Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2005, 12:00 AM   #1
Scriptman

Default Leasing a billboard to get read

So I'm driving east on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood today, and came to a stop at Highland Ave and noticed a billboard that says, "Hey NBC, I wrote Hawgs for you". Has anyone else seen this? It's from someone advertising his scripts on his website called jaythewriter.com.

I understand to each his own, but I guess it begs the question: How far would you go to get your script read?

He's been in the industry, but judging from his area code posted on his site, it doesn't look like he's in the area. Although it's the only billboard I've seen so far, apparently there's more than just the one. I guess it won't be long before an agent takes them all down, doing the same thing he/she does with a query letter.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
Hamboogul

I would go as far as sleeping with the female head of Plan B Entertainment (though I've been told that this might dissolve) to get my work sold.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
Kelsey

Jennifer Aniston?

I don't know how far I would go. When I get my eye on something, I tend to go for it. Not much stops or intimidates me. I tend to see that finish line, and I don't really care how, or at what cost, I get there, as long as I get there.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
elephant1978

I saw the billboard too. Seems wasteful since he only has a 6 page treatment for Hawgs. I would've written the thing before springing for the billboard.

Ele...
Old 01-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
nephilim

Scriptman,

I saw it too when I was in town last week. I was impressed just because of the cost.

The billboard on top of the boarded-up building on the corner of Santa Monica and Doheny costs 10k a month. Based on anything close to that, this guy is spending some money.

n.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
wildgrace

There's been talk about this guy. Word is though, that's it working and he is getting read.

Do not know if it's true, but that's the buzz on the writing web sites.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
elephant1978

But the damn thing isn't even written yet! He says on his site that he only has a 6 page treatment for this "Hawgs" thing. I don't know. Whateva!

Ele...
Old 01-29-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
LIMAMA

Default That Billboard Guy

Costner requested to read SAM BINGO based on the billboard. And the way I understand it, the guy got that billboard space for free by working his ass off for an ad agency.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:00 PM   #9
elephant1978

Default Re: That Billboard Guy

Why is it sort of depressing that this worked?

Ele...
Old 01-29-2005, 06:59 PM   #10
BetterThanNormal

I admire his ambition and drive. I wish had half of it. If this person succeeds he deserves it for this fact alone.

BTN