Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slugs and locations

Hello there. Recently joined the forum as I've heard you're a sage lot...

I have a screenplay in which the majority of the action takes place in a generic big city. Thus in the slugs I simply refer to 'EXT. BUSINESS DISTRICT - LATE MORNING' etc...

However the first scene currently takes place in Slovakia. Now, there's no real reason it needs to be set in Slovakia (it just needs to be somewhere in Eastern Europe), so would it be clearer/more consistent to drop the exact location from the slug and simply insert a SUPER: "Somewhere in Eastern Europe"?

Mixing real and generic places feels like a bit of a no-no.

Secondly, at the end of this first scene we then shift to the generic city for the rest of the screenplay.

The second scene currently starts:

EXT. DOWNTOWN - MID-MORNING

A modern cityscape.

Throngs of people march through the streets. Pumping fists. They chant in unison.

Do people think that's explicit enough to differentiate from a rural scene in Eastern Europe?

Cheers

Re: Slugs and locations

I wouldn't use 'somewhere ....' since there are big enough differences between say, Romania and Slovakia. Maybe at least pick a country or region, and use some sort of 'signpost' that can be substituted if that exact country/location isn't avail, or the specific language isn't needed. I get this is a rural location?

What about ...

EXT. RURAL COUNTRYSIDE - DAY

Rolling hills, the Slovakian River Váh in the distance. Blah, blah ....

This is a landlocked country, and can be subed with it's neighbor to the north or south since they are regionaly similar.

I think DOWNTOWN is okay since you follow it with what would be seen in a big city as opposed to a small town's downtown, but to extra clear, maybe say

EXT. BIG CITY DOWNTOWN ....

or

EXT. METROPOLIS - DAY

A busy downtown moring ....

a

Comment

Thanks alex, that does seem clearer.

And yes you're right, I'd like to put readers into a specific type of Eastern European countryside (semi-remote, but a different feel from say, the English countryside).

The first scene (in Slovakia/wherever) doesn't have any dialogue so I need to make it as clear as possible that we are somewhere different.

Comment

Is the whole story taking place in Europe? "countryside" should at least be in a certain country. Is it before or after the breakup of the Soviet Union? Protesting in the streets wasn't allowed while the CIS and NIS were under Soviet control.
        I got to visit 15 of the NIS and CIS between 1991 and 1995, plus be one of the first Ameicans that the Albanians had seen in 50 years. I fell in love with the Baltics; beautiful countryside and georgeous women, plus the fantastic 17th century buildings and cobblestone streets.
        It would really depend on what the populace was protesting which country I would use.

Comment

@Butch

The first scene takes place in Europe (a Slovakian-type countryside), whereas the rest of the script is set in a nameless but 'American' city.

The protest is against an election candidate

Comment

I would put the country in the slug.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
              I would put the country in the slug.
              SUPER underneath?

Comment

My instinct is to do exactly what BattleDolphinZero said. Just use the name of the country in the Scene Heading. In my opinion, this is the most efficient way to handle the situation.

But why are you using a specific country at all? Is it ever established that this first scene is in Slovakia? Is there any kind of reference to Slovakia at all later in the script? You said that it could be anywhere in Eastern Europe. If your script works with the first scene being somewhere generic like Eastern Europe, why not just use EAST EUROPEAN COUNTRY or something like that? In a way, this is like giving a name to a waiter who never says anything, is never addressed by name, but just comes into the scene and pours the wine. Why give the name PAUL to the waiter when it never matters?

Of course, if someone refers to Slovakia later in the script, then I see no problem with just using that particular country. Again, it is like the waiter named Paul.

As for a super, it depends on whether the first scene really needs it. If you are just trying to establish that the scene is in Eastern Europe or Slovakia specifically, then can you do that without the super? If so, leave it out. But if you need it, use it.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Thanks all. Slovakia isn't referred to at any other point in the script, so no need to be specific I guess.

Think I'll go with something like...

FADE IN

EXT. EASTERN EUROPEAN COUNTRYSIDE - DAY

Crop fields wilt. Trees shrug and wither.

The local greenery parched from too much Balkan sun.

A battered car CREAKS down a dirt road, blah, blah...

Comment

I went to the eastern European countryside on vacation once.
                    "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                    - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

I know what you did that EECV....

Comment

In terms of the US location, I think it's always a good idea to pick a city, unless you're inventing your own... but that's a specific choice too.

Comment

The script is an action thriller, with a few set pieces/focal points that aren't currently dependant on landmarks or city specifics.

Perhaps they should be - I'll try it out and see if it feels like the scenes have more gravitas. Last thing I want is for it to feel 'vague'.

Comment

Or generic. I always know what city Bourne or Bond are in...

Comment

Working...
                            X