No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead at Age 46

Reportedly a drug overdose.

The actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York apartment on Sunday morning of an apparent drug overdose, according to a law enforcement official who requested anonymity because he was not certain the actor's family had been informed of the death.

The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46, had been found in his West Village apartment around 11:30 a.m. by a friend who had become concerned at not being able to reach Mr. Hoffman.

A cause of death had not yet been determined, the official said, but it appeared to have been the result of an overdose.

A woman answering the phone at Mr. Hoffman's New York production company declined to comment. "I don't have a comment at this time on that, thank you,- she said.
    Patrick Sweeney

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead at Age 46

He leaves behind several great performances. Magnolia and Synecdoche New York are two of my favorites.

It's very tragic to die at such a young age. May he rest in peace.

Comment

He made every film he was in better. It's a great loss.

Comment

HOLY FUCK!!

One of my favourite actors. So talented. Freakishly so,

Guess that screws up Hunger Games 3.
        M.A.G.A.

Comment

He was amazing in Almost Famous. One of my favorite movies of all time. R.I.P.

Comment

Such a brilliant actor, and one of my favorites. Magnolia, Doubt, and Capote were my favorite performances.

To be honest, I am a bit tired of losing so many artistic geniuses to substance abuse. But maybe it just comes with the territory...
            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

A gigantic loss.

It seems like drugs are doing for our creative world today what TB, typhus, VD, and simple starvation and neglect did for 19th Century geniuses such as Keats, Schubert, Nietzche, Chopin, et al -- numero sine qua non. I wonder if our Morrisons, Ledgers, Hendrixes, and now Hoffman will be remembered as sympathetically... If there is anyone to remember....

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                Guess that screws up Hunger Games 3.
                If I remember the book correctly, his character doesn't have a large role. Though they may have been planning changes, with his casting and with breaking it into two movies.
                Patrick Sweeney

Comment

He has three young kids. Jeeze. I don't get the whole drug thing.
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

My heart sank. I had read that he was having problems with addiction again. The man had been clean 23 years, hard to fathom what demons drove him to start again. I ache for his family, such a great actor.
                    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

It happens. I was alcohol-free for twenty years, and a divorce sent me back into the bottle for another six-month tour of duty. That was ten years ago.

Knock on freaking wood...

Comment

Very sad news! It always comforted me to know he was in a movie I was about to see - I knew he would elevate it. Really one of the best actors in my opinion.

Comment

F--k today. The only man who could play the title character of a film called The Master and make that title seem like an understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBoIPm5vEX4
                          Last edited by Eric Boellner; 02-02-2014, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Tragic.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                              He has three young kids. Jeeze. I don't get the whole drug thing.
                              I don't get someone who has acknowledged the need to seek counselling (and did), who has all the money in the world and none of the day-to-day hassles of working folk to get in the way, didn't get intervention pronto after falling off the wagon.
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Working...
                              X