X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directors Make Deal

Details to follow...

[Variety]
    Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Re: Directors Make Deal

Quick quick quick, somebody who knows something look at the deal outline
    and tell us if it's something the writers will like!!

So, so many people are hoping desperately.

Comment

Looks like nice headline figures, but big gaps before they kick in. 17 days "Promotional Use" before they have to pay a cent and the increase on online sell through doesn't kick in until they reach 100.000 units.

I'd guess maybe 80% of downloads will be during that 17 day window, and they pay nothing.

I think it's designed to be full of nice headline figures to try to get lots of writers to say "We can take a deal like that! Settle!" without looking closely.

No mention of DVD residuals?

Comment

You and a million others!

http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Shari Hari View Post
          Quick quick quick, somebody who knows something look at the deal outline
          and tell us if it's something the writers will like!!

So, so many people are hoping desperately.
          At first glance, this is better than what studios were offering WGA, and far far far below what WGA was asking for and needs. Porgress was made on jurisdiction, distributor's gross, and non-precendet nature of deal, but basically, it is peanuts as it relates to getting paid for online payments.

But I'm no expert, so I could be wrong...
          Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Bobmartin, I hadn't seen you comments before I posted, and I know where you're comming from. I think it will come down to how this deal is percieved over the next day or so.
            If everyone accepts the headline figures and doesn't cheack the fine print then the public mood could swing from supporting the WGA to "That's a fair deal, take it!" and the pressure will be on the writers.
            If the 17 day, 24 day for first seasons, window gets publicity and people who know the figures work out just how much would be lost in that time speak up and get heard then the WGA should fight on.

Does JK Rowling have to wait 17 days before she starts getting royalties? Does Paul McCartney?
            The studios make money straight away, why shouldn't the writers?

Comment

It's a big step in the right direction.

Comment

At first glance, the deal looks sweet enough to put real pressure on the WGA.
                Whereas the earlier offers were completely unacceptable, this one still sucks, but it sucks much less.

It will be tough for the Guild leadership to hold out now.

The AMPTP could have made these concessions months ago. I suppose they wanted to punish the writers for militancy and clear out the deadwood with force majeure.

Here's to speedy resolution and everyone getting back to work.
                If you really like it you can have the rights
                It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Originally posted by zz9 View Post
                  Does JK Rowling have to wait 17 days before she starts getting royalties? Does Paul McCartney?
                  The studios make money straight away, why shouldn't the writers?
                  I think there's a difference with TV. Writer's already get paid for the initial showing of the episode, and then often a second smaller payment when it's re-run once during the course of the year.

With new technology I don't watch first-run episodes when they come on. I Tivo them and watch in the next week or so, depending on how much I like the show. In the future instead of Tivoing I might just go and stream the epsiode. The viewings in those first two weeks then leach off the viewings of the first-run episode since I otherwise would have made a stronger effort to be around to watch it.
                  Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Hmm....

"If the WGA rejects the basic concepts of a DGA deal, there's going to be a great deal of dissatisfaction among the membership," said Dick Wolf, creator and executive producer of the "Law & Order" franchise. "The bottom line here is: This town should be back to work in three weeks."

Jerry Bruckheimer, one of Hollywood's biggest movie and TV producers, echoed the sentiments. "I think there is enormous pressure on everybody to settle this and move on," said Bruckheimer, whose TV shows -- including the "CSI" franchise, "Without a Trace" and "Cold Case" -- halted production because of the strike.
                    If you really like it you can have the rights
                    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

So when the latest episode of Heroes or Sarah Connor goes online how many people will watch in the first 17 days? And how many will be downloading after 17 days?
                      0.7% of nothing is, wait, let me do the math....

And that's not even mentioning that this 0.7% is in effect replacing the network 2.5%

I think this deal both sucks and blows.

But I can see public opinion pushing the WGA to go along with it.
                      Last edited by zz9; 01-18-2008, 05:33 AM. Reason: Edited because streaming is not downloading.

Comment

Originally posted by zz9 View Post
                        So when the latest episode of Heroes or Sarah Connor goes online how many people will download in the first 17 days? And how many will be downloading after 17 days?
                        0.7% of nothing is, wait, let me do the math....

And that's not even mentioning that this 0.7% is in effect replacing the network 2.5%

I think this deal both sucks and blows.

But I can see public opinion pushing the WGA to go along with it.
                        the 17 day window (24 for 1st season shows) applies to streaming, not downloads.

Comment

I believe this was the deal in Leyla Milani's case.
                          RIP Lew Gastoni.

Comment

The problem is, the DGA membership is mostly crew people who don't care about residuals.

WGA and SAG members do care about residuals.

This whole thing seems like a rerun of the video deal the DGA set up during the last strike... which WGA agreed to... and now everyone thinks sucks because video ended up being the future.

We all know internet is the future. We're soaking in it.

Why make the same mistake twice?

- Bill
                            Free Script Tips:
                            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

So far, at United Hollywood, the general consensus on first blush is that this is a good deal for directors, for writers...not so much.
                              http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X