Need a question answered before I answer another...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a question answered before I answer another...

If someone asks for your script and you're willing to sell it (straight out) to them, can you tell them how much you want to sell it for?

Say an investor has asked (say they're looking for projects for the next year), and you've said you're willing and they ask how much? Can you say, "I'll let you have it for $1,000,000 or maybe just 500,000 cause the person selling needs the money?

Would that person be asking too much, at either price?

I'm serious here... "this person" needs to know as soon as possible. I know people do this, I'm just wondering if this person is asking too much.

Yes, I also know the going price is usually around 80,000, but this person is talking selling it outright, all rights... everything but written by or original story.

how much?

If you're seriously talking about selling a script to someone who MIGHT pay $500K-$1mil -- or even $80k, for that matter -- you should have an entertainment attorney involved.

And the "going price" you mentioned is around WGA minimum (which is not the same thing).

In my understanding, writers don't usually negotiate their own fees -- that's what agents are for. If you really have this investor interested, that should be enough to hook an agent.

Also, the NORMAL practice is to sell all rights. "Written by" is not a right that you retain -- it's a credit. Credit can be determined by contract but also by WGA arbitration in the event of a dispute.

Get thee to an attorney -- and pronto. It sounds like you're unclear on a lot of things.

LauriD

P.S. And you might want to read "The Screenwriter's Legal Guide" by Stephen Breimer...

Comment

Re: how much?

Right now these people have told the other that they
      remember a person's work, and was wondering if they could aquire it, and for how much. They have investors needing a project for next year and this script had stuck out in their mind.

They want to see the script to show. And wanted to know the purchase price.

That's all at this point, but they want the script... soon.
      We were curious as to a price to sell it outright.

:\

thank you for that advice, I will tell them it's important. Maybe I should talk about an agent, but probably not until the say they actually are ready to spend money, or would having an agent step in queer the not yet arranged deal?

Comment

agent

You don't want to talk "about" an agent -- you want to talk TO an agent. Also to an attorney.

Anyone for whom an agent would queer the deal is clearly not a professional and not someone with whom you would want to be involved, IMHO.

LauriD

Comment

Price is negotiated.

So you say $1 million, and they say $10, and you say $750k, and they say $15, and you say $600k, and they say $20, and... eventually you agree on a price.

But usually they have a price in mind they want to pay, and if there's no reason why they should pay more (competition) they won't even consider it.

Lawyers or agents usually do this stuff.

- Bill ("I don't have a lawyer... have him call my dentist" - Woody Allen)

Comment

Working...
          X