Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #11
Centos

Default Re: Blacklist Experience #1239932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfress View Post
Notes on setting usually mean you did not make you case effectively as to why this story should be set in this location. You have to make a case for you setting in your story, if you don't then it's just 'there' and has no significance to the story.
Personally, I think a forest creature living in the forest is probably a strong enough case for a forest setting. I guess you could go for irony and have the forest creature live in the desert. But, seriously, I have no clue why you would have to "make a case for the setting." Aren't fantasy stories usually set in the forest? This just sounds like something for the reviewer to say so he can make his review a little longer -- kind of like busy work.

Actually, to me, by what little I've seen of these reviews and gleaned by reading the comments, it looks like the Blacklist "game" is to say enough positive to keep you coming back, but enough negative to justify not giving a high score. It would be interesting to read this specific script in light of the comments and compare them with my own views. I'm guessing there would be drastic differences.

Last edited by Centos : 05-27-2017 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Added comments
Centos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #12
Cyfress

The creature isn't the main character. It's a player in the setting. The main character is the groom. So the question is why does this character's story belong in a forest setting?

The mythical beast does not have to be a forest creature. This could be set on the ocean and it can be an ocean creature, or set in the mountains and be a mountain creature.

I don't think the writer is making a strong enough case for this character's story to be told in this setting. What does the forest represent? Is it a metaphor for something in the character's life? Is it a representation of how the character feels inside? There is absolutely no reason to pick a physical location and not work it into the story. It makes your story that much stronger, gives it another ah-ha moment for the reader. The more ah-ha moments you can compile in a script, the better.
Cyfress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:28 AM   #13
Ryan Rodriguez
User

I honestly believe there isnít a Blacklist ďgameĒ. Thereís no conspiracy to feed on the dreams of wannabe screenwriters. However, Iím torn about the Blacklist.

I think itís similar to studios in that it has a reader-mote. An aspiring screenwriter has to impress a reader in order to get a chance to entertain the royal court.

However, the difference between querying a studio and participating in the Blacklist is that the writer is paying a gatekeeper for the chance to entertain the reader.

Now, I think in any given studio, thereís some kid reading scripts, maybe doesnít get what theyíre reading or they just heard their cousin has been hit by a bus or whatever. They arenít going to allow the screenplay to swim upstream.

What I find appealing about the blacklist is that I, an unrepresented writer, has the chance to entertain a royal court who only accepts solicited material, provided I can get past the reader.

So my only hope for the blacklist (like any other competition) is that I earn a golden score so that just one shopper might be introduced to my story and decide they want to put it in their pageant.

The problem I have with the Blacklist is that if I fail to entertain the first dreaded reader, Iím out the cost of admission and gain nothing. The comments are too cursory. Like all readers, itís difficult to trust if the screenplay was actually read or was subjected to a heavy skim.

It doesnít offer anything a competition doesnít.

If I place in the semis (8+), it can go in a query letter, at the least. But if it doesnít, Iím out the cost of admission.
Ryan Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #14
StoryWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Rodriguez View Post
What I find appealing about the blacklist is that I, an unrepresented writer, has the chance to entertain a royal court who only accepts solicited material, provided I can get past the reader.
Well, at least that's the illusion Blacklist wants to project. I sometimes wonder if you're only getting to the court jester.

Last edited by StoryWriter : 05-28-2017 at 10:37 AM.
StoryWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #15
Cyfress

Ryan, rid yourself of the thought that the Hollywood gatekeeper is a college kid with ADD. It does nothing for you except give your pride some relief from rejection. People reading scripts in LA know what they are doing. They've had hundreds, thousands of good movies pass through their hands and they know what one looks like.

How does the blacklist work exactly? The writer pays to host a script, what if they do not pay for reads? Does anyone read the script and give it a score? Or do you just have an unscored script in the databank. When someone looking for material searches the blacklist for lets say a comedy with a small budget, do the scripts pop up in order of score with the higher scored scripts at the top?

Seems like paying for a review is a double edged sword, if you get an 8 or a 9 then your script will get 'some' attention? If you get a low score there's a good chance no one will look at it?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #16
Ryan Rodriguez
User

Quote:
Ryan, rid yourself of the thought that the Hollywood gatekeeper is a college kid with ADD. It does nothing for you except give your pride some relief from rejection. People reading scripts in LA know what they are doing. They've had hundreds, thousands of good movies pass through their hands and they know what one looks like.
I'm not saying the Blacklist readers aren't competent. I'm not saying readers in general aren't competent.

Just saying that there are plenty of reasons material gets passed on and thereís no discernible way of telling why a particular reader passed on it. I donít doubt they know what theyíre doing but it doesnít change the fact that they might not be the ideal reader for the script. Thereís such thing as a bad day. Just because a reader passes on a script doesnít mean the script canít find a home elsewhere. Just because a reader recommends a script doesnít mean the script has found a home.

I can have faith in the readers of LA but a reader at smart entertainment (anger management, blades of glory) isnít the same reader at Troma Ent. (toxic avenger).

We have no idea what rubric a reader is using at the Blacklist. Are they made aware of the needs of specific companies or are they reading for all companies and potential producers that could ever exist? Are they saying to themselves, ďbased on the needs of the clients who have signed up at the Blacklist, Iím looking for X,Y,Z.Ē? "This would be ideal for Lee Daniels..." etc.
Ryan Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:59 PM   #17
Centos

Quote:
The creature isn't the main character. It's a player in the setting. The main character is the groom. So the question is why does this character's story belong in a forest setting?
The forest creature is the antagonist and stories are driven by the antagonists, not the protagonists.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #18
AnconRanger

don't know if this adds anything useful to the discussion; i'm sure it won't go so far to be illuminating, but i read about or watched a group of TOP book lit agents discussing their work, and i remember one of them saying something along the lines of how he had probably passed on the same number of books that went on to do well, receive praise, etc, as the number of books he had taken on, that did the same.

he didn't read IT, or see IT, in the books he rejected, but another agent/reader had a completely different reaction. subjective business.

i tried to read ON THE ROAD by Kerouac (hope i spelled his name correctly) here and there over a period of a long time. there are books and authors that rub me the sleepy or wrong way but i keep trying to get along with them. i'm southern and all, but i have never been able to read much of Faulkner. sorry, ya'll. but i'll keep trying. why? i have no idea.

about my fifth attempt or so at ON THE ROAD, i finally found myself on the road.
AnconRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #19
Cyfress

The Antagonist is definitely a huge moving part of the story. The Antagonist usually comes from setting. Who would be the antagonist in a court room drama? Could be a judge, a witness, a lawyer? Who is the antagonist in a love story? A parent? an Ex lover? A Best Friend?

No doubt one thing limbo writers don't do is spend enough time writing the story from the antag's POV. Even if the antag is a force of nature.

What I'm talking about is the dramatic setting of the narrative. The core situation that requires action on behalf of the characters. A lot of times the situation isn't as thick with drama as the writer thinks and it needs to be amped up.

When you drag your hero through a forest for a half the script, you better have a dam good reason why structurally and metaphorically.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #20
purplenurple
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
Well, at least that's the illusion Blacklist wants to project. I sometimes wonder if you're only getting to the court jester.

I completely agree with this statement. The readers are the gatekeeper for whom? I think most of the professional lurkers on that site are people who claim to be producers because one can make that claim maybe based on producing a short film in college. There's no transparency. And there's very little success stories. Has anyone sold anything? I mean made mid 5 figure and up through this site of late? Or is it a lot of 1 dollar to 100 dollar options by people who made one microbudget film 7 years ago and they option a project a week. The kind also seeking writers on craigslist. I strongly believe these are the bulk of the "pros" there. That and the assistant to the assistant at some 3rd or 4th rate management agency that is not likely to be in business in a year or that assistant who liked it will move on in 2 months to another job/field. You know what the turnover is for that kind of help?
purplenurple is offline   Reply With Quote