No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scott Carr Management SGC

Originally posted by FeechLaManna View Post

Anyway, this is a stunning turn of events for a guy who was totally on one side of the spectrum when it came to blind queries and then completely shifted to the other side.
    Couldn't of said it better myself.
    Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

I'm confused. I mean, it seems like the guy went from taking quires and requesting scripts to asking for money for what would appear to be coverage.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, but it's just a bit odd. I mean, I have looked at his website and there's nothing about paying to get read...or much information at all really.

I can understand how he might be overwhelmed by queries, but it just seems like he should just say no submissions.

Is his email address and information still the same? Could it be possible that someone has taken it and has engineered some kind of scam without his knowledge? I mean it just sounds a bit odd.

I don't know. I just think the whole thing about charging to read all of a sudden is slightly suspect. Just a thought.
      I love Wing Commander, Mark Hamill is awesome. That is all.

Comment

I don't think anyone has hijacked his website... he had liked one of my scripts a few years ago and had said I could query him again. I emailed with the same email a week or two ago and got basically the same response his friend who posted here had said he'd give....

Apparently it's just a new thing.

Comment

I remember the podcast interview where he talked about how he discovered the writer of Miss Sloane through a query letter. When you hear the interview, it seems that he invested a great deal of emotional capital in the film. The movie bombed and anybody who was not so emotionally attached to the subject matter should have seen it coming. I'm guessing that this failure has changed his views on query letters and unknown writers.

Comment

Originally posted by ScreenRider View Post
            I remember the podcast interview where he talked about how he discovered the writer of Miss Sloane through a query letter. When you hear the interview, it seems that he invested a great deal of emotional capital in the film. The movie bombed and anybody who was not so emotionally attached to the subject matter should have seen it coming. I'm guessing that this failure has changed his views on query letters and unknown writers.
            Frankly the exact opposite is true; a new writer, off a query, getting a movie made with significant stars and director is a huge, spectacular win regardless of how well the movie did. In this town, writers are rarely blamed for bad movies because the town knows how writers get screwed over (bad notes, rewritten etc.) and have zero power in features (does not apply to writer/directors!).

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
              Frankly the exact opposite is true; a new writer, off a query, getting a movie made with significant stars and director is a huge, spectacular win regardless of how well the movie did. In this town, writers are rarely blamed for bad movies because the town knows how writers get screwed over (bad notes, rewritten etc.) and have zero power in features (does not apply to writer/directors!).
              I'm sure you know this business much better than me, but I was theorizing about the psychological aspects of the change in query policy. Also, I never said the writer would be blamed. The manager was involved in developing the script and getting it into the right hands. Regardless of the industry, championing a failed project has professional consequences.

Comment

championing a failed project has professional consequences.
                It's not a failed project from the perspective of a new writer or a new rep breaking a writer in. He got a movie greenlit, that means people will want to work with him.

Comment

It's not a failed project from the perspective of a new writer or a new rep breaking a writer in. He got a movie greenlit, that means people will want to work with him.
                  I agree that from the perspective of a writer this would be a success. My point is that the manager is a gatekeeper. As a writer, I want to find a gatekeeper that will let me slip through, but if I was someone who puts his money into a project, I would want a gatekeeper that is more selective about what he lets pass through the gate.

I'm not being argumentative, just trying to understand how things work.

Comment

I agree that from the perspective of a writer this would be a success. My point is that the manager is a gatekeeper. As a writer, I want to find a gatekeeper that will let me slip through, but if I was someone who puts his money into a project, I would want a gatekeeper that is more selective about what he lets pass through the gate.

I’m not being argumentative, just trying to understand how things work.
                    It was a monumental success for Scott to find this writer via query and then help get a movie made with his script starring Jessica Chastain and which got good reviews. What makes you say it was a bomb? Even if it weren't successful, it's still impressive to get a movie made with one of his client's scripts.

Scott's success with Miss Sloan makes it all the more mind boggling as to why he made this switch.

Comment

I'm not being argumentative, just trying to understand how things work.
                      Tried to explain it twice. Now you're saying the studio blames the manager who sent them a script for the movie not being a big hit, wow.

Comment

Tried to explain it twice. Now you're saying the studio blames the manager who sent them a script for the movie not being a big hit, wow.
                        Don't blame yourself.

Comment

Neither the writer nor the manager would be responsible for the film being bad. The only way anyone could blame the writer is if it's a bad script to begin with; and no agent or manager would send out a script that's bad.

Hence the reading that he's offering. It's different, but I guess he has his reasons if he's doing it. And even if he reads it for a fee, that doesn't mean he takes you on a client.

If the film gets made, that's definitely a victory for both writer and manager. If the film is bad, that usually happens in the making. Not necessarily, but, you know... I may send a query his way.

Comment

Originally posted by LithodoraGamgee View Post
                            no agent or manager would send out a script that's bad.
                            Bad scripts get sent out all the time. Bad movies get made all the time.

Comment

Does anyone know how much he was asking for?

Comment

Originally posted by FeechLaManna View Post
                                Bad scripts get sent out all the time. Bad movies get made all the time.
                                "Good" can be a subjective term. What's good to one person isn't necessarily good to someone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X