Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Articles, Books, Blogs, Magazines, Videos & Podcasts
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,755
Default 12 Things A Producer Looks For In A Screenplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrx7JWEuRkc

I happened across this Film Courage video and found it very informative and I got a lot out of it. Nice to see the words come from actual producers and their thoughts.

1. Emotional Response
2. Genre
3. The Hero/Protagonist
4. What Hollywood Needs
5. 12 Questions You Must Answer
6. It's Personal & Mandates
7. Red Flags
8. Strong Voice (POV)
9. Relevancy
10. Budget
11. Relationship (with writer)
12. Business (understanding how it works which is backward to how a writer and screenwriting books suggest it is)

It was worth the time. Valuable stuff. Could be good discussion material.
FA4
__________________
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,” Pablo Picasso
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
TigerFang
Member
 
TigerFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,609
Default Re: 12 Things A Producer Looks For In A Screenplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrx7JWEuRkc

I happened across this Film Courage video and found it very informative and I got a lot out of it. Nice to see the words come from actual producers and their thoughts.

1. Emotional Response
2. Genre
3. The Hero/Protagonist
4. What Hollywood Needs
5. 12 Questions You Must Answer
6. It's Personal & Mandates
7. Red Flags
8. Strong Voice (POV)
9. Relevancy
10. Budget
11. Relationship (with writer)
12. Business (understanding how it works which is backward to how a writer and screenwriting books suggest it is)

It was worth the time. Valuable stuff. Could be good discussion material.
FA4
It was going along well enough until “Number 9” came up and the card said “Revelency,” which is a pretty bad misspelling of the intended word “Relevancy.” Hmm.
__________________
“Do it now — write nothing but what your conviction of its truth inspires you to write.” — Percy Bysshe Shelley
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
sc111
Member
 
sc111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,460
Default Re: 12 Things A Producer Looks For In A Screenplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
It was going along well enough until “Number 9” came up and the card said “Revelency,” which is a pretty bad misspelling of the intended word “Relevancy.” Hmm.
I have a problem misspelling and mispronouncing relevant as revelant. I always have to double check myself. It may be related to the phonetic similarity of: prevalent.

So eyeroll me if you must.

Many of us have quirks with certain words or phrases.

Like: Bored of you. Should be: Bored with you. Or, Bored by you. But the incorrect version is so widespread it's being accepted as correct.

Also:
Their
There
They're

I've had email correspondence with lawyers who use each incorrectly. Guess they should be eyerolled, and their knowledge promptly dismissed?
__________________
Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. “Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.”
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
TigerFang
Member
 
TigerFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,609
Default Re: 12 Things A Producer Looks For In A Screenplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
I have a problem misspelling and mispronouncing relevant as revelant. I always have to double check myself. It may be related to the phonetic similarity of: prevalent.

So eyeroll me if you must.

Many of us have quirks with certain words or phrases.

Like: Bored of you. Should be: Bored with you. Or, Bored by you. But the incorrect version is so widespread it's being accepted as correct.

Also:
Their
There
They're

I've had email correspondence with lawyers who use each incorrectly. Guess they should be eyerolled, and their knowledge promptly dismissed?
It may be the brain’s normal functions do not allow for the sequence of the letters in combination with the layout of a keyboard that makes you often spell “relevant” as “revelant.”

Besides, everyone who’s anyone and writes makes these typographical mistakes these days, thanks in part to the availability of allowing the computer to autocomplete or autocorrect whatever we type. Maybe those attorneys need new secretaries if those errors easily slip by them.

If we forgive “revelent” (as it is spelled in the Film Courage video), then what comes next? Do we allow “irregardless” to enter the dictionary as a bona fide word? Oh, dear me! It's there already! Well, I suppose we could use it in a character's dialogue to show (not tell) the audience they see and hear an illiterate variety of bumpkin.

A video for the web ought to be thoroughly proofread before launching it. Besides making readers’ eyes sore and minds numb, typographical errors diminish the credibility and validity of a piece, just as they do for lawyers and their correspondence or for screenwriters and their scripts.
__________________
“Do it now — write nothing but what your conviction of its truth inspires you to write.” — Percy Bysshe Shelley

Last edited by TigerFang : 07-15-2020 at 07:11 PM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker