Are original concepts wanted by Hollywood?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are original concepts wanted by Hollywood?

Originally posted by holly View Post

btw, many hollywood execs are highly literate, very smart, and LOVE writing. they have to wade through so much so so material and are over the moon when something fresh shows up on their desk.
    I was once at dinner where I had a chance to talk to a exec with a pretty successful production entity. He said that when he gets even a mediocre script it's cause for celebration. So when he actually gets a solid producible script it's so rare that he's almost amazed when he gets one...

Comment

btw, many hollywood execs are highly literate, very smart, and LOVE writing. they have to wade through so much so so material and are over the moon when something fresh shows up on their desk.
      Originally posted by EdFury View Post
      I was once at dinner where I had a chance to talk to a exec with a pretty successful production entity. He said that when he gets even a mediocre script it's cause for celebration. So when he actually gets a solid producible script it's so rare that he's almost amazed when he gets one...
      See, this is what I don't get. It's extremely hard for unrepped writers to get their scripts read. So one would assume that most of the scripts being read by execs are by writers who have agents/managers, and thus have been vetted. If this is the case, why do we keep hearing these complaints about the lack of quality of scripts in circulation? Could this mean the instincts of reps regarding writers are often wrong? Would love to be enlightened about this...
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
        See, this is what I don't get. It's extremely hard for unrepped writers to get their scripts read. So one would assume that most of the scripts being read by execs are by writers who have agents/managers, and thus have been vetted. If this is the case, why do we keep hearing these complaints about the lack of quality of scripts in circulation? Could this mean the instincts of reps regarding writers are often wrong? Would love to be enlightened about this...

I think both pro and "semi-pro"/repped writers write and circulate horrible scripts ALL THE TIME (There's no need to name names but go onto The Tracking Board and check out some of the scripts that are circulating). However, the script that allowed them to break in or get repped was in all likelihood not horrible. Someone obviously thought it was terrific.

Also, related to this, the one factor I think many people tend to forget about or are kind of dismissive of is subjectivity. What's fresh to one producer/exec is regurgitated trash to another. There's a lot of people -- namely those who make their living in the screenwriting cottage industry -- who REALLY don't want screenwriters to be aware of this, but it's just about getting the right script into the right hands at the right time. Yes. You have to work at it for a long time to get good. Yes. You have to give it 110 percent. But in the end it just comes down to that.

Comment

except when a script is truly great (original, castable, marketable, creative, zeitgeisty) the town blows up. there are not so very many of those, by pros or non pros.

screenwriters who break in have such an idea. but they don't have long careers unless they keep generating those kind of ideas, or are proven to execute writing jobs with cleverness, efficiency, professionalism. so they will fill the system with less than great scripts, until they get phased out. i can't remember what the average length of a screenwriting career is. its damn short.

your not great to pretty darn good script can't compete with those who are already repped. your only hope is the great script and they ALWAYS seem to find a way in. because there are not so many of em.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
            Also, related to this, the one factor I think many people tend to forget about or are kind of dismissive of is subjectivity. What's fresh to one producer/exec is regurgitated trash to another. There's a lot of people -- namely those who make their living in the screenwriting cottage industry -- who REALLY don't want screenwriters to be aware of this, but it's just about getting the right script into the right hands at the right time. Yes. You have to work at it for a long time to get good. Yes. You have to give it 110 percent. But in the end it just comes down to that.
            I think you are definitely right about this, and it's something I have to keep reminding myself of. It's a bit distressing, because it implies that for all the talent one may have and for all the confidence one might have in his/her script, there's still the huge variable of luck - luck involved in getting that script into the right hands at the right time. And that is largely beyond our control.

While I believe in hard work and giving it 110 percent, I also believe that everything happens for a reason. Maybe some people who are really talented just weren't meant to be professional screenwriters, and maybe some people who aren't as talented were. Okay, I'll stop ruminating on this, it's making me depressed

i can't remember what the average length of a screenwriting career is. its damn short.
            Wow. This makes me feel even better, lol...
            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

To me, it just comes down to doing what writers do. Write. Because that's all we can control. The product. The output. The script.

Yes, original concepts are wanted. Yes, great writers are wanted. Yes, luck plays a part. In everything. Yes, yes, yes. But no, you can't worry about that sh|t. You can't worry about what happens after you, the great writer, nails a great original spec. Luck will play a part. As it always does.

But you can't worry about that. Because that's not your job. That's not what you bring to the table. You bring the skill. You bring the script. Whether you leave the table with that script or with a check is a moot point. Because you need to write that great script first.

That is the only certainty here. A great original spec. Do you have it? Probably not. So go write it. And then worry about luck or whatever else. Because then you're allowed to. Right now, you're not...

Comment

this is old WGA data but all a quick hunt dug up.
                Most writers are middle class; 46% did not even work last year. Of those who do work, one quarter make less than $37,700 a year and 50% make less than $105,000 a year. Over a five year period of employment and unemployment, a writer’s average income is $62,000 per year. Guild data shows that, out of all the writers actually employed in a given year, only 20% will work in each of the next five years. Beyond that group there is a sliding scale: 20% will work in only four of those five years, 20% in three… and 20% will not work at all.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                  I think you are definitely right about this, and it's something I have to keep reminding myself of. It's a bit distressing, because it implies that for all the talent one may have and for all the confidence one might have in his/her script, there's still the huge variable of luck - luck involved in getting that script into the right hands at the right time. And that is largely beyond our control.

While I believe in hard work and giving it 110 percent, I also believe that everything happens for a reason. Maybe some people who are really talented just weren't meant to be professional screenwriters, and maybe some people who aren't as talented were. Okay, I'll stop ruminating on this, it's making me depressed
                  I actually don't think it's all that depressing. I mean, when you think about it subjectivity is VERY fair. It works both for and against you in equal measure. Yes there are scripts that light up the whole town and are liked by nine of every 10 people, but in all likelihood none of us will ever write that script. We'll write the script that's liked by three of every 10 or maybe just one of every 20, or one of every 40 people. But all it takes is that one person. Back to the Future was passed on -- what -- 45 times before it got a yes? Most important thing is just to keep writing and not worry about it. Like you said if it was meant to happen it will, if not, then no.
                  Last edited by grumpywriter; 11-04-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

i have said it here multiple times, but a sense of timing isn't just luck of the draw - its part of the job. having a sense of the zeitgeist, and of patterns, what works right now, even if its unconscious, is required if you are going to do this for a living.

you can break in on luck but every single project needs to answer "why here, why now." failure to do so seperates the very good screenplays that sell from those that don't.

This. Again, times a million.
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
                      I think both pro and "semi-pro"/repped writers write and circulate horrible scripts ALL THE TIME (There's no need to name names but go onto The Tracking Board and check out some of the scripts that are circulating). However, the script that allowed them to break in or get repped was in all likelihood not horrible. Someone obviously thought it was terrific.
                      This fits the facts of my theory of creativity.

Because of pure luck, happenstance, osmosis, a great original mind-blowing idea pops into ones head. They have some literary talent. They write a script. It blows everyone away. It gets sold.

And then, when asked to write something equally amazing, they fall flat. Just look at Diablo Cody: Juno -- Epic, Jennifer's Body -- Meh. Why? Something can't come from nothing. Great original ideas are accidental. They're not generated through extensive training or arduous thought.

Just look at great scientific ideas for comparison. String Theory wasn't discovered by some guy scribbling away on a piece of paper for fifty years. It was purely accidental. A physicist was casually browsing a math textbook of Leonhard Euler's old equations. One caught his eye. It was for a coiled string, but it resembled the equation that governed the Strong Nuclear Force (The one that binds Protons and Neutrons together). Boom. The Theory of Everything.

BTW, Einstein was scribbling away on a piece of paper for the last 10 years of his life looking for precisely such an original theory. He had no luck.
                      I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Re: Op's question: Of course they want original concepts. But they want original concepts executed well, executed in a way that exploits all the potential and plugs all the plot holes. With characters and dialogue developed so well it has A-list actors chomping at the bit to play the roles.

Unless our original concepts meet all the above criteria, all we have is a promising idea in which they have to invest a lot of time and money to get the script up to par. And why should they when the industry is overflowing with concepts?

Truth be told, most newbie scripts, including my own, are not executed to their fullest potential.

After the passage of a few years, I went back and looked at some of my early scripts. One of which (the second script I ever wrote) hooked a number of read requests that ended up in passes. Clearly they liked the original idea in the logline. And with the clarity I've gained with time, I could look at this script now and honestly say it's crystal clear I fvcked up the execution on many levels.
                        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                          Great original ideas are accidental. They're not generated through extensive training or arduous thought.

That is nuts. Or rather, it only explains people who don't have the power to generate great ideas. It doesn't explain Ryan Murphy, John August, Charlie Kaufman, Vince Gilligan, Lauren Irungarich (if youhaven't heard of her yet, you will)..... or most of the truly successful people in Hollywood who have longevity in the business.

Comment

I'm gonna find out soon and will give you a proper report, but so far -- I'm not sure they are.

I have a really strong concept of which a Black List reader wrote: "The premise is completely original and fascinating (...) It's an original concept with a lot of grit and emotionality - on the level of LOOPER." (I'm so happy with that review!)

Real world? Only one of over 100 managers / agents I queried before going BL requested to see my script. Will see if BL helps.

I had a MUCH better response for a contained thriller (already optioned.)

Comment

That is nuts. Or rather, it only explains people who don't have the power to generate great ideas. It doesn't explain Ryan Murphy, John August, Charlie Kaufman, Vince Gilligan, Lauren Irungarich (if youhaven't heard of her yet, you will)..... or most of the truly successful people in Hollywood who have longevity in the business.
                              When I say "Great," I mean GREAT. Good ideas or OK stories don't qualify. I'm talking Amadeus, Braveheart, Gladiator, Groundhog Day level of epic.

You can't ask John August or Craig Mazin or any other writer "Hey, here's $1 Million, pen me the next "Groundhog Day." Have it on my desk by the end of the year. You simply can't conjure up once in a generation type stories on a whim.
                              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Your last statement had nothing to do with what holly said in her post.

You simply can't conjure up once in a generation type stories on a whim.
                                I agree.

Great original ideas are accidental. They're not generated through extensive training or arduous thought.
                                I disagree.

Comment

Working...
                                X