SALT kicks ass (might be mild spoilers - though I tried not)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SALT kicks ass (might be mild spoilers - though I tried not)

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
    you're reminding me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=8BMR...eature=related

bone is for the dog. meat is for the man!

LOL!

Yet we all know if it wasn't for the "script" Queen would've wiped the floor with her and her "tae bo".
    "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
    - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

In my mind the most believable action females of today's generation are: Angelina Jolie, Michelle Rodriguez, and Jennifer Garner. Jolie is ballsy with the jumps and adventure action, Rodriguez can actually throw a punch, and Garner had a heck of a kick on Alias. And all are gorgeous in their own way. And more importantly, they all look believable holding a gun. Aside from those three though....I can't think of anyone (currently - which excludes Hamilton and Weaver) who's at all believable in the action genre. Shame though, Garner turned to romantic comedies and Rodriguez has never been given the chance to shine. So all that leaves is Angelina. Hopefully Rodriguez will get a leading gig though she deserves it. I also hope Garner might consider a return to her action roots. She may be a little skinny sometimes but at least she was tall and had muscle tone and did a good chunk of her own stunts on Alias (she once even damaged a nerve in her spine from doing a violent fall herself).

Aside from those three ladies though, it's a pretty narrow field for BELIEVABLE action chicks at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
        In my mind the most believable action females of today's generation are: Angelina Jolie, Michelle Rodriguez, and Jennifer Garner. Jolie is ballsy with the jumps and adventure action, Rodriguez can actually throw a punch, and Garner had a heck of a kick on Alias. And all are gorgeous in their own way. And more importantly, they all look believable holding a gun. Aside from those three though....I can't think of anyone (currently - which excludes Hamilton and Weaver) who's at all believable in the action genre. Shame though, Garner turned to romantic comedies and Rodriguez has never been given the chance to shine. So all that leaves is Angelina. Hopefully Rodriguez will get a leading gig though she deserves it. I also hope Garner might consider a return to her action roots. She may be a little skinny sometimes but at least she was tall and had muscle tone and did a good chunk of her own stunts on Alias (she once even damaged a nerve in her spine from doing a violent fall herself).

Aside from those three ladies though, it's a pretty narrow field for BELIEVABLE action chicks at the moment.
        Interesting point. Hope I'm not gonna derail your thread too much, Bill, but with my female-lead action script going to packaging stage, I'm interested to see what people look for in a female action hero and who out of the following they see as a viable (and watchable) action star.

1) Angelina Jolie (as she appears in SALT)
        2) Jennifer Garner (as she appears in ELEKTRA)
        3) Kate Beckinsale (as she appears in UNDERWORLD)
        4) Milla Jojovich (as she appears in RESIDENT EVILS)
        5) Michelle Rodriguez (as she appears in every movie)
        6) Zoe Saldana (as she appears in THE LOSERS)
        7) Gina Carano (MMA fighter as she appears in HAYWIRE...and the arena)
        8) Uma Thurman (as she appears in KILL BILL)
        9) Sigourney Weaver (as she appears in ALIEN)
        10) Michelle Yeoh/Ziyi Zhang (as she appears in CROUCHING TIGER)
        EDIT
        11)Hillary Swank (as she appears in MILLION DOLLAR BABY) (Good shout, Nikee)

Maybe a top 3 or 5. Guess the question is what defines a female action star-

1) Acting
        2) Fight/Gunplay believability.
        3) Charisma/Screen presence.
        4) Stature/Muscles

Could you sacrifice acting for believability or Charisma for acting etc etc.

Thoughts?
        Last edited by Harbinger; 07-21-2010, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Good question - and I wonder if the answer is different for men and women. Yesterday SALT was at 80% on RT, with the males (except for Rex Reed) all liking it and the only female review (Christy Lemire from AP) disliking the film - her review was all about Jolie not being a believable action star and being too nice in one scene to be violent in another... as if people who like dogs can't kill badguys. This seemed strange to me - how many male action leads have scenes that show them to be nice, but we still accept that they can kill someone in the line of duty.

So I'm wondering if there is a sex appeal element involved. If part of the female action thing is some secret sex fantasy thing.

I think there's a charisma thing - a projection of being confident and tough - that makes me believe. If Jennifer Aniston tried to kick ass, I would not buy it. Too cute.

SALT has since slid down to 60% on RT... proving that maybe my taste is all in my mouth... or that I secretly want Michelle Rodriguez to spank me with a ping pong paddle (the rubber-nubbed kind, not the sandpaper kind).

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

harbinger - you should add:

hillary swank (as she appears in million dollar baby)
            it's not an action flick but she looked like she could kick asss - although i think rodriguez could take her... and there was no sex appeal in the character at all.
            i don't remember her performance in the karate kid so many yrs ago

and
            lucy lawless (as she appears in xena warrior princess)

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              So I'm wondering if there is a sex appeal element involved. If part of the female action thing is some secret sex fantasy thing.
              For guys watching female action heroines, I think you're definitely on the money.
              "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
              ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

The thing about Angelina is that she's sort of larger than life, so she's perfect for these types of large roles. There may be a tiny few others who can pull it off, but none has her glamor or looks or box office draw or real life mystique --she's about as Hollywood Royalty as they come. I see her alone at the top of the pyramid with very little competition, and if she does in fact retire as she just claimed to want to do, who is there to replace her? For those of us writing scripts with kick ass female leads, that just sucks...

Cameron Diaz has the body to do action, but could she carry a film? I loved Garner in ALIAS, she's much more suited to action than lame romcoms, but again, not sure she has that same draw. It's usually tough to transition from TV to film, few do it successfully.

What about whatserface from BLADE? She's got an athletic bod, can kick ass and her star is rising, if she does a few action flicks she could perhaps inherit the top position.

I don't think Hillary Swank is pretty enough to pull it off. I know how that sounds, but I also know it counts...

Comment

adding to the list

linda hamilton (as she appears in the terminator(s))

i can't believe you didn't add lucy/xena - that show was #1 in world wide syndication for 4 years knocking out baywatch

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                    adding to the list

linda hamilton (as she appears in the terminator(s))

i can't believe you didn't add lucy/xena - that show was #1 in world wide syndication for 4 years knocking out baywatch
                    Nikee, we're talking about women NOW, who can kick ass both in the role and at the box office.

Whether it's men or women, there is only a few handful of stars that command a film on their own. AVATAR we went to see because of Cameron, not because of any of the actors. KILL BILL we went to see because it was Tarantino, even though I personally loved UMA. Other films you go see because you love the novels or other IP (LOTR, Harry Potter), they have a fan base before the script was even written.

An original script with no built-in audience is a huge gamble in most genres, and when you put a female lead it's double the gamble (romcoms don't count). So if you take a film where the attention is not on the director, not on the IP, but almost exclusively on the actor, well then, ask yourself, how many chicks are going to get those box office dollars in a film in which they are the lead and in which they are basically replacing the likes of Matt Damon, Will Smith, Tom Cruise etc.?

Not that many

BTW, nobody went to see the TERMINATOR flicks because of Linda Hamilton. I love Cameron for loving strong chicks, he's one of the few who do, but they were Arnold films. But, when it comes to chicks, yeah, I think the guy rocks more than anyone else.

I think to achieve full equality between male and female roles it either has to be that a) the concept and / or director is so strong that it doesn't matter or b) that the female lead has the same larger than life appeal as a man, in this case Angelina.

I sort of love the irony that the more emasculated and whimpy male stars get in the movies, the more fierce and empowered the chicks become....

I mean definitely men are getting less masculine, and definitely the chicks are getting stronger.

Comment

From that list Harbinger, I think the only currently relevant, believable women would be: Jolie, Rodriguez, Jovovich, and Garner.

Beckinsale was nothing more than a fanboy's wet dream for one franchise, but she's no action chick in general terms by any means, and her last few movies have bombed. Saldana may have been cool when her entire body was blue CG and ten feet tall but The Losers tanked HARD despite a huge marketing focus on her as "the next Angelina Jolie" (BWAHAHA I laughed hard at THOSE headlines). She's a decent actress, but she doesn't have the presence which is why she was in the background for the first ten years of her career and aside from Avatar only plays "the girlfriend" or "the hot chick". She's much too skinny and lacks the presence to carry a film, especially an action one where she'd be the leading lady. Gina Carano? You're joking right? She looks like the girl next door on steroids. That ain't hot nor is it going to carry a film. Uma Thurman was super cool in Kill Bill but I gotta give that to great shooting by Tarantino and an uber-cool stuntwoman named Zoe Bell (who's actually trying to be an actress but unfortunately lacks "the look" to ever be a leading lady in a major, commercially successful film). Sigourney and Yeoh are both awesome, but past their prime. Ziyi Zhang is great, and cute, but that's the thing. She's cute. I dunno if she could pull off a raw sexual badarseness like Jolie and others.

So yeah. In my mind that only leaves us with Jolie, Rodriguez, Jovovich and sometimes Garner. But then you factor in that Garner pulled away from what suited her best so people sort of got over her, and the fact that Jovovich's films never do abundantly great, and you're only left with superstar Angelina Jolie and underrated/underused Michelle Rodriguez.

Comment

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
                        you're only left with superstar Angelina Jolie and underrated/underused Michelle Rodriguez.
                        See my post above, she lacks the IT factor, i.e, movie star appeal, i.e. a rarefied air that few breathe, even among the so called A-List.

Angelina stands alone. There is not an ounce of competition in sight.

ETA: with the right role, Jessica Biel could be positioned to take her place. Just a hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                          ETA: with the right role, Jessica Biel could be positioned to take her place. Just a hunch.
                          Left field, meet Rantanplan.

Seriously, Jessica Biel? I saw her in a damned Maybeline (or one of those cosmetics companies) ad tonight.

Comment

Rodriguez lacks the "it" factor? Holy crap that's crazy. She's got uber screen presence (like AJ, which is why, like AJ she's so polarizing) & is one unique girl. You think Biel has appeal? Lord, no. Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                              Left field, meet Rantanplan.

Seriously, Jessica Biel? I saw her in a damned Maybeline (or one of those cosmetics companies) ad tonight.
                              I saw that as well... so what, maybe not?

But hey, she's hot, she's got the athletic bod (BLADE), she's pretty enough, so much hinges on being typecast or not early on, I've (confession) actually never seen her in a recent flick, but she might just have the GRAVITAS to pull it off.

But for me, for the role I have in mind (and you know what it is, SS), well there is only Angelina. She IS the role.

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong, Jessica is ridiculously hot. I just don't see her as a superstar. (I think 7th Heaven ruined her for me.)

Angelina as BA? Oh yes, I definitely think so.

Comment

Working...
                                X