Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fade In Pro -- tips, feedback, requested features

Yes, I downloaded it earlier today. Works great, as usual with Fade In. Thanks!

Comment

Two issues with Fountain in Fade In Pro:

- when pasting Fountain code (Right Click>Fountain>Paste as Fountain), an extra blank line appears before the added text. Is this a design choice or a bug?

- it doesn't seem to support the boneyard function (/* some text */) yet.

Comment

If I recall correctly, the extra blank line is part of making sure that any Fountain formatting pastes in consistently and not part of an existing line (which could lose/misinterpret formatting). I'll have to take a closer look at that to see if (a) I'm right, and (b) it's [still] necessary and if something can be done about it.

And yeah, the boneyard function is just pasted in as regular text. The reasons for this is that there's not currently/yet a direct corollary for boneyarded Fountain text. Fade In could put it into a note, or fold it into synopsis text, but neither of those seem ideal or even desirable, so that present approach is to let the user figure out what to do with it in the Fade In document.

Comment

Even as someone who does not use Fade in Pro, I have to say with admiration, "Wow! Fast service."

As for the extra line that gets pasted in ... (1) I am just curious whether Dr. Vergerus is pasting into the same paragraph (after the last word) or onto the next line (into a new paragraph). I am thinking that the extra line might not appear if you paste directly after the last word but still in the same paragraph. (2) This kind of thing (the extra line that gets added) is so common in software programs that I hardly even notice it. I just expect it to be there, and without even thinking about it I just delete the extra line.

I am a big proponent of using Fountain, so I am glad to see that Fade In Pro provides the support that it does and is responsive to the requests of users.

Just as part of my software investigations, I have used a free online service to convert Fountain to the .fdx that FinalDraft uses. The conversion works superbly for everything that the service supports. But some of the less commonly used things are not supported. I think that dual dialogue and the boneyard were some of these, but I could be wrong.
          SIDEBAR: Why do I like Fountain? First, let me say that I do not propose it as anything but an enhancement to the writing process. But my reasons for liking Fountain are essentially two things:
          (1) I use a wonderful free program called Keynote NF (v1.7.9.4, beta 4), which is a tabbed notebook that has been around for a long time. With it I can keep structured information about characters, events, the plot, the subplot, bits and pieces of things that I have written, etc., etc. All of this is done under page tabs, with each tab having its own data tree. Anyway, I can write a complete script, or polish a text version of someone else's script, in Fountain format under one of these tabbed pages. I have all my notes right at hand. Then I can export the text of a script and process it into another script format.
          (2) I have been an amateur (I stress amateur) programmer for twenty years. I love the experience of using a few simple formatting rules and a few simple codes to prepare a document that will magically convert into a beautifully formatted script just by importing it into a screenwriting application.
          Best ...

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

You're right, ComicBent, I get the extra line if I paste as Fountain in the line where the new text should begin; if I paste in the last written line, then I don't get the extra blank line before the converted Fountain code. So this is standard behavior in code editors?

Comment

Will there be be retina support on the iOS Fade In mobile version in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                You're right, ComicBent, I get the extra line if I paste as Fountain in the line where the new text should begin; if I paste in the last written line, then I don't get the extra blank line before the converted Fountain code. So this is standard behavior in code editors?
                I'm not sure if it's standard behavior or not; paste-as-Fountain is sort of unique in that it implies a transformation from what you're copying from (i.e., plain text) into the destination format (i.e., a formatted screenplay).

If I recall the reasoning for why it was done this way, it was that a chunk of Fountain is always supposed to exist on its own. In other words, pasting on to the end of an already-existing paragraph doesn't have a clear interpretation. If you're pasting onto the end of a Dialogue element, for instance, should it always be interpreted as appended Dialogue (at least until the next paragraph break), discarding normal Fountain formatting rules? Or should it be context-dependent and the application make a best-guess at what it's supposed to be?

I think originally Fade In tried to do the latter, with the result that at least some of the time paste-as-Fountain would not give the formatting people expected, in certain situations. So the decision was made to always start a new paragraph for any block of Fountain pasted in.

(Now, there's still a possible question as to whether an existing blank line should just be swallowed by the paste instead of Fade In dropping down to another new paragraph for the first Fountain element. That's a technical detail that was, again, probably done that way for consistency. I can still take a look at that.)

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
                  Will there be be retina support on the iOS Fade In mobile version in the future?
                  What version of Fade In Mobile are you running? It should have Retina assets for the icons, etc. and the text should be Retina resolution (on a Retina device, that is).

Comment

As Fade in Pro said, I am not sure if it is standard behavior; I just know that it happens a lot.

Of course, you do not want to paste some Action right after the last word of some Dialogue (into the same paragraph) and have it all end up as Dialogue.

Probably the way in which Fade in Pro now works is the best practical solution.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by Fade In Pro View Post
                      What version of Fade In Mobile are you running? It should have Retina assets for the icons, etc. and the text should be Retina resolution (on a Retina device, that is).
                      I went into settings and increased font size, looks much better now.

Comment

Hey,

I don't know if this is still being monitored by anyone...

Anyway, I downloaded the demo and looks very snazzy but I have a very simple question. I can't get my head around having to tab in between consecutive lines of dialogue. Maybe it's my awful, European, dialogue-heavy writing, but 90% of the time I want dialogue followed by character.

I looked to amend the format but I couldn't see the option of changing which element came next.

Any help gratefully received.

JJ.
                        My stuff

Comment

Format > Element Styles > Modify Element Styles > Character > OK >

Look at the settings for Tab and Enter.

The developer is super responsive via Twitter or email too!

Comment

Hey Troy - thanks for that. Although now I find when it goes to Character and I press Tab (to change to action) it acts as if I've pressed enter - i.e. It pulls up the next name on the character list.

No worries though, I'll play around. Seems like a pretty nifty program for the price...

JJ.
                            My stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jay View Post
                              Hey Troy - thanks for that. Although now I find when it goes to Character and I press Tab (to change to action) it acts as if I've pressed enter - i.e. It pulls up the next name on the character list.

No worries though, I'll play around. Seems like a pretty nifty program for the price...

JJ.
                              JJ, maybe instead of Character, go:

Format > Element Styles > Modify Element Styles > Dialogue > OK >

and play with the settings there. Looking at it more, just change from Enter Key: Action to Enter Key: Character

I just use the defaults! :P

Good luck!

Comment

Cheers - will do. Only downloaded it yesterday so I should probably play around with it a bit more. I've always used programs with Alt+C/D/A for swapping between elements, rather than Tab/Return. But the extra features of FIPro are worth re-training my muscles for, I guess.

I did find that the problem above can be circumnavigated by switching off auto-complete - not ideal, but I tend to retype names etc instinctively anyway, so I can live without it if necessary.
                                My stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X