No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voice-Over/Montage style

Hey friends

I am writing a movie that is probably best described as a Goodfellas/Big Short sort of deal. Fast-talking Voice-Over that takes us through lots of snippets; images that serve as counterpoint to what is said in V/O; mini-montages to show a character's rise to the top.

My biggest hurdle is with format.

Specifically:

- SLUG LINES: Do you use slug lines for every single moment, even if it's not a "classic scene" per se but more an image or a series of images? For example: let's say you're telling a character's rise to the top of his field and you want to visualize his increasing wealth by showing the 4 houses he lives in- from shitty apartment to mega mansion. How would you write that?

- VOICE/OVER: in terms of page layout, do you write the voice-over down the middle of the page and then inter-cut it with blocks of action? I.e. standard formatting? OR is there a way to have action on the left of the page and the V/O running on the right? this would most likely save some space on the page but the only script I can think of that is laid out this way is SUNSET BLVD.

- IMAGES: if you use a very abstract style and, for example, want to randomly cut away to an image in the middle of a scene, how would you present that??
    Example: you are talking about the leather used to make a man's super-expensive wallet, and as you describe it you want to show the specific cow that was used to make that one wallet. How would you cut away to that cow?

"ANGLE ON: COW IN A FIELD STARING WORRIEDLY AT THE CAMERA" ?

"CUT TO: COW IN A FIELD STARING WORRIEDLY AT THE CAMERA" ?

"INSERT: COW IN A FIELD STARING WORRIEDLY AT THE CAMERA" ?

I certainly don't want to write a slug line, description etc. for what is essentially a visual quip- so I am looking for efficiency as well as fluidity in how this is presented.

- MONTAGE: is there a use in literally writing MONTAGE in a script and then listing the various "pieces" that comprise said montage? Or would you just list the pieces in a single paragraph? e.g.

"Snippets of John, in his brand new uniform, as he works as a dishwasher; awkwardly carves meat at a carving station; fishes out a wedding ring from a sink."

Or:

MONTAGE of John in his brand new uniform:
    - Working as a dishwasher.
    - Carving meat at a carving station.
    - Fishing out a wedding ring from a sink.

Very curious about this guys.

BTW: I am embracing the fact that in order to make this style work, a writer has to present very specific visuals. I agree 99% of the time that writers should write and directors should direct. But I think this is the exception.

TP
    Last edited by TravisPickle; 01-03-2019, 08:13 AM.

Re: Voice-Over/Montage style

You can use SERIES OF SHOTS that you number to show your progression of visuals.

You can name your voice-over character, or call him NARRATOR, and treat his dialog like you would treat any other character's dialog except you add (V.O.) And yes, then you follow it with the action.

When I go from one visual to another like the cow to the next shot of the wallet, like a punchline, I use CUT TO:

I use MONTAGE sometimes, too, for a compilation of non-speaking visual scenes, with or without the narrator.

Comment

Re: Voice-Over/Montage style

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X