Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
msmarinajb
User

Default What's a Good Response

I attended my first face to face pitch festival a couple of months back (www.fadeinonline.com) and I was quite satisfied with the response I received, but I had no point of reference, so I'd love to hear other's experience with pitch festivals.

I pitched an comedy project to about twelve production companies and of those pitches, five requested to see the script. One of them was Mandalay Pictures, but they gave me the slip by saying they would get back to me with the name of the person I should send the script to, the others, I sent the script to them after some intense re-reading and re-writing to make sure it was polished.

I pitched a second project, a drama, to about seven companies and received no script request, but a lot of "good story, not really what we're looking for".

Now, I'm trying to decide whether or not to attend more of these face to face pitch festivals (talk about exhausting), but I want to focus my efforts in the right direction. Given the number of well known companies that come to these festivals, I consider the registration fees a small investments, but I still have a difficult time determining if anything is ever really sold as a result of this type of pitching.

If anyone else has experience with face to face pitch festivals I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

MJ
msmarinajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
odriftwood

Default Re: What's a Good Response

I think it's a great experience especially if you get a chance after every pitch to ask the most important question: "So what exactly are you looking for?" There is nothing wrong with building relationships like this and it is a really proactive step. These companies wouldn't sign on board if they didn't hold out the hope that they might find a diamond amongst the rough....
odriftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
msmarinajb
User

Default Re: What's a Good Response

Thanks, many of the people I pitched to I got to ask the question first. The way it worked at FadeIn, they told you what the production company was looking for, but if they were a standby picth (as opposed to one I made an appointment with), then I'd ask first what they were looking for and if I didn't have anything in that Genre, I'd tell them what I did have and ask what they preferred to hear.

It was clear that the comedy I had was the hand's down favorite, even the companies that said it wasn't what they were looking for, laughed a lot.

So, I know they liked the concept I pitched, now I'm trying to figure out if they liked the script.

MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by odriftwood
I think it's a great experience especially if you get a chance after every pitch to ask the most important question: "So what exactly are you looking for?" There is nothing wrong with building relationships like this and it is a really proactive step. These companies wouldn't sign on board if they didn't hold out the hope that they might find a diamond amongst the rough....
msmarinajb is offline   Reply With Quote