Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #21
MargoChanning

Default Re: What would you do here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
COPYRIGHT AND NDA AND SUCH...

I'm saying there's always a risk sending material to strangers.

I'm just confused how you knew of him and how he knew of your project and why he would do this at all...

I'm sorry to hear all this, but what I would do would be not to engage anyone like this online again unless they work for a real production company.

I want to punch this guy in the face for you, but I don't know why. And I want to shake you and say, please don't do this again. lesson learned.
Thanks for your comment, and yeah, I wish you could punch him in the face, too.

He reached out to ME on a FB filmmakers group, after I posted about my female-driven thriller.

He asked if we could talk on the phone. The guy seemed to be who he said he was. I checked out his imdb page. Nothing to swoon over, but you never know, right? And, as I said, I got the impression he has bucks.

Now, here's the thing: He has not responded to my emails and my texts have bounced back. He has seemingly, FALLEN OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

Why the F would someone do this? I'm not overly paranoid in that I think his plan his to rip off my screenplay, but yeah, he could definitely rip off the concept.

I feel I should take some sort of action here, but I'll be damned what that is. Unless I go back to the FB group and post a kind of broad "alert," not using his name, naturally. Or, I'll just forget the whole damned thing.

BTW, in all my years on this site, I've never connected with a producer. ;-)
MargoChanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #22
MargoChanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
PM his phone number, I'll smoke him out.
Will do! PM forthcoming.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #23
JeffLowell

The whole thing is kind of odd.

NDA's are what writers sign when they're working with a studio on a high profile project. I had to sign them when I worked with Illumination on future projects.

It would have made more sense to me if he asked you to sign a release form - that's pretty standard.

I've never heard of a producer having to sign anything before they read a script.

Am I missing something?
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #24
Bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargoChanning View Post
Thanks for your comment, and yeah, I wish you could punch him in the face, too.

He reached out to ME on a FB filmmakers group, after I posted about my female-driven thriller.

He asked if we could talk on the phone. The guy seemed to be who he said he was. I checked out his imdb page. Nothing to swoon over, but you never know, right? And, as I said, I got the impression he has bucks.

Now, here's the thing: He has not responded to my emails and my texts have bounced back. He has seemingly, FALLEN OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

Why the F would someone do this? I'm not overly paranoid in that I think his plan his to rip off my screenplay, but yeah, he could definitely rip off the concept.

I feel I should take some sort of action here, but I'll be damned what that is. Unless I go back to the FB group and post a kind of broad "alert," not using his name, naturally. Or, I'll just forget the whole damned thing.

BTW, in all my years on this site, I've never connected with a producer. ;-)
did you have contact with him for like 1 day or you've talked to him or say his name over the course of months, years? Like the way you interact with people on here and then you may connect?

My question is did you talk to him before this interaction?

Also if you click on his FB username or however he posted, there's nothing new?

Is there anyone else on FB message board you can PM and ask if they have dealt with this person?

Yes, I have zero idea what he could have done. Maybe he read the script and hated it. Maybe he was just showing off and then got scared that he didnt' have any money. Maybe he was flirting. I don't know.

But whatever you're concept is, someone else already wrote, anyone can "steal" it, but it will never be your work. If he tries to slap his name on someone's else's script, he's not going to get very far when people start asking him to change things etc.

Listen, is there a chance HE is on this board too? I mean we are all anonymous. Or most of us, except Jeff Lowell. I'm really Bono, but dont' tell anyone.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #25
MargoChanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
The whole thing is kind of odd.

NDA's are what writers sign when they're working with a studio on a high profile project. I had to sign them when I worked with Illumination on future projects.

It would have made more sense to me if he asked you to sign a release form - that's pretty standard.

I've never heard of a producer having to sign anything before they read a script.

Am I missing something?

Not really. I was taken aback, as well. He offered, and I said okay. Maybe because he's also an "actor?" I suppose I should have asked why he thought it was necessary. Live and learn.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #26
MargoChanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
did you have contact with him for like 1 day or you've talked to him or say his name over the course of months, years? Like the way you interact with people on here and then you may connect?

My question is did you talk to him before this interaction?

Also if you click on his FB username or however he posted, there's nothing new?

Is there anyone else on FB message board you can PM and ask if they have dealt with this person?

Yes, I have zero idea what he could have done. Maybe he read the script and hated it. Maybe he was just showing off and then got scared that he didnt' have any money. Maybe he was flirting. I don't know.

But whatever you're concept is, someone else already wrote, anyone can "steal" it, but it will never be your work. If he tries to slap his name on someone's else's script, he's not going to get very far when people start asking him to change things etc.

Listen, is there a chance HE is on this board too? I mean we are all anonymous. Or most of us, except Jeff Lowell. I'm really Bono, but dont' tell anyone.

You know...I don't know. It's just one of those conundrums that leaves you scratching your head. That's all. I still believe in courtesy. Yeah. Idiotic, I know. If he changed his mind, or whatever, shooting me a three-second email would have done the job.

Okay. Enough said. Thanks all.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:40 AM   #27
LauriD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
Copyrighting your work is sufficient. I have never nor would I ever ask for anyone to sign a NDA. No offense to the poster or those who disagree, but it's a rookie move. The threat of having work stolen is close enough to zero that worrying about it is the real mistake in a situation like this. Again, just my opinion and I don't mean to upset MargoChanning.
100% agree.

It's incredibly unlikely that you'd have anything stolen. It WAY cheaper to simply pay the writer (especially a newbie) rather than have to face a lawsuit -- and any experienced producer knows that.

In the very unlikely event that something is stolen, you own the copyright with or without registration -- though you have to register before suing, so it's a good idea to do it sooner rather than later.

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:55 AM   #28
lumous
New User

NDA for screenplays is unheard of, the fact that this Producer bringing it up must be an amateur, also Producers don't use their own money, so doesn't matter if he has dough or not.

Screenplays are copywritable but concepts aren't. People in development have told me stories about where they have rejected screenplays but used the "concept". Your only protection is to write the best screenplay.

You should post to your FB group and ask about they guy. Likely he's approached other people too.
lumous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #29
MargoChanning

Thank you, both, for the last two comments.

I've pretty much put this aside. People are whacked and there is no getting around it.

The script has a copyright and WGA registration, so that's it. I did post on the FB group, by the way.

Just another leg of the "journey." Thanks, again.