Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Expect in first General at studio

Hi! I'm mostly a lurker around here, but I finally have something to ask about.

I have my first general/mini pitch coming up with a production company that has a first-look deal with one of the studios.

I've gotten a lot of good info, feedback and practice from/with my agents, but I guess I was hoping to hear some first-hand stories of how your first big general went for YOU.
    Last edited by MysteryLady; 09-10-2016, 06:08 PM.

Re: What to Expect in first General at studio

This is just in my experience, they are super low stakes, really just to put a face to a name. You chat about movies and the kind of things you like to watch/write, which is a blast. Try not too pitch to hard. Be yourself.

My first one was at a big studio, so it was fun looking around the lot, feeling like you totally snuck inside.

The only thing to be aware of is generals get rescheduled all the time, so don't freak out if it gets pushed back, it's par for the course.

Comment

Biggest pitfall in generals is to make it an hour-long hangout. It happens all the time. It's great to talk movies and find common interests, but at some point make sure to get down to business. If they don't take the initiative (and often they don't), you have to. What they're hoping is that you drop a brilliant idea (or a brilliant fix for their idea) on their lap that they can take to their boss. You can be the nicest, coolest person they met that day, but they meet nice & cool people all day, every day, and they'll forget you the second you walk out the door unless something more than "let's keep in touch" comes of the meeting. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. A majority of generals lead to nothing. But if you fall into the trap of shooting the sh*t for an hour, it's pretty much guaranteed. Good luck!
      https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Mimicking what others said -- generals are pretty general. It's likely just a meet and greet to put a face and personality to the script they read and to see if you're someone they would ever enjoy working with down the line.

I would definitely have an idea of what "your story" is because you will get asked on just about every general you go on. Eventually you'll have to remember that even though you've told the same story 50 times, it's the first time they are hearing it so you want to make yourself sound relatively interesting. I listed a handful of questions I seem to get some version of on every meeting I go on to give you some answers to think about:

*"So tell me about yourself..." -- This one is vague and allows you to start wherever in your life story, but try to skip all the uninteresting parts if there are any.

*So where are you from originally? -- Sometimes they are more specific and just hit you with this question out of the gates to get the conversation flowing. Usually you'll end up hitting your life events along the way in this one. Random example: I'm from North Carolina but my family moved to X, Y, Z where I went to college and became a brain surgeon before moving out to LA." Or whatever is interesting in your life.

*When/why did you start writing?

*Do you live in LA/How long have you lived in LA?

*What are some of your favorite movies/TV shows?

*Your script/writing style reminded me of XXXXX, where did that come from?

You can ask them questions too of course, but be careful about making the conversation too much about them -- they are there to learn about you.

Truthfully, if you do a lot of these you will find you click with some execs more than others because that's just human nature. Some execs you will have a lot in common with and some are like talking to a brick wall. Some will be fascinated by your life story and some look like they want to jump off a cliff because they are having a bad day or any number of reasons.

Just relax and be yourself and let it flow organically. If you feel the meeting starting to wind down, then let it. The most uncomfortable thing you can do is try to keep throwing out topics of conversation to drag out the meeting because you don't want it to end. They likely have another meeting or other things to do so it can annoy them. I personally like to end meetings myself when I feel it's the right time. If there's a slight lull after about 45 minutes, I lean forward and say, "Well I know you're busy so I'll get out of your way, but I really appreciate you taking the time to sit down with me, I really enjoyed it." Then I stand and they do the same and we shake hands and they say some version of staying in touch or they give you a card -- sometimes I ask for one because I like to email every exec I meet with a day or two later just to open the door for communication if needed.
        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Awesome! This is all really great advice, and I genuinely appreciate it.

It's a bit of a weird situation because I have a show out right now (on a digital platform), so they've watched that already. Not sure how/if that will change the dynamic, but I guess I'll find out.
          Last edited by MysteryLady; 09-10-2016, 06:06 PM.

Comment

http://johnaugust.com/2008/how-to-meet

http://johnaugust.com/2009/what-shou...eneral-meeting

http://johnaugust.com/2011/scriptnot...ice-transcript

John: I've talked about this in sessions like the Austin Fall Festival but I don't know if we talked about it on the podcast is that every one of these meetings has the same kind of template, which is that you will show up at the office, you will be a few minutes early, the assistant will offer you for something to drink.

You should ask for a glass of water or a Diet Coke or something that they will have, so they can get you something and bring you something and feel like they've done some part of their job.

The meeting will start a little bit late. You'll go into that person's office, you'll sit in whatever chair is appropriate to sit in, and you'll spend the first five minutes talking about nothing important at all.

It's just really general chitchat about the most recent movies, about random stuff, where you grew up, where you went to school. At some point it'll segue to "This is what we're working on. Tell us what you're working on. Is there something together that we should be working on?- A lot of times this is the same template as going in for a pitch, where there's the general stuff before you get to the meat of it.

In a general meeting it's just, "I'll show you some of what we're doing if you show me some of what you're doing.-
            If you really like it you can have the rights
            It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Good advice so far. Having been on several myself, I would add, be sure to thoroughly research the individual and company you'e having the meeting with. I'm sure that's already implied, but there were a few times I didn't have the time to do this, and it really showed in the meeting.

When they start asking you about your film and TV interests and you're clever enough to mention projects they're connected to our have interests in, it goes a long way. When you have no clue about who they are, you look like a dummy (as I did a couple times). As much as you'd like to think this general is all about you, it's also about massaging their ego and finding common interests.

Always take the water when offered. Be sure to breath, have fun, and relax!

Comment

I've never understood the water thing. I only say yes to the water if I'm thirsty, and thankfully it hasn't affected my career yet. I was a producer's assistant once, and my opinion of a visitor was determined by their writing and their demeanor toward me (like remembering my name at the end!), not by whether they validated my existence by sending me to the kitchenette. But if I'm thirsty, I have found that water is great for that and will accept one.
                https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
                  I've never understood the water thing. I only say yes to the water if I'm thirsty, and thankfully it hasn't affected my career yet. I was a producer's assistant once, and my opinion of a visitor was determined by their writing and their demeanor toward me (like remembering my name at the end!), not by whether they validated my existence by sending me to the kitchenette. But if I'm thirsty, I have found that water is great for that and will accept one.
                  I just had a rep meeting this week and declined the offer for something to drink. Another person waiting in the lobby with me accepted the offer. I could've sworn the assistant gave me a dirty look for not making him carry two drinks instead of one! I thought I totally screwed myself with these guys.

Anyway, the meeting went great.

Comment

Just tell them, "I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure grain alcohol."

Comment

Guys, the water is about not having a dry throat and mouth. Many a meeting come with nerves and a dry mouth, it happens to the best of us. No one said you'll fail if you don't, it's just a smart tip to have it if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by bruinwriter View Post
                        Guys, the water is about not having a dry throat and mouth. Many a meeting come with nerves and a dry mouth, it happens to the best of us. No one said you'll fail if you don't, it's just a smart tip to have it if you need it.
                        Right. Because this isn't an attempt to dilute your precious bodily fluids.

Comment

Originally posted by odocoileus View Post
                          Right. Because this isn't an attempt to dilute your precious bodily fluids.
                          Very good.
                          "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

I will never be in one of those meetings.

But just for my education about these matters ...

Does anyone ever ask for coffee or tea or a cola drink?

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                              I will never be in one of those meetings.

But just for my education about these matters ...

Does anyone ever ask for coffee or tea or a cola drink?
                              When I interned at a production company way back when, we offered cokes and coffee and some people took it.

I know some places will offer you an arrangement, but some places may just directly ask if you want a water -- whether that's all they have or the assistant just doesn't want to bother with getting something else, who knows.
                              Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Working...
                              X