No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Residuals???

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    What I always wondered, who is in charge of residuals? I hear people get checks for 3 cents for old movies they worked on... but as I imagine the man hours to do all that work, track all those people down, I don't get who does it.

If I made in indie movie who is in charge of residuals? The buyer? The studio? Do all movies have residuals?

It's a topic I never heard discussed before other than when a few people mention how much they got for old projects.
    I get residuals on a couple of dozen films and a 6 year run in a TV series, including indie films.... Now, I was an actor in all of them, as a writer, I haven't gotten any because all the films were Non-union. I have gotten residuals in films I wrote AND acted in, but just for acting.

I once got a check for .01 for, I think, the movie "Jack", and I called my agent and told her I'd cut her a check for .001. We laughed. She was a long time agent who I asked how they determine residuals and she answered, "Beats the hell out of me."

They average about $15 bucks and come twice a year... and then once in a while one will come for $700 with no explanation. I just cash them.

Comment

I get residuals on a few things, and it's always a crap shoot. When that green envelope arrives, you think "What amount will this be? A mortgage payment? A car payment? A nice dinner out? A so-so dinner out? A snickers bar?"

You never know. Sometimes it's 2k, sometimes it's a few bucks. But there's a breakdown on the form of where it came from; streaming, or a basic cable rerun, etc.
      https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
        But there's a breakdown on the form of where it came from; streaming, or a basic cable rerun, etc.
        Who is actually sending these to you and to you too EdFury/aka Bob? As I noted earlier in the thread from what I've understood, I'm figuring it's a payroll company of some sort that should be tracking all this? And/or even a distributor's accounting department. Right?

I think that is part of the big question in this thread.

Granted indie vs. studio can be two different worlds, but in case anyone reading these posts wants to read more, this is an entire page on the WGA site about residuals and here in particular about residual checks: https://www.wga.org/members/finances...vival-guide#25
        Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 07-13-2019, 10:17 AM.
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Does anyone know how residuals work on a non-WGA project? I had a film released last year that was financed by a legitimate indie company but that didn't get me into the guild (that's a whole other conversation...). The link above gives a lot of good information but it appears that all residuals are tracked/go through the guild... so who keeps track of residuals if the writer is not in the guild?

I've never really been able to wrap my head around how this all works and am sort of just assuming that if I ever see any for this movie, it'll be a pleasant surprise. But if anyone does know, I'd sure be interested to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
            Does anyone know how residuals work on a non-WGA project? I had a film released last year that was financed by a legitimate indie company but that didn't get me into the guild (that's a whole other conversation...). The link above gives a lot of good information but it appears that all residuals are tracked/go through the guild... so who keeps track of residuals if the writer is not in the guild?

I've never really been able to wrap my head around how this all works and am sort of just assuming that if I ever see any for this movie, it'll be a pleasant surprise. But if anyone does know, I'd sure be interested to hear.
            Unless your contract specifically specified residuals and how they would be calculated, you aren't getting any. There are no automatic residuals for non union projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
              Who is actually sending these to you and to you too EdFury/aka Bob? As I noted earlier in the thread from what I've understood, I'm figuring it's a payroll company of some sort that should be tracking all this? And/or even a distributor's accounting department. Right?

I think that is part of the big question in this thread.

Granted indie vs. studio can be two different worlds, but in case anyone reading these posts wants to read more, this is an entire page on the WGA site about residuals and here in particular about residual checks: https://www.wga.org/members/finances...vival-guide#25
              The last two checks I got were from Warners & Fox. I have no idea how they calculate them. Total of both together was about $25.

Comment

You don't. It's non-union so "you" are not covered by the WGA or any other guild depending on your position (SAG, DGA). If it's not in your contract to get some type of profit participation, you'll surely never see anything. They may be a legit company, but they legitimately don't have to pay you anything but the one time fee.

There are various articles out there on this. Here's one tidbit to save me some typing time, "One of the biggest benefits for WGA writers is the ability to receive residuals. For example, Dylan Gary, who was a staff writer for the HBO show 'Tell Me You Love Me,' would receive (small) checks in the mail because an episode of his had been aired in Argentina. Without WGA membership, he would not have the power to earn further payment for the distribution of his work."

Now, if someone working as a non-union writer can offer something different, then great. But my wife has written for a legitimate enough company and her movies have shown on TV. She will never see another dime other than her paycheck for writing the scripts.
                Will
                Done Deal Pro
                www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                  The last two checks I got were from Warners & Fox. I have no idea how they calculate them. Total of both together was about $25.
                  And just out of curiosity and more importantly to help others, were these for your films their home video departments distributed? Yes? Thus, they had to pay something. And along with that, did you wisely work into your contract that you got some residuals or really profit sharing?
                  Will
                  Done Deal Pro
                  www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses, guys. I did have contingent compensation specifics in the contract. Percentage of the net profit. But I suppose that's different from residuals, which is tied more directly to re-airing, streaming, etc?

Appreciate the info!

Comment

Off topic kinda, but...

I'm also with ASCAP for music. In that world guess who keeps track of which of your music has been played where and how many times... Answer: YOU! They claim to be on top of it, but they ain't.

I still don't 'get' film residuals and how it's calculated/distributed. But it's nice to know that some of you are receiving random checks totaling enough to cover a taco and a beer. Salud!
                      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I read somewhere that percentages on "net" profit for screenwriting was a dubious gesture as productions turn no profits even though they rake in money due to clever accounting, and the way studios lend money to themselves and pay back themselves with interest.

Basically the article said to get a good entertainment lawyer to make sure you're not screwed on the fine print.

"So while net points are essentially meaningless on almost every project"

https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/r...d-ee6fc8fc30d5

Any experience on the issues in this article?

Comment

I've definitely heard similar things. Then I've also heard from writers who get a decent check in the mail every now and then (like a few in this thread). I feel like if I gathered everything I've heard on the subject, it'd range a pretty wide spectrum. Which is why I've never had the greatest grasp on how this specific part of the deal works.

Comment

I've definitely heard similar things. Then I've also heard from writers who get a decent check in the mail every now and then (like a few in this thread). I feel like if I gathered everything I've heard on the subject, it'd range a pretty wide spectrum. Which is why I've never had the greatest grasp on how this specific part of the deal works.
                            The writers you heard from were getting residuals. No writer ever got paid from net backend ever. That's a way producers use to pay you less up front. I've learned my lesson on that. Pay me now, thank you because there are NEVER net profits due to creative accounting.

Comment

The writers you heard from were getting residuals. No writer ever got paid from net backend ever. That's a way producers use to pay you less up front. I've learned my lesson on that. Pay me now, thank you because there are NEVER net profits due to creative accounting.
                              Gotcha. Very good to know.

Thanks for the explanations, all!

Comment

Ha! True.

But, they have gotten bonuses. I think our commission on said bonus was like 60k. Man, those were the days...
                                Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Working...
                                X