Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinch point?

What is a pitch point? Example of how it's used?
    Last edited by bjamin; 05-13-2014, 03:46 PM.

Re: Pitch Point?

Did you mean "pinch point"?

Comment

Probably. I heard Craig Mazin say it on scriptnotes. Thought he said pitch point but you are probably right and he said pinch point. Do you know what it means/wht it is?

Comment

never mind. I found out what it is: http://storyfix.com/story-structure-...3-pinch-points

Comment

I think this term comes from (or at least was popularized by) Syd Field in "Screenplay" but I don't remember and no longer have a copy of that book.

I will say that I have never heard anybody use this term in a development meeting. It's not a term I've ever heard writers tossing around when discussing stories. I would not expect anybody to necessarily know what it meant if I said it.

I have heard some other jargony stuff slip into those conversations (eg, Blake Snyder's term for the first half of the second act, the "Fun and Games" seems to have picked up some traction) and people talk about act breaks and midpoints all the time.

So by all means study these concepts and see if they help you understand how stories work better, but remember that what matters is your understanding of story, not jargon.

Comment

True. Thanks Ronald.

Comment

Yeah I think it's a take on a Blake Snyder-ism. I remember seeing a super heated argument once on another forum about the prospect of multiple pinches. It got personal.
              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

certainly not looking to stir that up here

Comment

My understanding is that the term "pinch point" originally came from Syd Field. It's a beat at the 3/8 mark (page 45) and 5/8 mark (page 75) of a 120 page script. Unlike terms like inciting incident, first act break, midpoint and crisis, I've rarely, if ever, heard pinch point come up in common usage.

Comment

I heard that podcast too and, if I recall correctly, Mazin mentioned the term as an example of nonsense buzz words that faux screenwriting gurus throw around.

Comment

Correct.

Comment

Re: Pinch point?

Pinch Points are new to me but upon reading the article mentioned above,I realized that is is something that many writers are using it without realizing it. From what I understand that it is a plot device to remind the audience that the bad guy is a douche.

I was once tasked with a script rewrite for a film that was to be shot in American Sign Language - entire cast and crew deaf, etc. In the plot, the two couples who were about to get married found out at the end they were half brothers and sisters. The director was so insistent that the movie end that way. Since it's his script and my job is to try and accommodate him, I asked him this question: "how do you know they haven't slept together already?"

He was taken aback. He didn't want that. So I wrote - I guess what you call - two "pinch points" to remind the audience that they never slept together.

One scene in where the guy begs the girl to move in with him. She reminds him of her vow to chastity and shows him her chastity ring.

Later in the script, the guys' best friend jokingly asks him if he's the last virgin in America.

Since this was a 60 minute indie those two key scenes worked well for what is considered a family friendly film. The director - who is an egomaniac - actually shot the scenes I wrote! The film went on to win best film at the World Deaf Film festival at Gallaudet U in 2010.

I'm guessing there can be several "pinch points" from each character to serve as a reminder who they are or what they are etc.

Bottom line is this - Craig is right - don't get caught up in the stupid buzzwords.

Just write.

Comment

Working...
                        X