No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MAN OF STEEL teasers

Originally posted by SteveLilley View Post
    It isn't just IN the second issue - it's on the COVER. That's how quickly Lex figures out that Superman is Clark Kent after the reboot
    Now I remember...Kent's on a computer screen or something...

Completely off topic...but the best fvcking Lex Luther story ever was the backup story (I think it was when Superman 'fought' the Joker) where Luther travels to a small-town diner and offers a waitress a million dollars to spend a month(?) with him. Just to fvck with her. Great 5 or 6 pages.

HH (who should be, but is not, ashamed that he remembers this kinda sh!t, but can't tell you anything about say, Mark Twain or Dickens, and thinks 'classical' literature is the Spider-Man/Jackal run from the mid-70s)

Comment

Yep. Bingo. That's the cover, and I believe the issue starts out with Clark outrunning Darkseid's omega beams. Darkseid was trying to transport Superman to Apokalipse, but he's presented with something of a pickle because he's dressed as Clark. So he can't let it hit him or it would raise too many questions.

Fun gag.

I've never seen it, but isn't that backup story with Lex just sort of the same thing as that movie INDECENT PROPOSAL? Only in eight pages, and it's just a goof on Lex's part?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLilley View Post
        I've never seen it, but isn't that backup story with Lex just sort of the same thing as that movie INDECENT PROPOSAL? Only in eight pages, and it's just a goof on Lex's part?
        Yes, it was. But I liked how it said more about Lex's character in those few pages than about 50 years of storytelling.

ETA: AH-HAH! Knew it had to be online: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...ments-day-205/

HH

Comment

It's legitimately great. I was just wondering.

Byrne's Lex is still my favorite portrayal of Lex ever. A close second is Morrison's approach where he's almost like an evil Sherlock Holmes (for lack of a better comparison), followed by a way distant third with the whole "Evil Real Estate Agent" portrayal from the Donner/Singer universe, followed by an even more distant fourth with his original portrayal where he's literally just a mad scientist who is annoyed at Superboy for making him lose his hair.

I thought the biggest missed opportunity with SUPERMAN RETURNS was that Superman didn't come back to find Lex some sort of legitimate businessman/philanthropist that everyone suddenly loved. He'd been working the "I'm reformed, look!" angle for five years and when Superman comes back he gets to play the "*I* didn't run out on you, guys!" angle as well. Only to of course have it turn out he had an evil plan that Superman foils by lifting something huge.

Seems like a home run. Also, in a movie about how weird it is for Superman to leave and come back and find everyone got along fine without him, how much better would it have been if they ALSO embraced Lex and were like "Beat it, stupid!" when he gets back.

AND it gets me my favorite portrayal of Lex, so wins all around, ha.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
            Completely off topic...but the best fvcking Lex Luther story ever was the backup story (I think it was when Superman 'fought' the Joker) where Luther travels to a small-town diner and offers a waitress a million dollars to spend a month(?) with him. Just to fvck with her. Great 5 or 6 pages.

That's one of my favourite Lex Luthor stories. I think I still have that issue somewhere.
            "Only nothing is impossible."
            - Grant Morrison

Comment

Working...
            X