This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

Look, I don't mean to be anarchic. I like this place. And I like the mods. A lot of the time you find that moderators abuse their power. That doesn't happen here. There's a healthy dose of tolerance and common sense on show.

But closing down that Scriptshadow thread was wrong. I understand if a thread is starting to wind down (and the beginning signs were there), but check out the last post before it was closed down.

Not only was it from a new member who wouldn't exactly appreciate putting effort into a long post just to have the thread closed, but it was packed with fun stuff. And from an IDOL SURVIVOR no less.

You can't have such an interesting post crop up and then have the next post be a generic 'This has run its course' response. It hadn't.

And unless the mods had deleted numerous abusive messages prior to that (and I suspect they didn't), it came across as a strange decision. And I say that at the risk of attracting the ire of the mods (one of whom is one of my favorite DD'ers- You know who you are) but this hadn't run its course.

Especially if you check out the SS comments section which has now hit 345. And, for all Carson's faults, he won't suddenly shut down the comments thread (unless it's to try and cover up a 'mistake' on his part of course).

And having read the comments on SS, I'm of the opinion- GO CARSON! (and no I still don't like his business practices).

Especially when one SS devotee stated the reason for the change was that Pro-writers were 'pussies' who deserved it for not 'writing better scripts'. Entirely missing the point that it was the reviewing of early drafts that was the problem.

Or how about the poster who said John August had a plan to keep amateurs out so he could keep the best assignments to himself, conveniently missing the fact that August has been helping writers for years through website and podcast (along with Mr. Mazin of course).

And that's nothing compared to the references to NAzis, Terrorists and car bombs directed at any anti-SS posts.

So I say- GO CARSON!

My problem with him was both his reviews of scripts in stages of production or early drafts and his extortionate coverage fees. If he removes the former- As he promises to do- I say go nuts with the latter. Fleece them for everything they've got. Be a shinning beacon for the desperate masses.

Sounds harsh? Honestly. Read through those 345 comments. A vast chunk of them come across as pretty loathsome people. It's packed with the kind of aggressive, sycophantic nonsense you'd hear chanted five seconds before everyone downed the Kool-aid. It's pack mentality cultism at its worse.

It's sort of where you watch a documentary about some hustle- A group of marks enticed by free gifts into a time share meeting- And you kind of think, if you fell for that, maybe you deserve to part with your money.

It's just a shame that some innocent writers who just want help might get caught up in it, but to be honest, from what I see in those SS comments, the archetypal SS acolyte deserves to be fleeced for all that they have.

I ended up disliking them WAY more than Carson.

And assuming this thread still exists at a later date and isn't deleted, I invite ChazzChristopher to repost. It's not that I necessarily agree with him, but to close that thread out from under him was a little rude to a new member.
    Last edited by Harbinger; 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM.

Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

I am a bear of very little brain - where are the crazy 345 comments? I have ten minutes to kill whilst a pizza cooks.

Cheers,

JJ
    My stuff

Comment

http://scriptshadow.net/changing-gears/

And it's now 352. Some are perfectly civil. Some anti some pro SS. And some just wildly fly off the deep end because they're deprived of their scripts!

Take a deep breath before you dive in!

Comment

Much appreciated.
        JJ
        My stuff

Comment

I took a gander at the comments yesterday. SS is definitely its own strange little world now. If you look closely you will see that most of his supporters start with, "I've only been on this site for a few months" or "I've only just started screenwriting" or something to that effect. That says A LOT...

Comment

I agree, if a thread should be closed it should be the dozens of BL threads.

You make good points Harbinger.

One person had a good idea, send out the scripts but don't review them. Everyone is happy.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
              I took a gander at the comments yesterday. SS is definitely its own strange little world now. If you look closely you will see that most of his supporters start with, "I've only been on this site for a few months" or "I've only just started screenwriting" or something to that effect. That says A LOT...
              I noticed that. It's almost like it's the stomping ground of the newbie. Like 80% seem to be either new to screenwriting or new to the site.

There's also the occasional anti-DD sentiment thrown in there every now and then. Like DD and SS has turned into Sharks and Jets.

Only slightly more camp.

To be honest, I'm sort of glad they're over there in their little world. Last thing we need on DD is their kind. Goddamn greasers with their flick combs.

On a more serious note, I sort of do find it disturbing about how devoted they are. It really does border on cultism at times. Very strange!

VIVA DDP!

Comment

I'm about half-way through - my main reaction to the posts has been 'What a cult.'

Least something like that.
                My stuff

Comment

I go away for a couple of hours and miss all the fun.
                  http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jay View Post
                    I'm about half-way through - my main reaction to the posts has been 'What a cult.'

Least something like that.
                    Yep. Except one of those letters is two places too far left. I get ya. Check out this one.

It's not good for John August to have more competition. He doesn't want the guy in Iowa to write a great script and he damn sure doesn't want that guy to have access to the same producers to whom he's trying to sell scripts.
                    That one is a doozy! Can I make a plea that no-one EVER link DDP on SS! Let them stay over there. Otherwise, this place goes rapidly downhill.

I know that sounds elitist. I just mean there's a whole maelstrom of bad attitude over there. We don't want it here.
                    Last edited by Harbinger; 01-10-2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                      A vast chunk of them come across as pretty loathsome people.
                      I used to be a regular there, and enjoyed the community a lot - and I learnt from it. But like some of the other regulars, I didn't like the direction Carson was taking, so I joined the growing chorus and said my piece. Nothing changed, so I moved on. No hard feelings, and I'd still happily buy Carson a beer.

But I jumped back in to the discussion yesterday, and was surprised at the level of conversation. Took a couple of pathetically melodramatic hits myself (I stabbed Carson in the back apparently), which to the community's credit, were slapped down pretty quickly.

I still don't think Carson gets it just yet, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - I just don't think I'll be jumping back into the 'community' any time soon: the smart folk seem to have left the building, and all that's left are the angry fanboys sadly.

Comment

That's also the other reason I think the thread needs to stay open. Common sense is taking a battering on SS with some of the members. And anyone who speaks out, either gets shouted down by lunatics or their post seems to drop down the pecking order (maybe because that rating system allows the pack mentality to push anti-SS posts down- Not sure on that one).

This is the outpost of reason. We can vent here. Unlike there, here we can have rational and- what is more important- informed debate. If we don't have that here, the lunatics start running the asylum!

Comment

Originally posted by karlosd View Post
                          I used to be a regular there, and enjoyed the community a lot - and I learnt from it. But like some of the other regulars, I didn't like the direction Carson was taking, so I joined the growing chorus and said my piece. Nothing changed, so I moved on. No hard feelings, and I'd still happily buy Carson a beer.

But I jumped back in to the discussion yesterday, and was surprised at the level of conversation. Took a couple of pathetically melodramatic hits myself (I stabbed Carson in the back apparently), which to the community's credit, were slapped down pretty quickly.

I still don't think Carson gets it just yet, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - I just don't think I'll be jumping back into the 'community' any time soon: the smart folk seem to have left the building, and all that's left are the angry fanboys sadly.
                          I saw you on there taking a few hits. And you're right, a few jumped to your defense. But only once the pro-SSer had become particularly vitriolic.

As to the exodus, same thing happened with IMDB STW. Just too many trolls under that bridge in the end.

Comment

It seems that what really happened is that someone finally got through to Chris and convinved him that he can't build a career out of selling something that doesn't belong to him, that the stakes will become too high and the potential fall too far. Everything else is spin.

Comment

Not that I don't want to be optimistic still about this, but I realized talking with someone yesterday about it that Carson has essentially stopped the practice which was going to get him sued. By not reviewing or passing out in development scripts, only amateur and produced, he'll probably never face the wrath of a studio like he was on the path to.

Essentially, if this is good, it means he'll be free to help amateur writers break in, once he figures out how to do that. At the very least give them good advice while they break in on their own.

If it's bad though, which some of his mentions of developing material with writers make me feel like it might be, it essentially just means there's no chance he'll get shut down by the powers that be. I think the producing aspect will go nowhere since studios won't deal with him, but he'll keep on charging ridiculous amounts of money to 'develop' properties and take advantage of new potential writers.

I'm a positive guy, so I hope this works out as a new way for people to break in. But my spider sense is tingling.
                              @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X