Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script Theme

I'm struggling right now with my script. For example say if my script is about STD's would it be better if it was about a specific STD(rarer the better) or more of mainstream/generic look which means more people would relate to it.

I know I should write the story I wanna tell and to me the more unique the better but I also don't want a 140 page script because I have to explain/set up everything I discuss.

Re: Script Theme

Originally posted by Hitman View Post
    I'm struggling right now with my script. For example say if my script is about STD's would it be better if it was about a specific STD(rarer the better) or more of mainstream/generic look which means more people would relate to it.
    Writing about an STD isn't the theme, it is the subject. A theme is more like a question -- can good overcome evil?

As far as explaining a subject -- you don't need 140 pages to explain an STD. A few sentences by a character would suffice.

Unless you're talking about a documentary?

Also -- I mean... how many people relate to STDs? Is that a subject people want to go see in a movie form? Why would they? That doesn't sound like entertainment to me.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
      Writing about an STD isn't the theme, it is the subject. A theme is more like a question -- can good overcome evil?

As far as explaining a subject -- you don't need 140 pages to explain an STD. A few sentences by a character would suffice.

Unless you're talking about a documentary?

Also -- I mean... how many people relate to STDs? Is that a subject people want to go see in a movie form? Why would they? That doesn't sound like entertainment to me.
      Thanks for responding. I should of been more clear. The script is about sex and the character gets a STD so would I be better off if it was a common STD or a rare one.

Comment

It depends on what you want to do. Do you want to give us new info about a disease we don't know about, real or fictional? Is it a mystery about what the disease is, or are you telling about the disease for shock value, for dark humor, or for educational purposes, or is the story more about how someone feels, relates, has his life and relationships change when he catches the disease? It's your story, your choices.

Comment

It should be a fictional STD that turns its victims into vampires, zombies, or-- best of all-- vampire zombies.

Extra points if you can work space hookers into the story. And, maybe an intergalactic version of the CDC that keeps epidemics in check by using laser blasters instead of vaccines.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman View Post
            ... say if my script is about STD's ...

I'm sure they'll trip over to read your script.

So, I wish you good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley View Post
              It depends on what you want to do. Do you want to give us new info about a disease we don't know about, real or fictional? Is it a mystery about what the disease is, or are you telling about the disease for shock value, for dark humor, or for educational purposes, or is the story more about how someone feels, relates, has his life and relationships change when he catches the disease? It's your story, your choices.
              Thanks for actually replying, funny thing is I read a review of a movie a few hours after posting this that helped me make my decision.
              Last edited by Hitman; 10-15-2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Scrotal mange! it is a thing, though more ovine than human
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

it's your story. write it. good luck.

Comment

Hitman,

I used to be a University Health Service physician.

I can tell you for sure that a story about someone who gets an STD is not going to work if you tell the story in a straight fashion. Such infections are extremely common. I mean, you probably have no idea how common. Some are easily treatable, others are not. But these infections, even the ones that persist through life, are not unique.

You might be able to make the idea work, a little, if you give it a special twist, like having the person with the STD worry about it as a mark of Cain, or something like that. But even then I would keep it satirical. A "serious" script about an STD is going to come across as heavy-handed propaganda. You need a contrasting character, someone who is not worried in the way that your character is. And your character needs to grow in some way.

But a screed about the danger of STDs, if that is what you are intending, is a vehicle that is already headed off the cliff.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                      Hitman,

I used to be a University Health Service physician.

I can tell you for sure that a story about someone who gets an STD is not going to work if you tell the story in a straight fashion. Such infections are extremely common. I mean, you probably have no idea how common. Some are easily treatable, others are not. But these infections, even the ones that persist through life, are not unique.

You might be able to make the idea work, a little, if you give it a special twist, like having the person with the STD worry about it as a mark of Cain, or something like that. But even then I would keep it satirical. A "serious" script about an STD is going to come across as heavy-handed propaganda. You need a contrasting character, someone who is not worried in the way that your character is. And your character needs to grow in some way.

But a screed about the danger of STDs, if that is what you are intending, is a vehicle that is already headed off the cliff.
                      Thanks. I was wrong to say theme. I mean is it better if STD was herpes or some rare STD people never heard of.

Comment

Working...
                      X