Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead People

So if someone dies, they lose their right to privacy. But is there anything to be careful about when writing about the dead? Should we avoid reading other biographies, for example?

Re: Dead People

Beyond the fact you risk having them haunt the **** out of you...?

Seriously, though, don't worry about legal stuff like this. Write what you want to write. If you write something brilliant that someone wants to buy, they will have sad, little attorneys in dank offices who will deal with these kinds of things. You ask this sort of question of the internet, you'll get a dozen non-attorneys giving you incorrect advice because they watched an episode of Boston Legal and read something on the internet somewhere. Spend your time writing, not worrying about this stuff. Horse/cart.

Comment

Re: Dead People

They still have a right not to be defamed. It is also not totally 100% they lost their right to privacy as that transfers to heirs in many jurisdictions.

I'm not an internet lawyer, I just had this discussion with my entertainment attorney. It ended with, "You're going to get sued if you keep the story this way."

So, talk to an attorney if you really want to keep going. There are several, several mitigating circumstances when it comes to life stories that would be impossible to advise on over the internet. Or, just keep writing and not worry about this small stuff and find yourself facing those lawyers listed above (even if you win, you still have to pay your lawyers), or find you wasted months of your life on a script that can't be produced.

Personally, I listened to my entertainment attorney.

Comment

Working...
      X