Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #41
Hernan Giaggio
User

Default Re: How do you make a good impression on that first meeting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
I had my fourth meeting of the day at like 1:00 in the afternoon in BH. Was meeting a producer outside the Starbucks on Olympic. My first two meetings I took coffee and my mouth was gross. So I popped the trunk on my rental and got my toothbrush out. (I was headed to LAX after) And I’m standing there brushing my teeth standing under the hood. The producer - I know what he looks like - he doesn’t know me - comes walking past and we make eye contact. He gives me a disgusted look for this display of vagrancy. I’m like oh sh1t. So I roll up to the Starbucks three minutes later and he’s standing there and he gives me this look, like the once over. He sniffs and says “well you don’t dress like a writer” which I took as the highest of compliments. At the end of the meeting it had gone well and I was like “did you see me brushing my teeth?” And he’s like “Jesus Christ that was you?”
Haha, wow.
Hernan Giaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #42
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
I had my fourth meeting of the day at like 1:00 in the afternoon in BH. Was meeting a producer outside the Starbucks on Olympic. My first two meetings I took coffee and my mouth was gross. So I popped the trunk on my rental and got my toothbrush out. (I was headed to LAX after) And I’m standing there brushing my teeth standing under the hood. The producer - I know what he looks like - he doesn’t know me - comes walking past and we make eye contact. He gives me a disgusted look for this display of vagrancy. I’m like oh sh1t. So I roll up to the Starbucks three minutes later and he’s standing there and he gives me this look, like the once over. He sniffs and says “well you don’t dress like a writer” which I took as the highest of compliments. At the end of the meeting it had gone well and I was like “did you see me brushing my teeth?” And he’s like “Jesus Christ that was you?”
Hilarious! This reminds me of a fukkin hilarious story (TO ME). I'll tell it in a sec. But first. Two things...

1) Now I gotta know how you were dressed. Do tell.

2) This is exactly the type'a sh!t I'm talking about that this town likes to pretend doesn't happen. Yet, that's a scene straight out of a comedy. I pictured you spitting out toothpaste, splatters on your shoes (SH!T), slam the trunk, then look up to see the producer with toothpaste foam covered lips looking like a rabid animal "Ohhh... uhhh... Hi!" LOL

Last edited by GucciGhostXXX : 08-21-2019 at 01:03 PM.
GucciGhostXXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #43
GucciGhostXXX

Okay, here's a bad one... (and you're probably gonna figure out the punchline before the end).

I'm in Hollywood at a fancy event randomly seated at a group table next to an older veteran producer I'd never met. I chat with him and his wife while we eat dinner. Small talk, etc. Hours of this over food and drinks. Everyone at this event is upper level, A-list agents etc., that kind of crowd (and dumbass me).

Following day: My car was in the shop, but I needed to pick up something in the Valley (I forget what). I grab a piece of sh!t rental for the day. Head to the valley. I'm way out there in no man's land. I'm making left into a parking lot. I look down at my phone "Fukk is this place at again?" Dude behind me in his Mercedes honks, swerves around me, flips me off as he yells something out the window.

I see him park and walk into Starbucks. I park. Head inside Starbucks. Fuming, I march up to him. His back to me I say "Don't ever flip me off and yell sh!t at me fukkin azzhole!"

He turns around. CORRECT GUESS! It's the same fukkin producer I spent hours getting to know from last night.

"Ohhhhh.... sh!!!!!!!T What are the fukkin odds of this???"

He cocks his head like... isssssss that... the guy from last night...?

I was dressed super different. Ultra casual. Boardshorts. Black wife-beater. Shades on.

FUKK! I immediately turn around and SPLIT before he can say anything.

As I walk out the door, under my breath...

"Okay, noted, I'll never work with THAT producer... like, EVER!"

LOL
Old 08-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #44
finalact4

Quote:
great story. love it. lol
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #45
Satriales
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Hilarious! This reminds me of a fukkin hilarious story (TO ME). I'll tell it in a sec. But first. Two things...

1) Now I gotta know how you were dressed. Do tell.

2) This is exactly the type'a sh!t I'm talking about that this town likes to pretend doesn't happen. Yet, that's a scene straight out of a comedy. I pictured you spitting out toothpaste, splatters on your shoes (SH!T), slam the trunk, then look up to see the producer with toothpaste foam covered lips looking like a rabid animal "Ohhh... uhhh... Hi!" LOL
Oh yeah I was in the process of leaning back and spitting when we made eye contact. It was really Ben Stiller circa 2001.

I think I had on skinny dark grey Diesels, solid navy Untickit, and these bad boys:
https://www.zappos.com/product/89901...c-8a3bb5e2ad45

Which felt like a very writer outfit but he’d know better than I would I guess.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #46
Friday

Quote:
It could be almost anything...

"How was your weekend, do anything fun?"

"Got any trips planned for the summer?"

"I noticed that photo on your wall, super cool, what's the story behind that?"

"I listened to the interview you did on that podcast, really enjoyed what you had to say."

"I noticed your sunglasses, those are dope, who makes 'em?"

"Great view from your office, ahhh I can see ___ from here, ever been?"

It could be almost anything.

You could say "I'm a bit of a foodie." Personally, I'd latch onto that. "Oh, cool, me too... what are some of your favorite restaurants? You watch any of the foodie shows?" BOOM! 10 minutes of your meeting talking about food. They love that. Breaks up their day, and now you're building rapport.

When I get the statement (because it's not actually a fukkin question) "So, tell us about yourself..." I say "In what regard, writing, where I grew up, what my favorite color is, dog or cat guy?" I seriously say **** like that with a smile. Hopefully they laugh. If they don't, I've just learned what kind of room this is.

And... this is probably cheesy, but I don't care: When I'm asked "Would you like anything to drink?" I say "Sure, I'll take a beer, or tequila if you've got it." One time the dude was like "Serious? I have a bottle of whiskey." Cool, I'll take it neat. I'll assume the meeting went well.

Meetings I fukkin hate (but others might love). LOT MEETINGS. Fukkin HATE 'em. I don't find it exciting to be on the lot. Ever been to Amblin? It's a b!tch to get to. "Wait, am I going the right way? Sh!t, am I supposed to be driving right here?" Security "No! It's THAT way!" Okay, I think this is it, fukk, can I park here? Etc. Hate it.

Favorite meeting place: Soho House. It's chill, relaxed. I'd way rather meet for coffee or drinks the first time in a casual setting.

All very good tips. In life, laughers are easier to know. People who are chill just make you feel more comfortable right up. It's easier when you can crack a silly joke and they're receptive to that. LOL, well myabe you're a veteran.... Soho house sounds great to me. And some of those lots are truly beautiful like the Disney lot.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #47
Friday

Quote:

How did he take it when you revealed that to him? I've seen people take their tooth brush to coffee shops and restaurants. Usually gets a funny look. But, then again, you still want to be minty fresh.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #48
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
All very good tips. In life, laughers are easier to know. People who are chill just make you feel more comfortable right up. It's easier when you can crack a silly joke and they're receptive to that. LOL, well myabe you're a veteran.... Soho house sounds great to me. And some of those lots are truly beautiful like the Disney lot.
Nope! I'm no veteran, unless you mean failed to get sh!t made a billion times. LOL

But, yeah, if someone gives you a choice between SoHo House and some boring office, SoHo house EVERY time. Would actually be a chill place to write. For all I know some of the A-List writers do exactly that... I could live there.

Also... have I said this already? Yeah, I've had meetings where I'm like "Dude... this fukker is a weirdo and way too serious." I try to keep it light, even though I write dark sh!t.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #49
AnyOtherName
Regular

Quote:
Nope! I'm no veteran, unless you mean failed to get sh!t made a billion times. LOL

But, yeah, if someone gives you a choice between SoHo House and some boring office, SoHo house EVERY time. Would actually be a chill place to write. For all I know some of the A-List writers do exactly that... I could live there.

Also... have I said this already? Yeah, I've had meetings where I'm like "Dude... this fukker is a weirdo and way too serious." I try to keep it light, even though I write dark sh!t.
I actually kind of like SoHo House too, but because it's not "cool" to like it, probably 90% of the meetings I've had there have begun with lengthy apologies for the meeting spot and soul-searching soliloquies in the vein of, "Gawd, I hate the place. So terrible. So Hollywood. If there's a center of hell on earth, no question, this is the center of the center. I just keep my membership cuz it's just central, people expect it, you know, keeps things easy. You gotta pick your battles. Oh, is that Brad? Hi, Brad! Oh wait, that's not Brad. That's some other schmuck. So where were we? What's this meeting about again?"
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #50
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherName View Post
I actually kind of like SoHo House too, but because it's not "cool" to like it, probably 90% of the meetings I've had there have begun with lengthy apologies for the meeting spot and soul-searching soliloquies in the vein of, "Gawd, I hate the place. So terrible. So Hollywood. If there's a center of hell on earth, no question, this is the center of the center. I just keep my membership cuz it's just central, people expect it, you know, keeps things easy. You gotta pick your battles. Oh, is that Brad? Hi, Brad! Oh wait, that's not Brad. That's some other schmuck. So where were we? What's this meeting about again?"
Ha!

Liars! You know they love it there.

But, I'm not boujee. You wanna meet at Frolic Room or some sh!thole dive bar? I'm down! El Carmen? Def, lemme school you on some rad tequilas. Beach? Fo sho, feel like surfing? Brian Grazer does! At the friggin park? Yeah, sure, bring your dog! Love me some fur babies! Anywhere but an office is my first choice... I'm not really that impressed that you have a desk and an assistant. LOL

Speaking of. This is an example of that and how stupid it is: So, I email someone I know (producer). He responds. I go to reply. WAIT!!! Did he fukkin CC two other execs below him in on this? Oh sh!t he did. Dude, WHY? This was meant to be off grid. Just to show off that you're the boss now? Dude, chill, I know you're the big cheese now. You going sideways on me... WTF!?

Anyway, personally, I'd use ANY excuse to get outta the office.