No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Archetype vs stereotype

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post

No one goes around after seeing a film saying, "wasn't that structure amazing?"
    I understand your larger point, but I actually do think this after seeing certain movies. Gone Baby Gone, Mystic River, The Social Network, (anything with a lot of characters and thru-lines) were all movies where I broke down the structures afterwards, from memory, for my own instruction. I'd have given Sorkin that Social Network Oscar just for the structure alone (the two trials in the present and the rest flashbacks), because it wouldn't have been nearly as affective had it been linear. Then again, I'm a dork, so...

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    I always love how around here people can argue "there are no rules" and at the same time police where things are posted. Why aren't you following the forum rules??? It's just fun irony for me.
    Bono's back! Good to have you back, Bono.

Comment

You can do archetypes and stereotypes all you want, if you do them well. Execution is what matters. Same with cliches. Cliches are extremely useful tools when used smartly.

I wouldn't worry about it that much.

Comment

All stories have archetypes: The Greedy business man, the thief on his last heist, the child with a dream. Archetypes are familiar story vessels that get used all the time. You can have your archtetype hero make stereotypical choices, that's what you have to watch out for. Is your hero making the same choices we've seen over and over in this genre and for this archetype. That's where you get stale as a writer.

Comment

Working...
        X