No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Franklin Leonard

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
    The quality of the readers is absurdly hit or miss. Here's a link to the text of a review I received in 2016. Preposterous.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...5&postcount=61
    WHAT in the actual fukkin fukk kinda synopsis is that?? Yup, seems drunk or high or both. Im'a go with both.

Nah... bruh!

The script I sent in had 4 (FOUR) producers PITCHING ME wanting to attach. Should I say who? Fukk it, I will. I got nothin to lose at this point: Amblin was the main one, I'm blanking on who else but all were high level, but I ultimately went with Katalyst. They originally passed on me but wanted to attach after our general. I liked what they had to say, they liked what I had to say. So they retracted their pass. They said Ashton wanted to get into some more serious dark sh!t and I believed them. I had two different HOT showruners fighting to attach (the good old days, 5 years ago?).

Yet, the Blacklist (website) reader is like "Meh... this is just barely okay." Essentially.

Fukk that, I'm out...
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
      Thanks. So if you're a semi or finalist in one of the big 4 or 5 contests, are you likely to score in the 8 range? The contests can be subjective, but you still hit a certain range in the scoring. So, there's a certain amount of consistency. I am intrigued by the Blacklist, but know very little about how they are graded.
      it could, sure, there are plenty that don't win anything that receive high scores. are you a member of TBL? you can look at the top lists and see that a few are Nicholl semifinalists or finalists. and they can have reviews that are 6, 7, 8, and 9s.

the #1 script has been on the top list, it seems, since 2017.

my $100 mill sci-fi action thriller received 8s & 9s (and lower scores) which says it has a lot going for it, but the biggest problem is the budget and it will never get made because no one makes original IPs. that's the reality of the market.

i can guarantee you that it would never win a contest, neither would the other spec i have-- it's not the kind of thing contests gravitate to.

remember, there are only 10 finalists for the Nicholl each year. there are definitely more qualified writers and stories that can be movies.

the black list considers if it's ready for the market. that's not a criteria in most contests, you know?

and don't get me wrong. i completely understand the sting and disappointment of receiving low scores on the black list. low scores happen to the top scripts, too. that's why if you receive high scores it's good to take advantage of the "free" or "discounted" offers. the more consensus you build the more validity your project has.

still not a guarantee it will ever get made, though. it's just the nature of subjectivity. no one can escape it.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

finalact4 - I'm not super following where you're at: You used to be repped, fell outta writing for a bit, and now are trying to get repped up again?

If so, that's where I was at last year. Getting repped up a second time was tough. I still don't have an agent, only manager and lawyer. Looking for an agent. Agents are stupid hard these days.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
          it could, sure, there are plenty that don't win anything that receive high scores. are you a member of TBL? you can look at the top lists and see that a few are Nicholl semifinalists or finalists. and they can have reviews that are 6, 7, 8, and 9s.

the #1 script has been on the top list, it seems, since 2017.

my $100 mill sci-fi action thriller received 8s & 9s (and lower scores) which says it has a lot going for it, but the biggest problem is the budget and it will never get made because no one makes original IPs. that's the reality of the market.

i can guarantee you that it would never win a contest, neither would the other spec i have-- it's not the kind of thing contests gravitate to.

remember, there are only 10 finalists for the Nicholl each year. there are definitely more qualified writers and stories that can be movies.

the black list considers if it's ready for the market. that's not a criteria in most contests, you know?

and don't get me wrong. i completely understand the sting and disappointment of receiving low scores on the black list. low scores happen to the top scripts, too. that's why if you receive high scores it's good to take advantage of the "free" or "discounted" offers. the more consensus you build the more validity your project has.

still not a guarantee it will ever get made, though. it's just the nature of subjectivity. no one can escape it.

Well, it sounds like you're doing great. Thanks. No. I am not a member of the Blacklist, but I am thinking about it. Just curious if placing well in the big contests (not named Nicholl) would translate well into getting an 8 on the Blacklist. Pretty much doing really well in one major contest, I knew that it would at least place in another. But, wasn't sure how Blacklist works.

LOL. Re: your 100 million sci fi thriller. Yeah, I asked a consultant if I should enter my thriller into Nicholl and they dissuaded me from doing so, saying I should write something more "Nicholl," then told me to enter the other more commercial friendly contests. Good advice. I looked at the loglines and realized my story was nowhere along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
            I would be concerned too. Who's the reader doing the eval? KNOW ONE KNOWS!

I tried The Blacklist (website) as another 'test the waters' venture. A script I'd already sold. Low marks, to me, 7s. Didn't Jeff do the same test, same results-is as me? I immediately deleted my account. Beyond that, no idea how it works. They gave me high marks for character (maybe 8-9, hard to remember) but low marks for concept originality, 7. Seriously? There ain't never been a show about this on TV, so? And it already sold, so? And had big showrunners, so? And a name producer, so? Oh and a studio, so?

Meh... fukk all this sh!t. Try to do **** yourself as the main GRIND. See my post today about intros. IOW -- Have your rep hustle, but also have your own hustle.
            I had a similar experience on the site. I threw an old script that was pretty dead up there just to see how it all worked. I paid for one evaluation and received an 8, which led to them offering me two free evals. Great! The next two come in at a 7 and an 8, which leads to two more free evals. Great! The next two come in...

At a 6 and a 5. The written review for the 6 seemed more positive than the score would indicate, so whatever. That reader is just harsh with their numbers, that's fine. The 5 was just a bad review. Got the page count wrong. Listed stuff as strengths (characters, mainly) and then literally named those same characters as weaknesses. It was just pretty contradictory and all over the place. I will say that those two reviews did sink the script on the site. I went from getting a bunch of industry downloads a day to pretty much zero views.

And to your larger point about the site not being the be all end all... while I was waiting for the first eval to come back, I pitched the script in a general. The exec read it after and now it's out to directors. This whole screenwriting thing is so damn subjective. In that way, I think the Black List site is a fairly accurate reflection of the industry. Not everyone is going to champion your script. It's all about finding the people who will.

Comment

So if you get a couple of 8's, do you just stand pat? Why risk anything lower than that? The next one could be a 9, but it could also be a 6 that sinks everything. I'd prefer a recommend system. If the readers find something super special, they just recommend it and pass it along to their contacts. If they want to monetize it, just have a special upcharge for those who want a more expensive notes/coverage and those who do well get sent up.

Comment

finalact4 - I'm not super following where you're at: You used to be repped, fell outta writing for a bit, and now are trying to get repped up again?

If so, that's where I was at last year. Getting repped up a second time was tough. I still don't have an agent, only manager and lawyer. Looking for an agent. Agents are stupid hard these days.
                in 2016 i had a manager. personal life got in the way. manager decides he's producing only. work, weekly travel, and adorable kid took time from writing for two years. writing now full time. have new spec to be out in a month, i think. not the same genre. have a few projects i want to complete this year.

manager got me a killer lawyer, just hoping he still my lawyer. won't contact him till i have a new contract, so that would be forever and a day.

looking for a manager now. it sucks because at one time i had options for two specs (one being the $100 mil) and now crickets. granted, this is "holiday" time for the industry. it's like, it's gonna happen! then it doesn't. sucks.

i never would have written the Tinder Sweet 16 rom-com as it's outside my brand but i couldn't not write it. i loved the concept too much and i hate most rom-coms. ugh.

working on getting in the game-- 'cuz i was close, but not close enough.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

So if you get a couple of 8's, do you just stand pat? Why risk anything lower than that? The next one could be a 9, but it could also be a 6 that sinks everything. I'd prefer a recommend system. If the readers find something super special, they just recommend it and pass it along to their contacts. If they want to monetize it, just have a special upcharge for those who want a more expensive notes/coverage and those who do well get sent up.
                  I think you're probably spot on. Had I not opted for the second set of free evals, I assume I'd still be getting eyes on the script, so if you get a few 8s it's probably best to not risk falling out of that "trending scripts" category. Though I don't know how long you stay trending if you stop getting evals.

I kind of like your recommend system idea. That probably makes the most sense and would also be the most analogous to how the business runs.

Comment

you can for a bit, but once you pass the three month mark, you can't get on the annual list until you have 4 reviews. now, they can be industry reviews, they count, too, but you don't get many.

it doesn't sink you enough to hurt. even if you have two 8s and a 6, or even a 6-7-8, you'll still be above the comm average. and if you get like a 4, you should be able to get it thrown. i don't like the recommend system, personally. it's not as good an indicator, imo, it's a hard line.

look, i'm lucky i got high scores on both specs the first two times out. the reviews are great. but i've gotten lower, too-- it's subjective. both my options found me on The Black List.

i like it for what it is, and will, until i don't. haha.

and remember, and indy pro can read your spec and give you a 5 or an 8, it's just as subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
                      I had a similar experience on the site. I threw an old script that was pretty dead up there just to see how it all worked. I paid for one evaluation and received an 8, which led to them offering me two free evals. Great! The next two come in at a 7 and an 8, which leads to two more free evals. Great! The next two come in...

At a 6 and a 5. The written review for the 6 seemed more positive than the score would indicate, so whatever. That reader is just harsh with their numbers, that's fine. The 5 was just a bad review. Got the page count wrong. Listed stuff as strengths (characters, mainly) and then literally named those same characters as weaknesses. It was just pretty contradictory and all over the place. I will say that those two reviews did sink the script on the site. I went from getting a bunch of industry downloads a day to pretty much zero views.

And to your larger point about the site not being the be all end all... while I was waiting for the first eval to come back, I pitched the script in a general. The exec read it after and now it's out to directors. This whole screenwriting thing is so damn subjective. In that way, I think the Black List site is a fairly accurate reflection of the industry. Not everyone is going to champion your script. It's all about finding the people who will.
                      Exactly that. This industry is 1,000,000% subjective. I don't get why anyone tries to pretend this sh!t is OBJECTIVE. Dude... (whomever) it clearly ain't. Period. No offense. Yet notes are given as if this is objective. Bro... then WHY are the notes contradictory from within your SAME shop. Feel me? Shouldn't these notes at the very least... MATCH? Did you guys not discuss them? Honestly, the fukk I'ma do with this jumbled mess of notes? Weirdos.

(I'll admit something else, because I honestly am DONE with being fake. Played the fake-ass game for 20 years. If my words here cost me a career WHO GIVES A FUKK! I'll do something else.)

As for subjectiveness:

My ex sold a film back in the day (please don't mention her name so I don't get hate mail, I don't need the drama). Guess how many buyers were interested? Answer: 1. That's it. Only one. Everyone else passed. EVERYONE! WHATT???

What film was it... Answer: DEVIL WEARS PRADA. Guess what happened next. It was a gigantic hit. The truth is, the entire town then said "Why didn't we get to see this project?" Bruh, the 100% truth is... you DID see it and you passed. Quit acting fukkin stupid. You're transparent as fukk. Then guess what happened after it was a hit. Yup, exactly! Everyone asked for "The next Devil Wears Prada." Bro... no!... you had your chance with the REAL one. You passed. Remember?

That's how this town works. Buncha pu$$ies. I don't get why these people don't know what they want (save for a few fukking excellent folks). Have a friggin opinion or you're gonna lose valuable properties. It was the exact same with GONE GIRL. Everyone passed except for 1 shop. Seriously... WTF!?

I'm seconds away from being blackballed... but I don't give a sh!t. I'm done lying and covering up for people's stupidity.

I say this sh!t to try to help US WRITERS navigate this utterly dysfunctional industry. Maybe my words help, maybe not.
                      Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 07-20-2019, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Exactly that. This industry is 1,000,000% subjective. I don't get why anyone tries to pretend this sh!t is OBJECTIVE. Dude... (whomever) it clearly ain't. Period. No offense. Yet notes are given as if this is objective. Bro... then WHY are the notes contradictory from within your SAME shop. Feel me? Shouldn't these notes at the very least... MATCH? Did you guys not discuss them? Honestly, the fukk I'ma do with this jumbled mess of notes? Weirdos.

(I'll admit something else, because I honestly am DONE with being fake. Played the fake-ass game for 20 years. If my words here cost me a career WHO GIVES A FUKK! I'll do something else.)

As for subjectiveness:

My ex sold a film back in the day (please don't mention her name so I don't get hate mail, I don't need the drama). Guess how many buyers were interested? Answer: 1. That's it. Only one. Everyone else passed. EVERYONE! WHATT???

What film was it... Answer: DEVIL WEARS PRADA. Guess what happened next. It was a gigantic hit. The truth is, the entire town then said "Why didn't we get to see this project?" Bruh, the 100% truth is... you DID see it and you passed. Quit acting fukkin stupid. You're transparent as fukk. Then guess what happened after it was a hit. Yup, exactly! Everyone asked for "The next Devil Wears Prada." Bro... no!... you had your chance with the REAL one. You passed. Remember?

That's how this town works. Buncha pu$$ies. I don't get why these people don't know what they want (save for a few fukking excellent folks). Have a friggin opinion or you're gonna lose valuable properties. It was the exact same with GONE GIRL. Everyone passed except for 1 shop. Seriously... WTF!?

I'm seconds away from being blackballed... but I don't give a sh!t. I'm done lying and covering up for people's stupidity.

I say this sh!t to try to help US WRITERS navigate this utterly dysfunctional industry. Maybe my words help, maybe not.

Each script is carefully calibrated and measured in a distraction free environment, where all factors like voice, premise and characters are scientifically evaluated so that it's a fair process.

Just kidding.

Comment

you can for a bit, but once you pass the three month mark, you can't get on the annual list until you have 4 reviews. now, they can be industry reviews, they count, too, but you don't get many.

it doesn't sink you enough to hurt. even if you have two 8s and a 6, or even a 6-7-8, you'll still be above the comm average. and if you get like a 4, you should be able to get it thrown. i don't like the recommend system, personally. it's not as good an indicator, imo, it's a hard line.

look, i'm lucky i got high scores on both specs the first two times out. the reviews are great. but i've gotten lower, too-- it's subjective. both my options found me on The Black List.

i like it for what it is, and will, until i don't. haha.

and remember, and indy pro can read your spec and give you a 5 or an 8, it's just as subjective.

Cool. Nice to take a peek into the process. I don't think I can get five straight 8's without someone throwing a monkeywrench 6 in there, hence I'd thought of the recommend system.

Comment

Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
                            I think you're probably spot on. Had I not opted for the second set of free evals, I assume I'd still be getting eyes on the script, so if you get a few 8s it's probably best to not risk falling out of that "trending scripts" category. Though I don't know how long you stay trending if you stop getting evals.

I kind of like your recommend system idea. That probably makes the most sense and would also be the most analogous to how the business runs.

It's kind of like gambling. Yeah, you might be able to get 5 straight 8's....but the risk of getting that 6 that takes some bloom off that rose is high. As writers, all we care about is getting the script into the right hands and exposure. We don't care about getting consensus from a half dozen readers, who might be under pressure to read a ton of scripts while working on their own. Plus, certain material is polarizing. Tarantino's manager used to get hate from producers telling her why would she send her this "fi'ing piece of sh-... here's your f'ing piece of back. f' you." The guys who wrote While you were sleeping were told it was creepy. And a ton of people passed on Back to the future.

Comment

Each script is carefully calibrated and measured in a distraction free environment, where all factors like voice, premise and characters are scientifically evaluated so that it's a fair process.

Just kidding.
                              HA! Funny bruh!

Comment

in 2016 i had a manager. personal life got in the way. manager decides he's producing only. work, weekly travel, and adorable kid took time from writing for two years. writing now full time. have new spec to be out in a month, i think. not the same genre. have a few projects i want to complete this year.

manager got me a killer lawyer, just hoping he still my lawyer. won't contact him till i have a new contract, so that would be forever and a day.

looking for a manager now. it sucks because at one time i had options for two specs (one being the $100 mil) and now crickets. granted, this is "holiday" time for the industry. it's like, it's gonna happen! then it doesn't. sucks.

i never would have written the Tinder Sweet 16 rom-com as it's outside my brand but i couldn't not write it. i loved the concept too much and i hate most rom-coms. ugh.

working on getting in the game-- 'cuz i was close, but not close enough.
                                Gotcha...

I'm kinda doing the same thing. I'm repped now (manager/lawyer... agentless) but I got repped off my 90 mil sci-fi then flipped the script (literally) and wrote a TV show based on... gulp... my own life. Autobiographical. This is a *never do that* scenario, but I've lived a crazy fukkin life AND there's a social relevance aspect. My writer/director buddy pushed me into writing it. If it doesn't sell he's getting his ass kicked. LOL

Thanks for sharing your situation! Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X