I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Last edited by CJ Walley; 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM.
    Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
      Would that get rid of the negative score? :S
      If you delete the hosting completely yes. And you can just re-upload the script with the same details. There's no good reason to keep a script hosted if your first score is below the uploaded average and you intend to re-review.

Also, while it may feel like it, technically a five isn't a negative score, you actually can't get a negative overall score on BL as it's the likelihood that reader would pass the script upwards, so a five would put them as a yes/no.
      Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Let's not get too crazy. 5 is not a negative score.

Use whatever comments to improve your script. Discard the rest.

Comment

Isn't there a chance I might get the same reviewer that way? I'm annoyed I accidentally gave him a three star rating than a 2. The complaints he made were minor so it just baffles me why it's a 5. Some of it seemed to go over his head.

Nothing against BL, I just hate the opinions of the derps that get hired as readers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
            Let's not get too crazy. 5 is not a negative score.

Use whatever comments to improve your script. Discard the rest.
            In terms of the Blacklist though, it's a useless score. I suspended hosting for my script, which got an overall 6 and one component score of 7. I didn't think those were bad scores at all. (in fact, considering the relatively short time I've been writing screenplays, I was quite pleased with them).

But realistically, if the scores aren't high enough to make the emails, the script might as well not even be listed, such is the likelihood that it would be found and read.

Comment

It might be ego but for me personally anything below 7 I would have saw as bad.

He said it was very slow paced. 1) Intentional 2) It isn't THAT slow 3) Since when is a slow film a bad film?

Then he basically wants me to add more exposition. But wouldn't that just slow it down more? I could take some things out of the review but most of it is contradictory.

Comment

Isn't there a chance I might get the same reviewer that way? I'm annoyed I accidentally gave him a three star rating than a 2. The complaints he made were minor so it just baffles me why it's a 5. Some of it seemed to go over his head.

Nothing against BL, I just hate the opinions of the derps that get hired as readers.
                You shouldn't the BL readers have to specify they haven't read the script before or are familiar with the author before they start their review.

Comment

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
                  In terms of the Blacklist though, it's a useless score. I suspended hosting for my script, which got an overall 6 and one component score of 7. I didn't think those were bad scores at all. (in fact, considering the relatively short time I've been writing screenplays, I was quite pleased with them).

But realistically, if the scores aren't high enough to make the emails, the script might as well not even be listed, such is the likelihood that it would be found and read.
                  True, but that's less in terms of BL and more in terms of what the industry wants it seems. Eights are only emailed out because standard variation suggests they may be a nine.

Comment

It might be ego but for me personally anything below 7 I would have saw as bad.

He said it was very slow paced. 1) Intentional 2) It isn't THAT slow 3) Since when is a slow film a bad film?

Then he basically wants me to add more exposition. But wouldn't that just slow it down more? I could take some things out of the review but most of it is contradictory.
                    It reads to me like you really need to get a second review.

Comment

Originally posted by thestuart View Post
                      True, but that's less in terms of BL and more in terms of what the industry wants it seems. Eights are only emailed out because standard variation suggests they may be a nine.
                      I don't have any issue with that per se, I'm just talking in terms of keeping a script on the BL. Why spend $25 a month hosting a script that no one is going to read?

Comment

I don't have any issue with that per se, I'm just talking in terms of keeping a script on the BL. Why spend $25 a month hosting a script that no one is going to read?
                        I guess it comes down to how much you value those recommendation lists, as they'd be your only hope, but ultimately I'm with you.

Comment

It reads to me like you really need to get a second review.
                          But I don't want to have to shell another $50 to hope it balances out. I don't want top be suckered in to paying for positive press.

Comment

considering the relatively short time I've been writing screenplays, I was quite pleased with them
                            BTW I'm in the same boat as you it seems. I'm very new to this and using BL to get that reality check and see if this is something I can do. Plus the coverage is kind of like getting feedback notes, so I'm finding it good practice to re-write and re-review.

Comment

But I don't want to have to shell another $50 to hope it balances out. I don't want top be suckered in to paying for positive press.
                              Why do you feel you'd be getting suckered in?

You paid for one readers opinion, you got it, they clearly didn't connect with the script, there's a chance it just wasn't aligned to their taste.

Another review wouldn't be balancing anything out, it would just be getting another opinion, hopefully with someone who'll appreciate it more.

There are people who've gotten nines on their first review, there's nothing sinister going on.

Comment

Why do you feel you'd be getting suckered in?

You paid for one readers opinion, you got it, they clearly didn't connect with the script, there's a chance it just wasn't aligned to their taste.

Another review wouldn't be balancing anything out, it would just be getting another opinion, hopefully with someone who'll appreciate it more.

There are people who've gotten nines on their first review, there's nothing sinister going on.
                                Not saying there'll be anything sinister, I do appreciate what the site is doing. But all a second review could do at this point is stroke my ego.

Comment

Working...
                                X