Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 24.9% at Black List read w/o an eval

In another thread that was just closed, Franklin posted: "About 24.9% of the scripts that host without purchasing a single evaluation receive at least one industry professional download."

Question: Were those 24.9% generally dl'd within a week or so after they were uploaded? In other words, I'm wondering if they were mostly found by someone scrolling the list of "newly uploaded scripts", or by some sort of specific search.

Also, do you specifically mean "pro downloads" (versus total dl, that would include dl by other writers, when allowed)?

Re: the 24.9% at Black List read w/o an eval

I wanted to add a comment on that thread as well this morning, but found it was already closed.

What I was going to add, is what's also interesting to look at is the relationship between views and downloads. For example, up until recently, every pro view resulted in a download of my spec-- I think that's a good thing. I think it means that both the logline and the evaluation are both doing its job.

Had another download yesterday and the ratio is now 20/24. And six more views, so talking about it seems to help as well. And that brings up another point-- the writer's responsibility to do whatever it takes to bring visibility to their material.

As I looked at the results again, It's not downloading a one a week anymore-- guess that was just my impression.

I'm not sure, but I also think there are a lot of considerations when someone's looking at say, the budget. Mine is categorized as "high," which is limiting, right? I mean, how many people out there can do something with a high budget film, right? It would be disheartening to learn that the majority of my downloads were from other writers.

I think the goal might be rewriting the material until the scoring becomes more consistent. I looked at Suzanne Allain's Mr. Malcolm's List (so happy for her BTW) and she received two high reviews and even with that she said it still took time.

So, I guess, if you're getting views, but no downloads maybe that is due to what the evaluation states. If you're on the lists but not getting views, maybe that's due to an ineffective logline?

My advice (realizing I'm a nobody) is do everything you can to present and promote your material, accept what you can and cannot change, then move on.

And I'd say to consider that it may not be as ready as you believe-- that if you can look at your spec honestly and without hubris, that by rewriting and improving it, you may just find a gem at the center.

Then again, there are other specs with lower than 8s that have gotten attention too, and I believe it's because of the quality of the writing.

And the reality is, what matters is not what the writer thinks, it's what the reader thinks-- understanding that, can be helpful..
    Ciao~

Post Edited to add: I would guess that the 1 in 24% is most likely in the first week of hosting the script, because other than that, there's really no way to gain visibility. I think that the pros most likely use the top lists-- I would also venture a guess that it's primarily the top "monthly" list that gets the most attention, which unless you purchase two reviews at the same time it impossible to get on the monthly list. You have to be confident that both scores will be higher than the average, which some might opt to wait to see how the first review scores first.

I would also be interested in the answer to the second question, too. I thought that pro downloads were only 'pros,' but can another writer have a pro status? I'm wondering now, because I did have another writer contact me through my website to express that he liked my writing style and said he's read my script. I only have an excerpt of the opening pages of two specs on my website-- so is it possible some downloads are from other writers?
    Last edited by finalact4; 06-13-2015, 07:41 AM.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

It is very interesting and I might give it try. Then only problem that I have is the readers would get expensive if one is fifty dollars and that would add up. That is hard part about screenwriting everyone wants money. A producer three weeks told me he should a screenwriting book on how to get rich while writing a screenwriting book. I was lucky that I won the pass to the scriptfest. I could not afford the 100$ price and it lead to an executive producer reading the script. I don't know what will happen with that though. I do know 25% for 25 dollars might be worth an experiment are you allowed to put up awards you won.

Comment

Yes, you can list awards the script has won.

But don't spend money on the Blacklist or any contest or service if you can't afford to literally throw it away. Writing is free. There are lots of free resources to help you improve, such as Go Into the Story (blog) or the Scriptnotes podcast. Querying is free, it just takes time, effort and patience.

Focus your energy on writing the best possible script, not pondering the risk/reward ratio of the Blacklist.

Comment

That is great to know. It doesn't mean that I will do it tomorrow. However, it is worth considering for the future. I keep learning new stuff everyday. I have to say the Scriptfest was awesome. I got a script request. However, I just had thought most people paid money to be there. I wonder how many people out of the hundreds there had a great script? I also wonder how many people got a request that was real that will lead to an option. I guess when you think about anything you do deals with odds. I will say at least at an event like that you connect with writers. You also learn from pros. However, I guess everything we do is odds. I have sent queries and got a request but from meeting people I have got a lot closer. Thanks for your input everyone.

Comment

Re: The 24.9% at Black List read w/o an eval

Depending on how you have your privacy settings, YES, other writers on the Black List can download and read your script. Aside from the paid eval, on my script I've had two other downloads--one from a pro, and one from another screenwriter.
            http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Learn how to take a hint, friends.
              We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by billmarq View Post
                Learn how to take a hint, friends.
                If you mean the hint to buy evaluations, OK. But since Franklin published that data detail...

Comment

Let's be honest here. Few people would blow $25 a month for a 24.9% chance that at least ONE industry pro downloads their script. And there's a high chance that industry pro can't help you at all (assuming he even likes the script).

If you're actually serious about getting noticed, you need a paid eval.
                  I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                    Question: Were those 24.9% generally dl'd within a week or so after they were uploaded? In other words, I'm wondering if they were mostly found by someone scrolling the list of "newly uploaded scripts"
                    Unless I am completely blind, I don't think the Newly Uploaded scripts scroll exists anymore since they re-designed the site. Also, we have no way of knowing if that 24.9% reflects scripts hosted for 1 month, 2 moths, 3, etc.

My most recent script was hosted for a month and got 3 views and 0 downloads.

Although I feel that a couple of the paid reads I got contained some helpful advice which was worth the money, I don't think the benefits of continued hosting justify the cost and I think I am done with the Blacklist for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post

I would also be interested in the answer to the second question, too. I thought that pro downloads were only 'pros,' but can another writer have a pro status? I'm wondering now, because I did have another writer contact me through my website to express that he liked my writing style and said he's read my script. I only have an excerpt of the opening pages of two specs on my website-- so is it possible some downloads are from other writers?
                      From FL's introduction, "About Us":

Writers who have uploaded scripts but who are not industry professional members are unable to read* or rate scripts by other authors. The only information visible to them is a script's title, author, genre, and logline, just as it would be on the annual Black List. Yes, there are professional writers who have industry professional memberships. We extend it as a professional courtesy, recognizing that many professional writers also direct and produce and want to facilitate their ability to do so.

*Actually, they can read scripts if the writer allows it in the privacy settings.

So, non-pro writers with an active script on BL can read scripts if allowed by the writer. All industry members---including pro writers---can download (and rate!) a script.

This would mean only industry members count as a 'pro download'.

Anyway, that's how I read it. But whaddawino.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                        Unless I am completely blind, I don't think the Newly Uploaded scripts scroll exists anymore since they re-designed the site.
                        At least at one time, IIRC, the Control Panel for pros had a look and some functions that the CP for writers did not have. But maybe that's been changed.

Comment

Working...
                        X