Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
count woodrow

Default REJECTION

I know this is lame but ...

I've gotten so many rejections in the last few days ...

Anybody got any success stories they can relate as sort of a morale boost -- especially stories about scripts that were rejected over and over again only to emerge as sold or optioned scripts down the road?

Appreciate it.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
sppeterson

Not screenplays but The Hunt For Red October got rejected all over the place, until it was finally first published by the Navy. I think Harry Potter got rejected by 23 companies before it was finally picked up.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
count woodrow

Thanks, Steven. Exactly what I need to hear! CW
Old 02-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
Jack0902

Both my first and second scripts have been optioned, both in the five figures. As the scripts found their way to the producers who optioned them, they were both rejected by several people along the way.

The key is to listen to why they were rejected. If it's "loved the writing, but we just don't want to do a romantic comedy," that's not such a bad thing. On the other hand, if people are saying "the writing is godawful and this is the stupidest plot I've ever heard of", then you might need to be a little more nervous.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #5
English Dave

Every movie made in the last 30 years has been seen and rejected by most of the other studios at script stage. it isn't necessarily anything to do with quality. Forrest Gump was rejected by almost everyone. They just didn't get it. Don't take it personally, it is the writers lot. You are trying to sell a Picasso to a blind man. But....as Jack says, look at your notes. Don't be the blind man yourself.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
count woodrow

Default REJECTION

Thanks, all.

Selling Picassos to a blind man is awesome! I'll remember that.

This is helpful because I don't know anyone who writes so I don't know what "normal" is or what is to be expected. Helps to come here and get some perspective. Once again, thanks.

CW
Old 02-26-2005, 06:34 PM   #7
landis26

"Usual Suspects"

I heard it got rejected by 28 companies. It won the Academy Award!
Old 02-26-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
RiskMandel

I have the coverage for Jurasic Park (a pass) which said that "kids want to cuddle with dinosaurs, not be hunted by them.

RM
Old 02-26-2005, 10:26 PM   #9
elephant1978

Count...the stories you'll hear on this board are only the tip of the iceberg on rejection. Believe me...no matter what you hear, it's worse. It's one of the true tests of a writer. Don't let it get you down. Everybody is hearing it and probably worse than you are.

But don't give up. That's probably more important than talent. Because you can develop talent. :\

As I like to say...don't let the bastards get you down.

Ele...
Old 02-27-2005, 07:09 AM   #10
KidCharlemagne108

Buy the book "Great Failures of the Extremely Successful" by Steve Young.

Rejection slip for William Faulkner's Flags in the Dust - rejected by 18 publishers"

"We don't believe that you should offer it for publication. It is diffuse and non-integral with neither very much plot development nor character development".

Richard Bach collected 26 rejection slips - he got lucky with number 27. Jonatahn Seagull has sold 30 million copies worldwide.

Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was rejected by over 100 publishing houses before being sold in 1974 - it sold 4 million copies.

"We don't like their sound and guitar music is on the way out" Decca recording Co. rejecting the Beatles in 1962.

" I think there is a world market for maybe 5 computers" - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943 - I guess Steve Jobs and Bill Gates never read this quote ;-)