No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scripts about a famous historical figure

Hello all -
    Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on writing a biographical script? I know these types of movies were a trend for awhile, with Troy and Alexender coming to mind. But I haven't seen any for awhile.

I think my big fear is that these types of movies are big budget and I'm not established enough to do that kind of writing. Or does that not matter? I mean a good script is a good script, but does that go out the window when you're unknown and pitching something of a tent pole nature?

Any thoughts or insights would be most helpful! Thank you.

Re: Scripts about a famous historical figure

These can be (and are) written and shot for lower budgets. Concentrate on the personal narrative, not the events themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
      These can be (and are) written and shot for lower budgets. Concentrate on the personal narrative, not the events themselves.
      Thank you, that's very reassuring because that's what I'm going for with the one I'm working on. I'm about 45 pages into it and going to keep at it!

Comment

Originally posted by melissafield View Post
        Hello all -
        Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on writing a biographical script? I know these types of movies were a trend for awhile, with Troy and Alexender coming to mind.
        To the best of my recollection, Troy contains no historical figures.

I think my big fear is that these types of movies are big budget and I'm not established enough to do that kind of writing.
        Eh? In the last two years, we've had American Sniper, Selma, Unbroken, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, Straight Outta Compton, Steve Jobs, Pawn Sacrifice, and Trumbo. I don't think any of those was more than $50 or $60 million.

Regardless, unless you're planning on making this yourself, budget means nothing, since it almost certainly will never get made. Go nuts. Crash the Moon into Canada and have a million CGI para-demons jump out of it, if that's what you think would make a fun movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Staircaseghost View Post
          Regardless, unless you're planning on making this yourself, budget means nothing, since it almost certainly will never get made. Go nuts. Crash the Moon into Canada and have a million CGI para-demons jump out of it, if that's what you think would make a fun movie.
          I'm sure you gave yourself a big pat on the back after writing this sarcastic comment.

Comment

I'm sure you gave yourself a big pat on the back after writing this sarcastic comment.
            Yikes.

Comment

the big-budget, cradle to grave "Ghandi" style bio pic is out (and some thanks for that).

but stories of lesser-known but important historical figures, focusing on a single event or slice of the subject's life that illuminates their place in history is prime mental real estate at the moment

Comment

Lol, he wasn't being sarcastic. Most movies don't get made, so he's(she's?) saying cut loose, have fun with it. Don't let the budget determine your content.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
                  Lol, he wasn't being sarcastic. Most movies don't get made, so he's(she's?) saying cut loose, have fun with it. Don't let the budget determine your content.
                  To expand on that, just because something doesn't get made doesn't mean that it won't be sold, or earn you representation, or become a calling card writing sample that gets you work. That's why you're sometimes better off just giving yourself the freedom you need to write the story you want.

Comment

Originally posted by omjs View Post
                    To expand on that, just because something doesn't get made doesn't mean that it won't be sold, or earn you representation, or become a calling card writing sample that gets you work. That's why you're sometimes better off just giving yourself the freedom you need to write the story you want.
                    Yep, exactly.

Comment

Like all films, it depends on your scope and scale. As a history teach I'm just curious as to what time period and or character were you looking at writing about?

I wouldn't worry generally though. Lots of films like westerns and medieval films get made all the time and they are of course set in a certain time period. Westerns in particular can often be done on the cheap!
                      Screenplaywritenow.com - Write a screenplay. Write. Now.
                      SchismSEO - Separate from your competition. Affordable SEO services.
                      The Film Box - Movie news, reviews and fun!

Comment

Biographies are generally cheaper than Historic Dramas, especially if they are Epics (the fate of the nation is at stake).

Comment

Working...
                        X