No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An Open Letter to Franklin About the Black List

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
    This is quite literally EXACTLY how the site functions for scripts that are listed in the database (as opposed to hosted), an entirely free service for WGA members.
    Gotcha. That wasn't apparent from the FAQ section. At least for me, maybe I'm dumber than the average dude.
    DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
      This is interesting, mostly because it opens a whole other can of worms if you were the one trying to run the website, and relates to some of the unforeseen consequences I mentioned that you would have to anticipate if you were running this type of business.

The secrecy surrounding the industry professionals is obviously a buffer to protect them from over-anxious writers, among other things.

However the anonymity of the readers actually protects the BL in a way, by helping them to retain readers. Imagine if there was a reader whose name was known to all, and then imagine if her rating (the numerical score writers give their reader by way of feedback) were also public.

Some writers would complain that they 'didn't get the good reader', etc., and you also would have to imagine that some of the more sought-after readers could parlay their status into another job somewhere else, or perhaps their own private notes service.

The larger issue here though, encompassing almost all of the complaints, is one of precedent.

Suppose someone said "Why can't we just know what type of professional downloaded our script (agent, producer, manager), without naming them?" and FL decided that, well, gee, there couldn't really be any harm in that, and acquiesced.

Then six months later another group of totally different writers said "Well, why can't we just know the name of the company they work for?", again, without naming them specifically. "You've changed the policy before for those other people, why not us?"

You could see how doing something once would just lead to a never ending headache. Best to just let the rules be the rules and if you don't like them, don't play along.
      -No room for improvement? Even huge companies like MLB, NFL, NBA change the rules occasionally to provide better product.

-Franklin has already changed the rules of the BL pay site in the past.

-kinterboy, you should post a message to Franklin and tell him to stop asking for advice on improving the BL site because kinterboy has decided to "just let the rules be the rules".

-it's a bad idea for any business enterprise not to be open to change in order to improve its product.

Comment

As with anyone asking for advice, they're not obligated to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
          As with anyone asking for advice, they're not obligated to take it.
          carcar,
          I believe that was covered like three or four pages ago. I believe I mentioned that myself. Most adults understand this implicitly. But some people need it spelled explicitly, which is why I mentioned it in the previous post.

Go back and re-read my earlier posts if you are in doubt.

Comment

Please don't tell me to read something again AGAIN.

Comment

As usual, it looks like we've reached the point in the discussion where everyone's said what they have to say, so now they're saying it again with MORE EMPHASIS.

Comment

I wish I read this thread a while back before doing BL twice. Maybe it'll help someone. The reason why the downloads are secretive is so it can be said that the writer doesn't hassle the person/company downloading it. I get that. But having done several services it is my sneaking suspicion that many of the downloads/reads are from people who have no more ability to get things done then most of us here. Imagine you see the name of the reader who downloaded your script and you look up the name only to find he/she was a film student whose only credit is a short film for class or some middle aged guy with access to 50K and wants to meet women by being in the film industry who after experimenting uses the money to buy a Cadillac instead. Or a 20 year old mail room person who takes 12 scripts he/she thinks their boss might use and during a rare night out in the bar says "Pick a card. Pick a card" in which the boss shoots down each pitch after giving a speech on how they were going to be risk takers and not do what everyone else does, then goes into a tequila induced rant on how they should make an Avengers for a less then a million dollar budget. Said unnamed production company phases out within four months without making a single decision but a lot of talk.

Hey, anyone doing the Page Competition? Thinking about it. Sometimes I think it's throwing money away too. Thought I'd change the subject cause I get the point was made in the thread, but not enough people talk about the bottom feeders that circle many services claiming to be producers/filmmakers.

Comment

... Getting a download from someone who was a PA on 2 films and once gave a head nod to Bradley Cooper as he was getting a cup of coffee on the set so they've decided if they find the right material they can get it into the hands of Bradley Cooper because they have a connection.

Sorry for the snark. I've run into too many people who suddenly decide they will be a producer or director (or both) and they seem to mean it for that moment in time. Anyone who has responded to a craigslist ad looking for screenplays makes you very aware of how many "producers" are out there. I've encountered similar in other services. BUT that said occasionally I meet someone who is the real deal or has true intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
                    -No room for improvement? Even huge companies like MLB, NFL, NBA change the rules occasionally to provide better product.
                    Major League Baseball adjusts their rules quite often: raising or lowering the pitcher's mound, winding the baseballs tighter etc. However in almost every case, it is a reaction to lost revenue.

If the average runs per game drops, say in an era of great pitching, the attendance at parks drops, because casual fans want to see home runs, and so MLB moves the fences in to give people what they want.

This is business 101.

Hollywood abolished the Production Code in 1968. Not because of changing moral standards, but because 1967 was one of the worst years for movie theater attendance in history. So you give them a little nudity and they come right back.

Commerce dictates rules, always.

Comment

No attack on you. I was apologizing for my own snark didn't mean you to think it was anything else. I don't want to be known for snarkiness but thinking about how many experiences I've had with some "producers" who were everything I described opened Pandora's box. I've done a few dollar options on inktip (my own fault).

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
                        I wish I read this thread a while back before doing BL twice. Maybe it'll help someone. The reason why the downloads are secretive is so it can be said that the writer doesn't hassle the person/company downloading it. I get that. But having done several services it is my sneaking suspicion that many of the downloads/reads are from people who have no more ability to get things done then most of us here. Imagine you see the name of the reader who downloaded your script and you look up the name only to find he/she was a film student whose only credit is a short film for class or some middle aged guy with access to 50K and wants to meet women by being in the film industry who after experimenting uses the money to buy a Cadillac instead. Or a 20 year old mail room person who takes 12 scripts he/she thinks their boss might use and during a rare night out in the bar says "Pick a card. Pick a card" in which the boss shoots down each pitch after giving a speech on how they were going to be risk takers and not do what everyone else does, then goes into a tequila induced rant on how they should make an Avengers for a less then a million dollar budget. Said unnamed production company phases out within four months without making a single decision but a lot of talk.

Hey, anyone doing the Page Competition? Thinking about it. Sometimes I think it's throwing money away too. Thought I'd change the subject cause I get the point was made in the thread, but not enough people talk about the bottom feeders that circle many services claiming to be producers/filmmakers.
                        Very simply, the examples of the kinds of folks you're worried are downloading your script would never have gotten approved for membership on our platform.

Comment

Slightly OT, but since everyone is worked up about The Black List...

Please consider reading FREEDOM FORT now posted on the BL website. Writer members can download it: blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/39269

It's an action-adventure based on events following the War of 1812 and much of it takes place in the Chattahoochee River Valley near the hometown of BL founder Franklin Leonard.

Sorry to interrupt the debate...

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post

Please consider reading FREEDOM FORT now posted on the BL website. Writer members can download it: blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/39269

It's an action-adventure based on events following the War of 1812 and much of it takes place in the Chattahoochee River Valley near the hometown of BL founder Franklin Leonard.

Good luck, Clint.
                            http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

It looks very interesting Clint - congrats on the good scores :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post

I preferred DELIVER US FROM EVIL, but I'm a horror guy.
                                "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Working...
                                X