No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is driving me crazy!!!

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
    I am now finding your posts goofily amusing.

10K pdfs /day is >20/minute every minute for 8-hours!!!
    I'm finding your strange change in attitude goofily amusing, but I'll try not to hold it against you.

I don't make exactly 10,000 per day. I was just rounding it up from about 30, but nevertheless, I create a lot. That was the point I was making. Please don't use so many exclamation marks, it looks ridiculous.

I don't know what to tell you about Nitro, I keep error messages when tyring to print to pdf using it.

I've read every word of comicbents extremely detailed answer. I have tried everything. I'm not Bill Gates, but I can find my way around it and I just cant get it to work.

I'm convinced this is some strange bug of Windows 8, 64 bt machines, but what do I know?

Asjah, I tried your suggestion, unfortunately it didn't work, but it was a good try.

Jonjay, I didn't mean to give the impression that it was a looming deadline (although I do have them too), but I'm a writer and I need this important function available to me at all times. I'm crippled without it. I can always open up my old laptop in an emergency and do it from there, but that is a hassle, especially if I'm working away from home that I do frequently.

I never said him or his offer was pointless. But the act of sending him 30 documents a day to pdf for me would be pointless.

However, ComicBent, you're the man. I finally got it to work based on your suggestions elsewhere on this forum. Primopdf. It worked flawlessly.

I never downloaded it because, as you said, I already had Nitro (made by the same company) but I downloaded Primo out of desperation and it worked after changing it to 'letter' (like I did with the other virtual printers).

So I can't get my head around this. I don't know why that's working and the others aren't, but it does.

So thanks to everyone, including you Manchester.

On a kind of separate note, I have noticed that the font is lighter in color with Primo pdfs, compared to the darker color I usually see. Certainly no big deal since at least I can print them off in the page size I need, but it wouldn't hurt to have them darker if anyone knows the answer.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

On a kind of separate note, I have noticed that the font is lighter in color with Primo pdfs.
      1. First, after you create a PDF with PrimoPDF, check the PDF to see if the proper font was embedded in the PDF. In most PDF viewers, you can check that under FILE |Document Properties.

You should see something like *Embedded subset* or just *Embedded* at least. If you do not see *Embedded*, then your PDF does not include the font that you used in your original document. I know that PrimoPDF embeds fonts, and I think it does so automatically, but if you do not see the word *Embedded*, then you will have to poke around in PrimoPDF and find a setting.

Whenever I hear something like "the font is too light," I immediately think Courier New or Courier Type 1 (the latter is the font that gets substituted when the correct Courier is NOT embedded).

2. The lighter font may just be the way it looks on screen; the file may print with normal darkness. Again, this may be because the proper font did not get embedded.

I have not noticed any problem with the font appearance after using PrimoPDF.

3. You might be interested in the FREE PDF-XChange viewer. It is smaller than the Adobe reader, and it works great. I suspect that you are using the Nitro reader right now, since you have the Nitro product. It is possible to use any PDF reader that you want in order to view/print a PDF; you can still use PrimoPDF or the Nitro program for creating your PDF files. I use the PDF-XChange viewer as my default viewer. The PDF-XChange viewer seems to display a bit darker and to print just slightly darker. (I also have the Nitro viewer on my computer, but I have never used it, since I really love the PDF-XChange program.)

Thank you for letting us know about your success with the PrimoPDF program.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Okay, as an experiment, I downloaded the most recent version of the Nitro PDF viewer.

I created two PDF files from within Final Draft 8, by using:

(1) PDF-XChange Pro
        (2) PrimoPDF

The used font was Courier Final Draft.

I viewed both PDF files from within the PDF-XChange viewer and the Nitro PDF viewer.

They were identical. Both had a crisp, dark font. I checked the properties of the PDF files. Both had an embedded subset of Courier Final Draft.

So I do not think the "light font" problem has anything to do with PrimoPDF.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Just wanted to add that, when you use PrimoPDF, I advise choosing the PREPRESS option where it says something like READ ... PRINT ... PREPRESS.

I doubt that this would cause the "light font" but I don't know for sure.

PREPRESS is the highest-quality PDF. The file size is still quite small.

Comment

Hey Comic Bent

I just use the usual Adobe Reader to read pdfs, despite the fact that I have Nitro.

As a test I did view the pdf (printed through Primo) with the Nitro viewer, and you're right, it does appear to be the same color as other pdfs I have used in the past. So I guess maybe for 'some' reason Adobe Reader is jsut showing it as a lighter font.

But I discovered something a bit weird. After I open up one of my pdfs with the lighter colored font, I print the pdf again, through the pdf itself (print file button) and it creates a copy of itself, and the font is not light any more. It's now the correct darker color. Does that make sense?

It's weird, I don't understand it.

(btw, I tried the prepress thing, and other options, but none made a difference).

Comment

I don't know why that happens, but at least you got things worked out so that you can print things correctly.

Post here or send an email to me if you have any further issues with this.

Best ...

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X