Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
DJ2
New User

Default Trying to find a broadcaster for my produced pilot

I wrote it, produced it and directed it. It's a half-hour comedy I wrote with cable in mind. What I didn't have a plan around was getting it seen by production companies and broadcasters. I got it in front of a few here in Canada but they seem to still be looking for the next Modern Family.

Any thoughts on how to get this show in front of the people who count?

I have no agent or manager.

Thanks
DJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
grumpywriter

Default Re: Trying to find a broadcaster for my produced pilot

Hard to do without an agent or manager. Also not sure if it was the best idea to make it yourself first, as your execution of it, in terms of filming, could be taking away from its potential as a script. My advice would be to make sure the script is in the best shape possible and then use the script to find an agent or manager who can then get THE SCRIPT to a broadcaster.
grumpywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpywriter View Post
Hard to do without an agent or manager. Also not sure if it was the best idea to make it yourself first, as your execution of it, in terms of filming, could be taking away from its potential as a script. My advice would be to make sure the script is in the best shape possible and then use the script to find an agent or manager who can then get THE SCRIPT to a broadcaster.
Concur.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
DJ2
New User

That makes sense.

I wouldn't go this route again. I'd shop the script. My thinking was that I wanted to convey the tone of the show and its potential by shooting the pilot. I feel that I did that and it turned out well. However, I've learned that TV is a lot different from features. Broadcasters want a heavy hand in development and aren't very interested in final products from what I can see.
DJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
DavidK

I've done this and it was very tough. I would also edit a teaser, possibly two versions with one using VO or title cards to introduce the premise and main characters and also have ready story outlines for the first several episodes or first season. Pitch it to development execs or EPs/commissioning editors at production companies who make the sort of program you've created and if you get a positive response they have the choice of watching the full pilot or teaser - test them with colleagues to see which does the best job of selling it. We were unable to sell ours and although it was a big disappointment it did open doors and a few of the key personnel in the pilot managed to get a different gig as a result, but it was an expensive calling card. I probably wouldn't do it again.
ETA - I don't know your background but if the production standards are in any way lacking I wouldn't show a pilot. Expectations are very high these days and the idea might shine more brightly on the page.

Last edited by DavidK : 08-08-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: ETA
DavidK is offline   Reply With Quote