Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
nkwriter
New User

Default Animation screenplay

Hello,

Can someone guide me on the different approaches I can take to get a production house to read my animation screenplay? How do I find agents/ managers/ production houses open to animation?

Thanks!
nkwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Dean

Default Re: Animation screenplay

I'm not sure if it's possible, outside of TV. Time and time again it's been said that animated films are mostly developed in-house and rarely result from a spec (That's not stopping me...shhh!). When Pixar was looking for a writer for Toy Story 3, they asked around for good, up-and-coming writers and found Michael Ardnt.

Best case is that you use it as a writing sample. Extremely best case is someone wants to buy it. My suggestion is to try and shop it around as a screenplay and not an ANIMATED screenplay. Let them decide where it works best.

- Native American proverb -
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
nkwriter
New User

Thanks, Dean! It's going to be quite a ride :-)
Old 10-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
hscope

It's difficult, but with a bit of persistance you can get read requests.

I never managed to get anywhere near Pixar or Dreamworks, though I haven't given up, but my script travelled up the line to quite giddy heights at Fox Animation after I queried Blue Sky Studios. They eventually passed, but it was an exciting couple of weeks.

I also received requests from a few other middle-range prodcos and even did some rewrites for a local Australian producer, who was briefly very interested.

All I did was go through the producer list on every animated movie for the last few years and emailed them. I also contacted the agents and managers of the writers on those pictures. It's been fruitless so far, but the wealth of contact information on the internet when you start digging is amazing.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:13 AM   #5
nkwriter
New User

Thanks, hscope! I'll start building my list.
Just curious... Blue Sky and others don't talk unless you have an agent. How did you manage to query them?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
hscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkwriter View Post
Thanks, hscope! I'll start building my list.
Just curious... Blue Sky and others don't talk unless you have an agent. How did you manage to query them?
This was a couple of years ago. They had a note on their web site saying they didn't take unsolicited queries, so I sent them an email saying I had an award nominated animated family script - I didn't mention the title or logline - and said I would be happy to have my lawyer submit the logline, script, whatever. (I had an LA lawyer who I used at $30 a pop to submit)

Anyway, next day I had an email from the Fox legal department with a release form and a demand to know who my lawyer was and off we went.

I suspect timing was everything and I had nothing but very positive feedback until two weeks later, when the feedback turned negative, which was one of Fox's biggest mistakes
Old 10-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
stainjm

I just turned two of my animated screenplays into novels (for ages 7-12), and am going to put them on Amazon around Christmas time (depending on editing and cover artist).

That's another route you can go - it doesn't take too long to convert, because children's books (chapter books or lower middle grade, I mean) don't want as much description/flowery prose as literary novels, so if you have a 100 page script just copy it into word, change to past tense (if you want), add some cool description and the five senses here and there, and then pay someone to edit it.

Not saying that will get it made into a movie, but it will be out there at least, and if it gets popular, then who knows.

Then again, you will be my competition, so.... (just kidding, we can always cross promote).
stainjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
nkwriter
New User

@hscope, thanks for the clarification, and sorry it didn't work out. I wish you luck with your next submission.

@justin, just curious why you didn't submit your screenplay to amazon studios, or did you try that before converting to children's books?
Old 10-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
stainjm

Oh yeah, I did that a while back - no love. That's okay
stainjm is offline   Reply With Quote