Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a person pauses?

If a character is speaking, then pauses for a few seconds, and then speaks again, how do you type that? I'm not talking about a significant pause, just like people do in normal life.

Re: When a person pauses?

The cleanest way to reflect that in dialogue is either:

.....................JOE
    ......I'm sorry, Ben... she left this morning.

or

....................BEN
    .....You mean to tell me that she
    ......ran off with Jerry AND took my
    ......golden retriever?
    ..........(beat)
    ......I loved that golden retriever!
    - - - - - - -
    Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

Originally posted by ExtHollywoodDay View Post
      The cleanest way to reflect that in dialogue is either:

.....................JOE
      ......I'm sorry, Ben... she left this morning.

or

....................BEN
      .....You mean to tell me that she
      ......ran off with Jerry AND took my
      ......golden retriever?
      ..........(beat)
      ......I loved that golden retriever!
      Ok, thanks. But what if a character pauses and then changes topic?

Comment

You can use the word (beat) to indicate a pause, you can use punctuation as you see fit, or you can have your character do something in an action line, then have the character speak again.

Comment

If it's a very important for a specific reason, you can add (beat) as some other colleagues indicated.
          If it's a pause in a normal conversation, leave it to the talent of the actor, they know how to do that.
          Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

Code:
                          JEFF
                 FWIW, "then" has largely replaced "beat."
                      (then)
                 I don't know why.

Comment

Even though it's been around for awhile

Comment

In real life if someone pauses for a moment the other person jumps in a starts talking...

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Interesting about the use of (then) in place of (beat).

I had never heard that. I sort of like it. At least it is something different.

But isn't it amazing how we go to such great lengths to avoid just writing (pause) in those rare instances when something is really needed and cannot be gleaned from context?

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

awkward silence.

if you combine the letters of the words 'beat' 'pause' and 'then' you end up with the words-

'the outhouse is in use.'

interesting writing tidbit little discussed in parlors, but unfortunately true.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled View Post
                      Ok, thanks. But what if a character pauses and then changes topic?
                      'Beat' is specifically for a pause due to a change in topic - it's originally an acting term precisely for this.

Comment

Originally posted by muser777 View Post
                        'Beat' is specifically for a pause due to a change in topic - it's originally an acting term precisely for this.
                        If an actor can choose to pause where there is no pause, or not pause where there is one - what is the point?

And an actor can convey a "beat" by not pausing and just taking the following dialogue up an octave or two.
                        "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                        - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
                          If an actor can choose to pause where there is no pause, or not pause where there is one - what is the point?

And an actor can convey a "beat" by not pausing and just taking the following dialogue up an octave or two.
                          It's just a way of breaking the read on the page - it needs to be performed in your reader's head before it'll get to a set and it feels off when you read a character say something like 'That's the last thing I'll say on the matter. Where did you hide the bucket of carrot spew?" and there's no break to show the change of topic between.

It will also feel off to have buckets of carrot spew in your script too, of course.

But, admitted, nowadays it's common just to put a line there with no "(beat)" in parentheses. Or a (pause) as others have said - though, I personally prefer (beat) for this as it's not necessarily a pause you are highlighting. Kind of as you were saying.

Comment

Working...
                          X