Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would kill it being a TV writer. But I'm an older white male and my showrunner friend is like, I got enough of you idiots, we need more diversity. And I'm like I thought there were no Jews in Hollywood. And he laughed because of course he's Jewish. My point, there is no Jewish writer with my talent who hasn't made it -- so I am a unicorn!! I have all the advantages and still failing. Impressive.

Anyway -- my first rep was more a hip pocket thing, second junior manager at big firm left the biz, 3rd guys we fired, and current guy left managing all together so he dumped all his clients not just me. So welcome to Hollywood boys and girls. The best agent I had fired me too, but did it through my writing partner. Didn't even care enough to get us both on the phone. The other agent I had gave up on the one spec we gave her via email and then died a year later. Also I think my spec killed Robin Williams, but I can't be sure.

And the 2nd and 3rd rep was with my writing partner. So I started over solo in 2019 with new rep...

It's good for you all to hear these stories. This business is brutal.

There is talent which some of us have -- but you need luck.

I can't express how if I sold a spec (I guess I'm on my 4th shot right now) how everything changes. You get on list. You are seen as a real writer. It's so stupid as I could write Hot Tub Time Machine 3 right now, but they would never offer that to me unless I sold a spec or got a movie made -- because why would they pick me over that guy or gal? They don't pay anyone enough so they might as well pay the pro writer the 50 bucks instead of paying me the 50 bucks to write the sequel.

There are more writers than work available. It seems that there are more buyers and more things selling from the outside in, but I just think the streaming places are buying more stuff from the already established guys -- so great for them -- but it's not opening doors for us newbies as much as we hope. It's more just a great revenue stream. I think every good rep sold old projects by their clients to Quibi before it went under.

Anyway -- Vango -- I think you are great. Man I hope it works out for you with your movie. But I hope you are also on guard that everything could fail apart and you could be in the position I am now. I hope you are writing your next spec in your downtime....

Don't worry about me. Or feel bad for me. Life is more than this dumb job.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      I would kill it being a TV writer. But I'm an older white male and my showrunner friend is like, I got enough of you idiots, we need more diversity. And I'm like I thought there were no Jews in Hollywood. And he laughed because of course he's Jewish. My point, there is no Jewish writer with my talent who hasn't made it -- so I am a unicorn!! I have all the advantages and still failing. Impressive.

Anyway -- my first rep was more a hip pocket thing, second junior manager at big firm left the biz, 3rd guys we fired, and current guy left managing all together so he dumped all his clients not just me. So welcome to Hollywood boys and girls. The best agent I had fired me too, but did it through my writing partner. Didn't even care enough to get us both on the phone. The other agent I had gave up on the one spec we gave her via email and then died a year later. Also I think my spec killed Robin Williams, but I can't be sure.

And the 2nd and 3rd rep was with my writing partner. So I started over solo in 2019 with new rep...

I can't express how if I sold a spec (I guess I'm on my 4th shot right now) how everything changes. You get on list. You are seen as a real writer. It's so stupid as I could write Hot Tub Time Machine 3 right now, but they would never offer that to me unless I sold a spec or got a movie made -- because why would they pick me over that guy or gal? They don't pay anyone enough so they might as well pay the pro writer the 50 bucks instead of paying me the 50 bucks to write the sequel.

There are more writers than work available. It seems that there are more buyers and more things selling from the outside in, but I just think the streaming places are buying more stuff from the already established guys -- so great for them -- but it's not opening doors for us newbies as much as we hope. It's more just a great revenue stream. I think every good rep sold old projects by their clients to Quibi before it went under.

Anyway -- Vango -- I think you are great. Man I hope it works out for you with your movie. But I hope you are also on guard that everything could fail apart and you could be in the position I am now. I hope you are writing your next spec in your downtime....

Things can always fall apart, but I'm proud that we're giving it all we've got. About 40% done with the next spec, I can say unbiasedly that it is the best work I've ever done. It's taking me very long, and that's something I will correct over the next few years. As long as I'm writing, no matter if it takes me to the gutter or the top, I'll continue to be a student of literature and filmmaking. Sometimes, if something isn't working though, we have to change course a little. Make some in game adjustments.

Not worried about you, just want to see if I can help. You deserve a chance to write TV and be in that room. Maybe JeffLowell can comment here for some better perspective. When you get your next manager or agent, which you will, send me the blurb bio about yourself that they will send out with your script. You might be a white Jewish male but you are probably more diverse than you think, and you have your own unique story. I've helped hundreds of kids get into ivy league schools and some of the best programs in the world, and a lot of it comes down to how we craft their personal statement -- if I can't help with anything else, I know that this, I can do for you.

You got my email in case I disappear from here.

Comment

Odds are always going to be tough in a biz where there's 1,000 writers for every one spot open, but, in the immortal words of Adam Ant: "There's plenty of room at the top. Don't ever let them tell there's not."

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post

Odds are always going to be tough in a biz where there's 1,000 writers for every one spot open, but, in the immortal words of Adam Ant: "There's plenty of room at the top. Don't ever let them tell there's not."
          Can you update that reference to someone who isn't British?

Comment

Can you update that reference to someone who isn't British?
            haha...I'll dry to dig up something a little more poetic from Geddy Lee -- oh wait no, he's Canadian...

Comment

Working...
            X