Will an agent or manager sign a writer based off one script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will an agent or manager sign a writer based off one script?

Hi,

Let's say a writer has written a few scripts and they didn't really hit the mark. But his/her latest script is great, and its has caught the attention of several agents and managers. Will they want to see that writer write something else, or would they still sign them based off that one great script?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by ricther; 04-01-2017, 05:38 AM.

Re: Will an agent or manager sign a writer based off one script?

i've known writers who were repped and staffed on shows based on a single original pilot (though it wasn't the first thing they'd written by any stretch). it happens but i wouldn't want to count on it being my own way in

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      i've known writers who were repped and staffed on shows based on a single original pilot (though it wasn't the first thing they'd written by any stretch). it happens but i wouldn't want to count on it being my own way in
      Okay. I was just curious. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

I've had a number of managers who became interested in one of our feature screenplays and just tried to sell that one because they thought they'd be able to. They often didn't even want to read our other scripts even if we asked them to. Getting staffed on a show is different because in that case, they are hiring you for a continuing job. They're not just looking at what you've already written, but also what you will be writing for them in the future.

Comment

The most important thing is having at least one GREAT piece of material. Ideally you'd have more, at least an original spec pilot AND a feature, but one AMAZING script can be enough to get you signed.

What you should have though, whether you have written a single script or a dozen, is a bunch of actionable ideas. Once you're signed and your manager is sending you out on generals, you will likely develop one of them with your rep and be working on your next spec while your previous one is making the rounds.

Additional writing samples are ALWAYS beneficial, but I have heard of writers signing with only a single FANTASTIC (not just good) script in their arsenal.
          http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kfu3000 View Post
            The most important thing is having at least one GREAT piece of material. Ideally you'd have more, at least an original spec pilot AND a feature, but one AMAZING script can be enough to get you signed.

What you should have though, whether you have written a single script or a dozen, is a bunch of actionable ideas. Once you're signed and your manager is sending you out on generals, you will likely develop one of them with your rep and be working on your next spec while your previous one is making the rounds.

Additional writing samples are ALWAYS beneficial, but I have heard of writers signing with only a single FANTASTIC (not just good) script in their arsenal.
            How long will they give you to develop that next idea/script? If writers will be honest, it usually takes them a long time and multiple drafts to nail that script that breaks in. I've read interviews where writers make it sound like they just happen to write it in a few weeks and are such a savant that it was their first script or second.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
              How long will they give you to develop that next idea/script?
              Most reps will want to see multiple loglines and hear ideas. Once you identify which idea they believe has the most potential, you either work on a pitch or go away and crank out a first draft. On average, that shouldn't take longer than 2-3 months. Depends on how rabid your reps are and what you're employment/financial situation is like. Not all of us have the luxury of writing full-time.
              NOTES / COVERAGE
              15,000+ Screenplays
              [email protected]

Comment

Love the responses. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                  How long will they give you to develop that next idea/script?
                  Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
                  Most reps will want to see multiple loglines and hear ideas. Once you identify which idea they believe has the most potential, you either work on a pitch or go away and crank out a first draft. Not all of us have the luxury of writing full-time.
                  Yes, Andrew's given you the scoop.

(BTW, Andrew is the most highly recommended script analyst by S&S listeners. Not a plug, just the truth. Well kind of a plug, because he's a good guy, but an unpaid plug. Now, back to the answer...)

Generally that FIRST NEW spec (especially if you don't have any other material to show) should be developed as quickly as you can so your rep doesn't lose interest. It doesn't have to be ready to go wide to the industry, final draft condition, however. But a decent draft that you can show your reps so they can give you notes and you can then go back and polish. It shouldn't take more than 3 months so you don't lose momentum.

Ideally, most reps like a new spec, at least every 6 months going forward. That's not always possible, especially if you have another job (either you booked a writing gig or a day job) and most reps are usually understanding of it. But if you're not handing them a new spec every 6-12 months, they will not be happy. The longer your script takes to deliver, the better the condition it should be as well. If you give your reps a new spec every 3 months but it needs work, that's ok. If it takes you 12 months to hand your rep a new spec, it should be damn near perfection.

Good luck!
                  http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/

Comment

I was signed by my first rep off a single script. However, I honestly think that sort of thing was more likely a decade+ ago than it is now.

And I want to offer a word of warning, too. Not because the whole "develop an idea with a manager" is a bad idea, but rather because it can go horribly, horribly wrong. I've seen it crash-and-burn several writers I know.

My main advice is that you have to know who you are. You have to know what ideas your passionate about, and you have to write the projects your passionate about. Yes, managers want to see that you're not a one-trick pony, it can't hurt, but ...

Remember that managers rarely know what a good idea is. They tend to be reactive to the market, not proactive. They're much better at saying "no," than saying "yes," or helping you get to "yes."

So what often ends up happening (this happened to me, and probably a dozen other writers that I know personally) is that you spend a lot of time coming up with loglines, and they mostly shoot them down. Gradually, you begin to get frustrated - it feels like you're yanking your creative spigot open and then slamming it shut. Your enthusiasm wanes. Their enthusiasm wanes (because they don't know what they want, but believe they'll know it when they see it).

I've seen writers spend OVER A YEAR in that "we'll come up with something and you'll develop it together," place, never landing on an idea they both believe in, until the writer gets frustrated and just says, "I have to write something." The manager doesn't love it, and that ends the relationship.

Because the thing is, it's really easy for the manager to say, "meh" to an idea, it takes him 20 seconds, but for you to develop and battle test an idea enough to be willing to say, "this is something I'm willing to work on for the next six months" takes significant time and energy.

So I strongly encourage writers to be extremely wary of any sort of open-ended idea-finding process with a manager.

Know who you are, creatively. Know what you want to do.

Two years ago, I'd gone around to a bunch of managers with a script, and they all passed on it. Literally the first producer who read it picked it up.

This year, I've gone to a bunch of managers with a new script. I'm currently in negotiations with literally the second producer who has read it.

With that context, how is it possible to believe that any of these managers (many of whom are people with solid track records) would have done anything but discourage me from writing those two scripts?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                      ...With that context, how is it possible to believe that any of these managers (many of whom are people with solid track records) would have done anything but discourage me from writing those two scripts?
                      That is... disturbing.

Comment

I was signed by my first rep off a single script. However, I honestly think that sort of thing was more likely a decade+ ago than it is now.

And I want to offer a word of warning, too. Not because the whole "develop an idea with a manager" is a bad idea, but rather because it can go horribly, horribly wrong. I've seen it crash-and-burn several writers I know.

My main advice is that you have to know who you are. You have to know what ideas your passionate about, and you have to write the projects your passionate about. Yes, managers want to see that you're not a one-trick pony, it can't hurt, but ...

Remember that managers rarely know what a good idea is. They tend to be reactive to the market, not proactive. They're much better at saying "no," than saying "yes," or helping you get to "yes."

So what often ends up happening (this happened to me, and probably a dozen other writers that I know personally) is that you spend a lot of time coming up with loglines, and they mostly shoot them down. Gradually, you begin to get frustrated - it feels like you're yanking your creative spigot open and then slamming it shut. Your enthusiasm wanes. Their enthusiasm wanes (because they don't know what they want, but believe they'll know it when they see it).

I've seen writers spend OVER A YEAR in that "we'll come up with something and you'll develop it together," place, never landing on an idea they both believe in, until the writer gets frustrated and just says, "I have to write something." The manager doesn't love it, and that ends the relationship.

Because the thing is, it's really easy for the manager to say, "meh" to an idea, it takes him 20 seconds, but for you to develop and battle test an idea enough to be willing to say, "this is something I'm willing to work on for the next six months" takes significant time and energy.

So I strongly encourage writers to be extremely wary of any sort of open-ended idea-finding process with a manager.

Two years ago, I'd gone around to a bunch of managers with a script, and they all passed on it. Literally the first producer who read it picked it up.

This year, I've gone to a bunch of managers with a new script. I'm currently in negotiations with literally the second producer who has read it.

With that context, how is it possible to believe that any of these managers (many of whom are people with solid track records) would have done anything but discourage me from writing those two scripts?
                        What Ron says here plus 1.

Been there. Multiple times. Now I just write what I want, if my reps don't dig it I take it to folks myself. Had breakfast with my agent the other day and he said what all reps should be saying to their clients "I'm loathe to tell you to chase the market..." this was music to my ears. We talked about types of scripts that can open me up to new fans but we never once talked about specific ideas.

I think a lot of managers are wearing multiple hats these days and come from or feel that their skill set is in development with many now having a keen eye on producing too. Because of this they like to do the whole logline thing. Newer writers are then inclined to trust their opinions. But like William Goldman said " Nobody knows anything...... Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one..."

Regarding the OP's original question. Sure it can happen. It did for me but it was too much too soon. I hadn't found my voice. Maybe for some it's different but personally it took me another 2/3 years of bad scripts to understand where my strengths and weaknesses lay. Managers and their logline approach didn't help this either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
                          What Ron says here plus 1.

Been there. Multiple times. Now I just write what I want, if my reps don't dig it I take it to folks myself. Had breakfast with my agent the other day and he said what all reps should be saying to their clients "I'm loathe to tell you to chase the market..." this was music to my ears. We talked about types of scripts that can open me up to new fans but we never once talked about specific ideas.

I think a lot of managers are wearing multiple hats these days and come from or feel that their skill set is in development with many now having a keen eye on producing too. Because of this they like to do the whole logline thing. Newer writers are then inclined to trust their opinions. But like William Goldman said " Nobody knows anything...... Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one..."

Regarding the OP's original question. Sure it can happen. It did for me but it was too much too soon. I hadn't found my voice. Maybe for some it's different but personally it took me another 2/3 years of bad scripts to understand where my strengths and weaknesses lay. Managers and their logline approach didn't help this either.
                          What Ronald and Mintclub said. It should also be said, Managers are not the be all and end all. They are representatives who can get you in a room at their best. And impediments to your creativity at their worst.

And not your boss. Who writes the checks in the relationship? The writer. No one should be able to tell you what you can and can't write. The only way that happens is if you let it. I sat down with my manager at the start of our relationship and made it clear I was going to write what I want. Period. We weren't going to develop anything together. And what I expected from him was to get into rooms, send out my scripts, and I'd handle it from there. And we'd see where it went. And if at any time he wasn't happy with the outcome he could let me go.

We've been together for 5 years, through 10 produced films, multiple rewrite and write for hire jobs and a sold pilot. We understand each other. He does what I expect from a manager, and I write him checks. Is he a great manager? Kinda. He's GREAT at negotiations after I've gotten the job. He's great at getting money from people who owe it. Not so great getting me into as many rooms as I'd like, but that's ok for now. He doesn't tell me what I can and can't write. He doesn't refuse to send out my specs. He answers my calls. And even though he's now producing, like most managers, he's not attaching himself to my stuff.... because he knows I'd blow a gasket. Has he been a producer on any of my projects? Yes, one. Because he actually was instrumental in getting it made. No problem for me.

When you're a writer, you're in business. You're the product and you're the boss. Something you should never forget. Never operate out of fear, because then you lose. You want a manager? Nothing wrong with that. But as you talk to them, talk on an even playing field. Eye to eye, knowing you will never be working FOR them. You'll be surprised what kind of relationships you can get. And if they don't want that kind of relationship? Then they're not the one for you anyway.

Comment

Yes, Andrew's given you the scoop.

(BTW, Andrew is the most highly recommended script analyst by S&S listeners. Not a plug, just the truth. Well kind of a plug, because he's a good guy, but an unpaid plug. Now, back to the answer...)

Generally that FIRST NEW spec (especially if you don't have any other material to show) should be developed as quickly as you can so your rep doesn't lose interest. It doesn't have to be ready to go wide to the industry, final draft condition, however. But a decent draft that you can show your reps so they can give you notes and you can then go back and polish. It shouldn't take more than 3 months so you don't lose momentum.

Ideally, most reps like a new spec, at least every 6 months going forward. That's not always possible, especially if you have another job (either you booked a writing gig or a day job) and most reps are usually understanding of it. But if you're not handing them a new spec every 6-12 months, they will not be happy. The longer your script takes to deliver, the better the condition it should be as well. If you give your reps a new spec every 3 months but it needs work, that's ok. If it takes you 12 months to hand your rep a new spec, it should be damn near perfection.

Good luck!
                            I love your podcasts by the way. I go through them like hotcakes and have pretty much run out of episodes.

In your opinion, what has been the most effective ways of getting signed by a big time manager.

Comment

Thanks for giving your insight. It was fascinating to read your thoughts on this. It really does feel like you're working for them sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X