me that you are lost. I have a couple of screenplay templates for Word on my website that you can download if you want to try them. You will also need to download the corresponding FREE Courier fonts if you want to use the templates, because the templates are set up for those specific fonts.

Here are the various links:

RECOMMENDED FONTS FOR SCREENPLAYS

Courier Screenplay
    http://www.fadeinpro.com
    Click DOWNLOAD to go to the Download page, and then scroll down to the downloadable fonts.

Courier Final Draft
    http://support.finaldraft.com/resour...ers/wcfd37.zip

EASY SCREENPLAY TEMPLATES FOR WORD 2010

For use with Courier Screenplay
    http://www.rolandstroud.com/download...creenplay.dotx

For use with Courier Final Draft
    http://www.rolandstroud.com/download...eenplayFD.dotx

UPDATE: I have edited Section (C) about how to handle the Word-to-PDF-to-text issue.
    Last edited by ComicBent; 05-21-2013, 09:36 PM. Reason: Some updating.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
      Alien,

You need to go this page and read section (C) on how to post pages written in Word. You cannot just do a copy-and-paste from Word unless you want to reformat all the lines manually. You have to create a PDF file and then convert the PDF to a formatted text file. Unfortunately the FREE utility that I used to recommend to do the conversion to formatted text has disappeared from the internet (website is gone). However, read the page that I just linked to. In it I recommend a very inexpensive conversion utility.
      Ok...

The fact that you are using tables in Word to format a script tells me that you are lost. I have a couple of screenplay templates for Word on my website that you can download if you want to try them. You will also need to download the corresponding FREE Courier fonts if you want to use the templates, because the templates are set up for those specific fonts.

Here are the various links:

[B]RECOMMENDED FONTS FOR SCREENPLAYS

Courier Final Draft
      http://support.finaldraft.com/resour...ers/wcfd37.zip

[B]EASY SCREENPLAY TEMPLATES FOR WORD 20url]

For use with Courier Final Draft
      http://www.rolandstroud.com/download...eenplayFD.dotx
      I've already d/l these from your site. Now I have some questions about these:

1) isn't the easy screenplay template (I have it opened in Word) your copyrighted work and I'm not supposed to alter it?

2) How do I open/use courier final draft? I tried to open it once I d/l it, but I'm getting an error dialogue box with message that says: "the file wcfd37 cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents." this dialogue box has as choices "ok" and "details >>>". what do I have to do about this? Buy something in order to use it, or what?

3) Do I have to buy/pay for any of this stuff that I've just (or want to d/l) d/l or if I want to use it?

4) Also I would have liked to have d/l Courier Screenplay from your site, I tried, but I got an "oops!" page. Can you help me around this (so I can also d/l the template to use with courier screenplay)?

Comment

THE 'COURIER SCREENPLAY' FONT

The Courier Screenplay font link is not a link to MY site, but to Fade In. For some reason, Fade In does not let people link directly to the font. You have to enter through the main site. I will edit my link above.

So do this: Go to the main site. Click DOWNLOAD to get to the Download page. Then scroll down to the downloadable fonts. Download COURIER SCREENPLAY. (Forget Courier Prime, also listed; it is a different font and has 'y' that is screwed-up in appearance.)

THE 'COURIER FINAL DRAFT' FONT

As for the Final Draft font, I do not know what happened. Try downloading it again. Unzip the file. You may then see a folder, which you have to open. You should then see three fonts (Regular, Italic, Bold). Right-click on one of the fonts. You should see an option to "preview" the font. Do the preview to make sure that the font is really there. You should see a button INSTALL FONT. Go ahead and install each font.

I downloaded the Final Draft font again just now and previewed it. I did not try to install it, because I already have it on my system, and I do not want to chance causing some kind of Windows issue by installing over it. But if you are still not able to get the font to work, please send me an email ([email protected]), and I will work with you further on the matter.

TEMPLATES

You can use and modify any of my templates. You can pass them along in modified form or do whatever you want with them.

Please let us know if you have success with the fonts and the templates.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

AlienBZ:

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to finish one book on screenwriting before coming here to ask everyone to do your job for you.

Just a thought.

Comment

Free screenwriting software:

https://www.celtx.com/index.html

Beyond that, you need to spend a modicum of effort in learning some basics before getting started writing. Lance Armstrong learned to ride a bike prior to starting to race. Of course, he followed that up with years spent studying how to cheat. So there are short cuts.
            If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
            Dave Barry

Comment

There is nothing wrong with using Word to write a script, in particular at this stage of your efforts. But use Word effectively. The template will handle all of the essential stuff.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with using Word to write a script, in particular at this stage of your efforts. But use Word effectively. The template will handle all of the essential stuff.
                Second that. When I started writing using Word, the program already absorbed the screenplay format as I typed.
                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Ok, I d/l Courier Screenplay and the template for Courier Screenplay for use with Word 2010.

And the other day at a friend's house as I was describing to her the kind of movie it's going to be, and that it's going to have a 2nd movie that follows it, the working title for this second movie (screenplay) is Old Sylvia: Bye-Bye Baby, and my friend told me that people are going to judge me for the content of my movie, so I have some questions about people judging me for my movies:

What does this mean?

Why do they judge me for it?

How will this judgement affect me/my circle of kith and kin/and my life in general?

Comment

What's "a Squillien family" and it's best not to mention the second movie and by "judgment" she either means that people will associate you with that genre, or, given the Christian undertones of the movie, other Christians will judge you based on the movie's content (especially if you're marketing it that way).

Strange thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                      What's "a Squillien family"
                      What with the Sci-Fi slant, I thought maybe it was Lovecraftian Cthulhu spawn walking among humans, no kiddin'. Something that needs explained, for sure.

Comment

Do the squilliens have an idiom on their planet which is the rough equivalent of counting chickens before they've hatched?

Comment

Any of you guys remember Pharoah? Man that was awesome.
                          My stuff

Comment

I really want to read this.

Comment

Double feature with PHAROAH?

Comment

Working...
                              X