What contests are still left for this year?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What contests are still left for this year?

It seems like a lot of the big script contests are closed. What remaining WORTHWHILE contests remain, esp. for more artistic scripts?

Re: What contests are still left for this year?

Fresh Voices is still accepting as well as Scriptapalooza TV.

Not sure if they meet your definition of worthwhile, but I never considered my time wasted with them.
    "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

American Zoetrope's deadline is at the end of the month. It's run by the Coppolas.

In the fall/winter, there are a couple of big contests as well as film festivals, the most prominent festival being Nashville, the final deadline for which is in January. That is probably the most important festival contest after Austin, though there is a new sci-fi fantasy one in SLC called FilmQuest that might jump into that echelon. I'm from Omaha, that FF is late in the year too.

As for the non-festival contests, BlueCat and Fade In deadlines are in November.

There are also some ongoing screenplay contests that are monthly or based on a number of entries. Those are usually not worthwhile.

It's not really dead. It just looks that way because April is nuts and July is also big. The true dead period is just like the movies, Jan/Feb/March.

I have made myself a word document with all the major contests and what time of the year the final deadline is. It's formatted and everything so I can't just copy/paste. But I recommend others do that for themselves.

Comment

The Kairos Prize contest, with a $25,000 first prize, and the Chronos Prize contest, with a $50,000 prize, are still open. Early deadline is Sept. 17, 2014 and late deadline is Nov. 3, 2014. See www.kairosprize.com and www.chronosprize.com. Both are sponsored by Movieguide, funded by the Templeton foundation, for Christian and/or Jewish scripts.

Comment

trackingb's feature script is still open

Comment

bump...

Kairos and trackingb deadlines are Sept. 17th and Sept. 14th respectively.

good luck everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by jsay View Post
              Kairos and trackingb deadlines are Sept. 17th and Sept. 14th respectively.
              trackingb's Really Late Deadline for features is October 26th.

http://www.trackingb.com/?page_id=861

But per the OP's question -- I'd call them "worthwhile," but I wouldn't call them "artistic." They seem more commercial, mainstream, big studio.

Comment

Just entered my newest script in Zoetrope, a script which so far has received no love from any contest in its short life. However, it is a bit "off the wall", so hope Zoetrope likes its rebellious spirit :>)

Comment

I'm very interested in Kairos (I think there is a late deadline I can still make) The script is a modern day remake of a very famous literary work, but taking place in WW2 and the holocaust. What I'm concerned about is that the description on the website appears rather fundamentalist, whereas my work is more of a Bergman type script with a good deal of doubt as well as violence and some sex (with an angel and a man!).

I wrote to them and they said that the violence is ok as long as it's not gratuitous (battle scenes) but I worry that the doubt and sex may not be acceptable to them??? In the end, however, I think there is a strong religious theme--I just worry that it's not fundamentalist enough? Would they appreciate something like Bergman's Winter Light?

Comment

Originally posted by ket222 View Post
                    I'm very interested in Kairos (I think there is a late deadline I can still make) The script is a modern day remake of a very famous literary work, but taking place in WW2 and the holocaust. What I'm concerned about is that the description on the website appears rather fundamentalist, whereas my work is more of a Bergman type script with a good deal of doubt as well as violence and some sex (with an angel and a man!).

I wrote to them and they said that the violence is ok as long as it's not gratuitous (battle scenes) but I worry that the doubt and sex may not be acceptable to them??? In the end, however, I think there is a strong religious theme--I just worry that it's not fundamentalist enough? Would they appreciate something like Bergman's Winter Light?
                    Kairos is VERY specific about what they want (which is kind of refreshing in that you don't have to guess). I don't think your script sounds like it fits as it sounds more spiritual/humanitarian than spiritual/religious, though only you will know best.

Here's a few things they say on their website:

THERE ARE MANY SCREENWRITING COMPETITIONS THAT HONOR WONDERFUL, EXCITING AND ENTERTAINING SCRIPTS, AND SOME THAT HONOR MORAL SCRIPTS, HOWEVER THE KAIROS PRIZE ENDEAVORS TO ENCOURAGE THE PRODUCTION OF FEATURE FILMS THAT ARE WHOLESOME, UPLIFTING AND INSPIRATIONAL, WHICH RESULT IN A GREATER INCREASE IN EITHER MAN'S LOVE OR UNDERSTANDING OF GOD.

A WORD OF WARNING: THIS COMPETITION IS NOT FOR THE NOMINALIST, OCCULT, NEW AGE, OR OTHER NON-JUDEO-CHRISTIAN SPIRITUALITY. PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES AND CRITERIA. SUBMISSIONS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW THEM WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.

Furthermore, the judges consider whether the script is primarily spiritual, rather than merely humanitarian, and whether it resulted in a dramatic increase in either man's love or understanding of God. Considering this, the judges will decide whether the script communicates God's wisdom and infinite love in new, effective and creative ways, thereby helping people understand the relationship of God.

The script may be allegorical but should refer implicitly and/or explicitly to biblical principles, values and virtues, and/or refer specifically to the Bible.

Comment

FYI I made the semifinals of Kairos a few years back with a script that was challenging, violent, and ultimately spiritually uplifting. However -- it was more a representation of spirituality that was not specific to one organized religious dogma. That's probably why it had no chance of advancing further than the semifinals, and in retrospect, it was surprising it got that far. When you look at the scripts that make the finals or win Kairos -- and you read between the lines of what Kairos means by "biblical" -- you will see that they want scripts that are specifically Christian.

Be sure that you check out the movie rating website that supports Kairos. I did that after I entered the contest, and discovered to my horror that it was an ultra fundamental site that, for example, gave "Brokeback Mountain" its worst, avoid-at-all-costs, rating.

This is not to slam Kairos. It's a solid contest run with integrity. But as Dayjobwriter wrote above, their preferences are clear.

Late Night Writer

Comment

**bump on the last trackingb deadline... finishing up one for next Sunday's (26th) final deadline... good luck to all!

Comment

Tracking Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGuffin View Post
                            Just entered my newest script in Zoetrope, a script which so far has received no love from any contest in its short life. However, it is a bit "off the wall", so hope Zoetrope likes its rebellious spirit :>)
                            Me too! Good luck to you!
                            www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                            http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
                              Me too! Good luck to you!
                              Thanks stainjm! You too.

Comment

Working...
                              X