X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Blacklist Secret Shopping Experience

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
    You floated the "Should" question and I threw in my two cents. No harm, o foul.
    Right? You really believe that it's a better approach to have readers read everything instead of genres with which they have experience and knowledge.

That would never fly in any other artistic field. Museums have curators for painting, sculpture, etc. and often even further divide those roles by era within that form. Would the Kirov Ballet ever hire Dave Scott to assess their auditioners? Does Random House have the same editors edit cookbooks and crime thrillers?

Why would film be any different?

Comment

Help me out here, because I'm really having trouble grasping why it's a bad thing that scripts are routed to readers who have stated a preference for those specific genres.

Having a reader familiar with your chosen genre is that they're much more versed in films that have come before. Thus, their standards for a good rom-com, for example, might be higher because they've seen EVERYTHING. They also might be more likely to recognize tropes borrowed from or at least similar to other films in the genre, even if they're obscure. Thus, the scripts that pass muster with that reader truly are the best of the best.

What possible reason could someone have for seeing that as a bad thing?

Comment

I read the strengths and weaknesses of Jai's evaluation (he posted it in an earlier thread). And if I were him, I'd be confused by his score as well. I think that most people consider the weaknesses, but sometimes the weaknesses seem greatly outweighed by the strengths identified by the reader.

My last point before I head to bed...

I've paid $125 to BL so far. And here's the thing: If I gave $125 to a scriptwriting consultant, my expectation is that the consultant will provide me with their opinion of my material and a sense of where I stack up in the grand scheme of things. When I submit my material to a management co. or agency, I have no expectations because my material is subject to their whim and I'm not investing any money with my submission.

When I submit my material to BL, I am not interested in a reader's opinion. I am interested in an objective analysis of my material. As objective as humanly possible. I submitted my payment just like everyone else and the BL is not a contest or an agency or prodco. If that's not what the BL offers, that's fine, but that makes the BL an expensive contest. .

If the BL is using the same evaluation process to evaluate scripts that interns and readers at agencies and management companies are using, what makes BL exceptional?

If the BL is attempting to revolutionize the way the industry works, then maybe there should be some more consideration to the way that scripts are evaluated
        Last edited by Rochée Jeffrey; 02-09-2014, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rochjeff View Post
          I read the strengths and weaknesses of Jai's evaluation (he posted it in an earlier thread). And if I were him, I'd be confused by his score as well. I think that most people consider the weaknesses, but sometimes the weaknesses seem greatly outweighed by the strengths identified by the reader.

My last point before I head to bed...

I've paid $125 to BL so far (still waiting on my second evaluation). And here's the thing: If I gave $125 to a scriptwriting consultant, my expectation is that the consultant will provide me with their opinion of my material and a sense of where I stack up in the grand scheme of things. When I submit my material to a management co. or agency, I have no expectations because my material is subject to their whim and I'm not investing any money with my submission.

When I submit my material to BL, I am not interested in a reader's opinion. I am interested in an objective analysis of my material. As objective as humanly possible. I submitted my payment just like everyone else and the BL is not a contest or an agency or prodco. If that's not what the BL offers, that's fine, but that makes the BL an expensive contest.

If the BL is attempting to revolutionize the way the industry works, then maybe there should be some more consideration to the way that scripts are evaluated.
          When you submit to the Black List, you get exactly what I've described here and elsewhere ad nauseam.

We're decidedly not a contest, and there are myriad ways in which we're different. I have to imagine that they're quite obvious on the face. For one, we don't offer prizes, a critical element, I would think, in what defines a contest.

As for revolutionizing the way the industry works, the results speak for themselves, and as has already been hashed and rehashed in this thread, we have given a lot of consideration to the way that scripts are evaluated and do it differently.

Comment

This thread is getting confusing. What do you mean you want a readers 'objective analysis' but not their 'opinion'?

If you're referring to points vs comments, I'd much rather have a readers written comments than just a flat numerical score with no comments.

And I don't understand why people are upset that readers get scripts in genres they like. That seems like a huge boon to both the reader and writer.

Comment

I honestly think there is not a single question asked here that hasn't already been answered, including questions about how Franklin wants to run his business, which goes way beyond the scope of what this thread is about.

Still, you've had plenty of answers, many of them, multiple times. It would be great to get back to the thread topic, if there's anything left to discuss.
              sigpic

Website
              Tweets
              Book

Comment

Having re-read the last 12 pages it's clear that the matter has been discussed at length, and re-discussed, and the thread is devolving into complaints about individual reviews, all of which make this the appropriate point at which to bring this to a close.
                "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Working...
                X