Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wga

Anyone know what is actually going on? I heard there were 2 meetings, and twitter was cryptic but some writers made it sound like a shitshow, but others made it sound like current leadership is winning and i still don't even know what the fight is about...

When do they choose? When do we win and end this fight?

Is any of this good news for the writers who aren't already in the business?

Re: Wga

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    Anyone know what is actually going on? I heard there were 2 meetings, and twitter was cryptic but some writers made it sound like a shitshow, but others made it sound like current leadership is winning and i still don't even know what the fight is about...

- It's a bit of a shitshow, with a lot of name-calling and hurt feelings on both sides... but yes, it looks like leadership will win reelection in a landslide.

- The votes will be counted on 9/16.

- I personally consider Goodman's reelection good news for all writers, but obviously, some members hold a contrary view.

Comment

Is it a big disagreement or is it like Biden vs Warren where at the end of the day, no matter what they say their views are on the subject, truth is if they are president, the Democrat is going to try to do pretty much the same things and accomplish the same things against the GOP that any Democrat would. So even if one side says I would do this on healthcare and i would do this, they would probably both get same result because it's always a compromise if they can get anything at all with the GOP!

That's how I see it from afar. We would do this. We would do this. You stink at doing that. No you don't get it, that's not how this works. But whoever wins, would end up with the same result is my guess... am i wrong?

Same players. Same interests. Same agents vs writers.

Comment

can you provide the twitter feed you're referring to? please.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I just saw some writers I follow hinting at it... no info... just like "I can't believe what I'm hearing" -- "it's true"... there was no good details, that's why I came here. If it was any good I'd PM you, but it wasn't.

Comment

the trades have the (ATA-friendly) blow-by-blows:

WGA leadership has been conducting a series of membership meetings over the past few days to update the status of ATA things, which, depending who you talk to, have been either highly contentious and unfair to the Nagy slate or . . . not

https://deadline.com/2019/08/ayelet-...er-1202665302/

https://deadline.com/2019/08/wga-mem...ts-1202665027/

https://deadline.com/2019/08/wga-mee...se-1202664541/

in the meantime, shows are staffed and back in the room, many big overall deals are being made sans agents, pitch meetings and spec sales continue apace . . .

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
              can you provide the twitter feed you're referring to? please.
              Just search twitter for "WGA event" and sort by latest.

Comment

Is it a big disagreement or is it like Biden vs Warren where at the end of the day, no matter what they say their views are on the subject, truth is if they are president, the Democrat is going to try to do pretty much the same things and accomplish the same things against the GOP that any Democrat would. So even if one side says I would do this on healthcare and i would do this, they would probably both get same result because it's always a compromise if they can get anything at all with the GOP!

That's how I see it from afar. We would do this. We would do this. You stink at doing that. No you don't get it, that's not how this works. But whoever wins, would end up with the same result is my guess... am i wrong?

It's honestly very difficult to know what the Nagy slate would do, because they're all over the place in terms of their rhetoric. At least one candidate on their slate writes very explicitly in his candidate statement that he thinks we should just take whatever deal we can get and go back to our agents ASAP... and yet, whenever the slate is accused of having that exact motive, they'll deny it up and down and basically charge the accuser with slander.

Literally all of the supposed harms they list for the Agency campaign link back to the idea that writers are "suffering" without agents... and yet when they're asked if their idea is to end the "suffering" by making a quick deal, they say no.

So who can say?

One thing seems very clear: if the Nagy slate wins, we will lose the agency campaign. Maybe we'll lose it the way SAG lost it-- people will just drift back to their agents, and we'll operate for years without a Franchise Agreement, to our detriment. Or maybe we'll lose it a different way-- by taking a shitty deal whose gains do not remotely justify the magnitude of member sacrifice.

If/when current leadership wins reelection, there will also be a lot of unknowns. Maybe we'll never go back to the Big Three. Maybe the Big Three will stop being so big. Maybe there will be a new Biggie in town. Maybe the dissenters will be proved right, and writer status will decline in TV unchecked. It's a scary road to travel, but sometimes the risky choice is the best.

Comment

okay i found the articles deadline has, just got the email a bit ago. so i believe the basic differences are actually a wide chasm-- even though the endgame "appears" to be the same, it may not be.

the current leadership wants to stick to their guns-- no packaging and no affiliated prodco connection. these are the two biggest issues, so i'm going to stick with them. they (WGAe amd WGAw)have conceded to a, i think, 3% interest that agents can personally have in an affiliate (or maybe any?) prodco under the new revised contracts.

the opposition wants to go immediately back to the table and negotiate with the ATA, who (the ATA) has already said they are NOT going to negotiate further. the opposition believe that the current leadership has "stopped negotiating," which is untrue.

the opposition believes that they are more capable of negotiating a deal with the ATA that will get writers back working (not sure when they stopped), and that if the ATA doesn't concede the opposition will give them a different opportunity to come to an agreement--

and right there is the biggest flaw in their very thin strategy (from what i've read)-- you've now admitted publicly that if the ATA doesn't agree you'll just go back and give them something else to consider-- which translates to mean the guild conceding. imo, you lose all leverage that way.

did you notice how the other big firms (forgot which one) said their going to wait until after the elections? interesting, right?

now the ATA doesn't have to do anything but say, "no" and wait for the concessions to come down the pike. they (ATA) will believe that if they wait it out, the DGA will come to an agreement with AMPTP first (by end of year prob), and with it their agreement will somehow force the guild to fold in some way.

the opposition also believes they can negotiate a packaging deal where the writer's agent's income (and packaging fees) are tied to the success of the writer-- whatever the F that means. they do seem to agree that the affiliate prodcos have to go.

the current leadership is not looking to negotiate a larger deal on packaging fees as they've already stated that any move to do so would still, in fact, be a conflict of interest. they do not want affiliates at all.

speculating:
                  it's possible that the opposition's team thought this wasn't going to last as long as it has and they (opposition) want to go back to working with their agents before the next pilot season hits. it could be that they fear without their agents there may be other writer's creations/shows that might "steal" their "ins" that they've always had in the past. *this is my guessing. i'm not saying that's certain, it's what it "feels" like.

it's already been shown that TV staffing season can run without agents-- at least so far. the same number of writers are working as last year, though it is possibly a different mix. the guild is supposed to be there for all writers, not just the ones that had a position last year. it seems that the efforts of writers supporting writers has helped this staffing season.

someone feel free to clarify or correct any misstatements. my thoughts are based on what i've read so far.
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
                    Just search twitter for "WGA event" and sort by latest.
                    thanks, DangoForth, will check it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X